• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TE Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
At is point I wouldn’t complain with Gesicki in the first. I don’t think he’s this rare talent. He’s a very good one and a very good athlete but I don’t see future megastar. I potentially see that with Goedert. Won’t complain at all.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
At is point I wouldn’t complain with Gesicki in the first. I don’t think he’s this rare talent. He’s a very good one and a very good athlete but I don’t see future megastar. I potentially see that with Goedert. Won’t complain at all.
This is in reference to my post on another thread and I feel attacked and you're wrong.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ok seriously, yall gotta tell me wtf you see in goedert lol. i watch him time and time again, looking for this appeal, and i cant find it. im watching right now, for the third time today, and like the tenth time in the past few days, and i STILL DONT SEE IT. like i dont see any more than a third rounder at best. he is slower than most of the LBs he runs against, i have never seen less effort at actual route running, hes maxx williams levels of awkward in his motions, stiff, hunchbacked, slow getup, severe lack of agility and ability to change direction, clunky feet, and i wanna reiterate absolute zero attempt to run anything resembling an actual route, he is playing shit tier competition and looks like hes jogging all over the field and never gains separation because his routes are lazy and ugly and sloppy.

the ONLY thing he does well, is highpoint/box out/spectacular catch, and he does that while gaining zero separation vs small school competition due to a lack of explosion and general athleticism, that skill set, or lack thereof, is gonna get eaten alive in the NFL. he looks like hes playing vs rec league players when hes making these big catches, guys look clueless, vs NFL defenders gaining no separation at all, these passes will be telegraphed and easily played.

if he can box out and highpoint against NFL defenders at the same rate, then he could be good, antonio gates-esque, unfortunately i dont think he can, he simply lacks the ability to gain those small amounts of separation that you need to make those plays and doesnt seem to be the most savvy player either, as he doesnt do much for leverage and positioning either. i just see him trot on down the field and lay out for whatever ball the qb throws to him, which is admirable, but he is so incredibly raw and average athletically that i just dont see how hes a quality NFL TE unless he seriously takes well to coaching and his route game improves tenfold.

if you have examples to change my mind, please provide them, because i am hearing goedert touted as a first rounder a LOT and i am worried that he might be on the ravens radar in a big way for the first round, and as it stands currently id be PISSED.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok seriously, yall gotta tell me wtf you see in goedert lol. i watch him time and time again, looking for this appeal, and i cant find it. im watching right now, for the third time today, and like the tenth time in the past few days, and i STILL DONT SEE IT. like i dont see any more than a third rounder at best. he is slower than most of the LBs he runs against, i have never seen less effort at actual route running, hes maxx williams levels of awkward in his motions, stiff, hunchbacked, slow getup, severe lack of agility and ability to change direction, clunky feet, and i wanna reiterate absolute zero attempt to run anything resembling an actual route, he is playing shit tier competition and looks like hes jogging all over the field and never gains separation because his routes are lazy and ugly and sloppy.

the ONLY thing he does well, is highpoint/box out/spectacular catch, and he does that while gaining zero separation vs small school competition due to a lack of explosion and general athleticism, that skill set, or lack thereof, is gonna get eaten alive in the NFL. he looks like hes playing vs rec league players when hes making these big catches, guys look clueless, vs NFL defenders gaining no separation at all, these passes will be telegraphed and easily played.

if he can box out and highpoint against NFL defenders at the same rate, then he could be good, antonio gates-esque, unfortunately i dont think he can, he simply lacks the ability to gain those small amounts of separation that you need to make those plays and doesnt seem to be the most savvy player either, as he doesnt do much for leverage and positioning either. i just see him trot on down the field and lay out for whatever ball the qb throws to him, which is admirable, but he is so incredibly raw and average athletically that i just dont see how hes a quality NFL TE unless he seriously takes well to coaching and his route game improves tenfold.

if you have examples to change my mind, please provide them, because i am hearing goedert touted as a first rounder a LOT and i am worried that he might be on the ravens radar in a big way for the first round, and as it stands currently id be PISSED.

mike mayock seems to agree with you - goedert is 62nd in his rankings...

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

The hunchback does bother me. What I will say is this about him though....hes a natural hands catcher and great with contested catches, produced and domimated at the fcs and has potential to get better because hes still very raw. However he definetly is not a vertical seam TE that we need. I think he will struggle early on in his career until he learns to run routes and gets stronger.

He just has those great ball skils while gaurded and production to boot. He seems reliable and has a great frame.

Gesicki has all that but has more speed to stretch the seam in my eyes. Hes a bettef athlete, just not a blocker. But his leaping ability and ball skills could make him a redzone threat early while he develops his game. Im not sure Goedert is AS good a redzone threat as Gesicki

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont like the way Andrews and Goedert run.....i feel like they will gain no speeration in the NFL. I think Goedert can at least improve on his route running but they both get off the line so slow

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The hunchback does bother me. What I will say is this about him though....hes a natural hands catcher and great with contested catches, produced and domimated at the fcs and has potential to get better because hes still very raw. However he definetly is not a vertical seam TE that we need. I think he will struggle early on in his career until he learns to run routes and gets stronger.

He just has those great ball skils while gaurded and production to boot. He seems reliable and has a great frame.

Gesicki has all that but has more speed to stretch the seam in my eyes. Hes a bettef athlete, just not a blocker. But his leaping ability and ball skills could make him a redzone threat early while he develops his game. Im not sure Goedert is AS good a redzone threat as Gesicki
i think goedert has a long shot chance to play like an antonio gates after about 3 years of developing(and thats if he can do a massive amount of developing), meanwhile i think gesicki has a damn solid chance to look like jimmy graham in his prime, i simply cant find weakness to gesickis game outside of blocking.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think goedert has a long shot chance to play like an antonio gates after about 3 years of developing(and thats if he can do a massive amount of developing), meanwhile i think gesicki has a damn solid chance to look like jimmy graham in his prime, i simply cant find weakness to gesickis game outside of blocking.
This is true....it just comes down to how much your team values blocking from a TE. Cant say for sure where we stand there

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This is true....it just comes down to how much your team values blocking from a TE. Cant say for sure where we stand there
maxx should come very cheap, re-sign him and that stupid problem goes away lol. you can have your 2 way average receiving good blocking TE and you have an elite flex TE. one blocking TE works for me plenty, 2 is nice but unnecessary.

and if thats the case, go for hurst i say, hurst is a far better blocker and receiver and hes ready from day one, goedert simply isnt gonna contribute his first year, i just cant see how he can. his highlights are jaw dropping but his actual film is horrid.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Last edited: