• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TE Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean what constitutes “intense interest” - did our representatives at his proday stare at him slightly harder and lovingly than other staffs?
Probably, if I'm guessing has more to do with what he's heard by way of his contacts and How high a priority a player might be perceived as being to a particular organization.

Simba

Staff Member
Pauline has great contacts at some of these smaller schools/programs, for what it’s worth.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
This thread need to be more active. We need a pass catching TE probably just as much as WR. Odds are 1 of our first 2 picks will be TE (especially if we trade down from 16).

Between Goedert, Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, and Thomas who do you guys think is the best fit Flacco? I

think it might be Andrews but he would be 4th on that list for me in terms of potential

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
This thread need to be more active. We need a pass catching TE probably just as much as WR. Odds are 1 of our first 2 picks will be TE (especially if we trade down from 16).

Between Goedert, Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, and Thomas who do you guys think is the best fit Flacco? I

think it might be Andrews but he would be 4th on that list for me in terms of potential
I like Thomas the most. I think he'll be as good or possibly better than Pitta as a recieving TE, plus he's a great blocker.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hurst is my favourite but I wish he was a year or 2 younger (albeit that’s not the biggest concern) and he’s certainly the likeliest rookie contributor

I think Thomas might turn out to be the cream of the class though if he ends up in a good situation

I under the radar like Tyler Conklin quite a bit too but he’s a gamble because of his injuries - but he’d be a great day 3 pickup who could well out play his draft position

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hurst is my favourite but I wish he was a year or 2 younger (albeit that’s not the biggest concern) and he’s certainly the likeliest rookie contributor

I think Thomas might turn out to be the cream of the class though if he ends up in a good situation

I under the radar like Tyler Conklin quite a bit too but he’s a gamble because of his injuries - but he’d be a great day 3 pickup who could well out play his draft position
Conklin is the sloppiest son of a bitch I've ever seen lol. He looks so fucking weird with every motion, he's like a blitz N64 player in real life

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I really like Herndon as a receiving TE. His route running needs help but he's got more speed than you'd expect from a TE.

Simba

Staff Member
TE is tough because there's a top 5 and then not much afterwards.

Hurst is one of the rare TEs who I think is ready to play day 1, but he's on the old side for a rookie and that's concerning. He's not the fastest or strongest but does everything well. He might be maxed out which isn't a good or a bad thing.

Goedert might be the best from this class but needs some work. He's also well rounded with the chance to grow into a better player, whereas Hurst might be maxed out.

Gesicki is a pure pass catcher, and one of the rare times I'm willing to overlook blocking because he's such a mismatch.

Andrews... I'm not a fan. I don't think he plays near as fast as the numbers would indicate. I don't think he can get away with not blocking like Gesicki can.

Thomas might actually give Goedert a run for his money for the best if he reaches his potential, but he's going to need a year or two of development.

After that... Herndon is as raw as could be but at least has a high ceiling. Conklin is a sleeper but not a field stretcher like we need.

The problem is the value with these guys. I'm not convinced any of the top 3 are worth 16, but doubt any of them will make it to 52 either. Unless there's a trade back, I think Thomas makes the most sense. It might not be an immediate solution, but I think he could pay off in the future given the time to develop.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really like Herndon as a receiving TE. His route running needs help but he's got more speed than you'd expect from a TE.
All aboard the Herndon hype train.

If he’s used more than just on bubble screens he’s a top 5 TE. But I can’t blame Miami for using him like that I guess. He’s the best TE after the catch in this class.

But this man will shred in the intermediate - deep range in the NFL. He’s actually a surprisingly decent route runner from being a high school receiver. No more raw than Thomas. He’s mainly just a raw blocker but he will throw his body in there. He’s not afraid to block, give him some time and he will be a complete tight end.

He’s got a lot of developing to do but I think Herndon has the best value at tight end in this class. If not for missing the combine/pro day and being underused at Miami, he’s a day 2 pick. For a guy who might go in the 5th round? Count me in.

If we don’t trade back and pick one of the top 3 TEs I really hope we get Thomas or Herndon.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Top 5 TEs for Ravens

1. (1st) Goedert - hes the most productive and probably fits our offense the easiest as he played the true position throughout college unlike Gesicki
2. (1st/ 2nd) Gesicki - best pass catching ability in this class and his highpointing and athleticism is unmatched. Boom or bust prospect and he may be a one trick pony comming into the league
3. (2nd/3rd) Thomas - Baltimore native so thays cool lol. Could become the best TE in this class but his lack of volume and production does worry me a little
4. (2nd/3rd) Hurst - High floor low ceiling type prospect in my eyes, has good athleticism and might be the most well rounded and NFL ready of the group
5. (3rd/4th) Andrews - smooth route runner with strong hands and plus after catch ability. Shows ability to handle large volume of targets yet is more effective vs zone. Doesnt block very well but i think he can get better. Hed be great value in the 3rd or 4th but im not sure id pick him in the 2nd over any of the other guys even if he is a good fit for Flacco

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Havent watched anything on Herndon yet but i love looking at the "sources tell us" quotes on NFL.com player profiles and this is one of them. Maybe cause it sounds like it could be from us lol

Sources Tell Us

"He's a good athlete and has ability to make big plays which is what I care about. He's not a soft blocker either. He's just really raw with everything. I'm okay with that. You take those guys later and you let your coaches develop them. It's all coachable for him." -- AFC team executive (Eric Decosta :huh:)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Havent watched anything on Herndon yet but i love looking at the "sources tell us" quotes on NFL.com player profiles and this is one of them. Maybe cause it sounds like it could be from us lol

Sources Tell Us

"He's a good athlete and has ability to make big plays which is what I care about. He's not a soft blocker either. He's just really raw with everything. I'm okay with that. You take those guys later and you let your coaches develop them. It's all coachable for him." -- AFC team executive (Eric Decosta :huh:)

Not sure that sounds like decosta but the one I think is definitely us is the Antonio callaway one

But I agree it’s the first thing I look for when reading those profiles

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm probably a bit biased here but I would have no issue taking Thomas in the 2nd, since I think he can be a day 1 starter for us.
Hes been a fast riser throughout the draft process. Has as much potential as any TE in this class. I doubt hed be available in the 3rd now

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm probably a bit biased here but I would have no issue taking Thomas in the 2nd, since I think he can be a day 1 starter for us.
I wouldn’t mind because he’s gonna be a good player but it really just depends on who’s left on the board at that time.

There will probably be better players available, just maybe not at tight end.