• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TE Thread

Simba

Staff Member
I wouldn’t mind because he’s gonna be a good player but it really just depends on who’s left on the board at that time.

There will probably be better players available, just maybe not at tight end.

That's the hard part with TE being such a massive hole both now and in the future. We absolutely have to address the problem, but how much are we willing to reach to do that? I know they preach BPA but I don't believe for a second they'll exit the draft without one, and that might require drafting someone a little higher than they should go.

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's the hard part with TE being such a massive hole both now and in the future. We absolutely have to address the problem, but how much are we willing to reach to do that? I know they preach BPA but I don't believe for a second they'll exit the draft without one, and that might require drafting someone a little higher than they should go.
I agree. Another problem is that whoever we bring in at TE will end up getting a ton of targets. The one question i have with Thomas is whether or not he can handle high volume targets. I know Gesicki, Goedert, Andrews, and Hurst could handle the amount of targets because ive seen them do it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think there's guys like julius thomas still out there in free agency who we can go to if we get really stuck and dont land a top one because id rather get a wr or an ol (if they are the value picks) over reaching for a tight end especially with the lengthier transition (generally) for tight ends in the nfl

obviously id rather we get one (or had one already) but id rather we didnt force it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think there's guys like julius thomas still out there in free agency who we can go to if we get really stuck and dont land a top one because id rather get a wr or an ol (if they are the value picks) over reaching for a tight end especially with the lengthier transition (generally) for tight ends in the nfl

obviously id rather we get one (or had one already) but id rather we didnt force it
Julius Thomas is 100% worthless

Simba

Staff Member
I agree. Another problem is that whoever we bring in at TE will end up getting a ton of targets. The one question i have with Thomas is whether or not he can handle high volume targets. I know Gesicki, Goedert, Andrews, and Hurst could handle the amount of targets because ive seen them do it.

I don't really care about college production unless a guy is not producing because he doesn't have the traits. Thomas has the traits to be a valuable receiver - the college game is just so bad about using TEs. That's why it's so hard with them - it's usually projection and because it's a forgotten position of sorts in college, it's a hard adjustment to everything that is required in the NFL.

Simba

Staff Member

I'd rather just stick with Boyle and Maxx for a year than touch anything that's left on the market. Missing out on some of their targets really put them in a hole.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Julius Thomas is 100% worthless

I'd rather just stick with Boyle and Maxx for a year than touch anything that's left on the market. Missing out on some of their targets really put them in a hole.

im confident we'll be able to find other teams' junk at tight end that will suffice for a year if we dont get one in the draft - but yeah its the position where we are most stuck

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't really care about college production unless a guy is not producing because he doesn't have the traits. Thomas has the traits to be a valuable receiver - the college game is just so bad about using TEs. That's why it's so hard with them - it's usually projection and because it's a forgotten position of sorts in college, it's a hard adjustment to everything that is required in the NFL.
I will say he LOOKS the part of an NFL TE and plays the position as true as any TE in this class.

Simba

Staff Member
I will say he LOOKS the part of an NFL TE and plays the position as true as any TE in this class.

I’m a big Thomas fan. Just wish we had a veteran in place while he learns if we did end up picking him. He has a high ceiling, but it’s going to take time and obviously there are no guarantees. I think the top 3 (at least, my top 3) are able to play and make an impact from day 1.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m a big Thomas fan. Just wish we had a veteran in place while he learns if we did end up picking him. He has a high ceiling, but it’s going to take time and obviously there are no guarantees. I think the top 3 (at least, my top 3) are able to play and make an impact from day 1.

I’m not so sure those top 3 necessarily come in straight away and perform - I think Hayden hurst will be an instant contributor but gesicki and Goedert might find their rookie year a bit harder than you’d hope based on the history of the position

Simba

Staff Member
I’m not so sure those top 3 necessarily come in straight away and perform - I think Hayden hurst will be an instant contributor but gesicki and Goedert might find their rookie year a bit harder than you’d hope based on the history of the position

I’m not expecting major impact. I guess I should clarify that. Like you said, I think Hurst is a rare TE that is pretty much fully ready now. Not sure if any team will ask him to block, but if they don’t, I think Gesicki can make an impact as a receiver. Goedert is the one of the top 3 I’m least confident about, but I still see a solid impact from him.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It won't be a problem if said TE can get open and produce on a normal basis.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
something bothers me about hayden hurst... hes 24 already, hes been in professional sports training programs(granted it wasnt football), and his body is maxed out, so why does he simply not look nearly as imposing as the other NFL TEs with a similar skill set? he looks tall and lanky, like a jimmy graham, yet his skill set is reminiscent of a gronk/kelce/olson. i feel like he should look a lot more filled out and dense. he has grown on me, but i feel like he should look a lot different considering his age and experience with workout programs. also, why is he used as a blocker so goddamn much? hes a talented receiver, he certainly shouldve been used more as a catcher, he spends more passing snaps blocking in space(in a totally illegal fashion by nfl rules) than he does running routes, it pisses me off.

hes getting some steam being linked to the ravens, seems to be completely out of the blue, but i think hes always been a sleeper for us and im fine with him in the 2nd.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
something bothers me about hayden hurst... hes 24 already, hes been in professional sports training programs(granted it wasnt football), and his body is maxed out, so why does he simply not look nearly as imposing as the other NFL TEs with a similar skill set? he looks tall and lanky, like a jimmy graham, yet his skill set is reminiscent of a gronk/kelce/olson. i feel like he should look a lot more filled out and dense. he has grown on me, but i feel like he should look a lot different considering his age and experience with workout programs. also, why is he used as a blocker so goddamn much? hes a talented receiver, he certainly shouldve been used more as a catcher, he spends more passing snaps blocking in space(in a totally illegal fashion by nfl rules) than he does running routes, it pisses me off.

hes getting some steam being linked to the ravens, seems to be completely out of the blue, but i think hes always been a sleeper for us and im fine with him in the 2nd.
I like most these tight ends coming out but yes Hurst shouldn't be a 1st round guy. I feel like I liked Maxx Williams film more and he still hasn't shown up. Then we get guys like Pitta later that come in and produce. Definitely a hit and miss position and I think I would rather draft a younger TE that can grow more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like most these tight ends coming out but yes Hurst shouldn't be a 1st round guy. I feel like I liked Maxx Williams film more and he still hasn't shown up. Then we get guys like Pitta later that come in and produce. Definitely a hit and miss position and I think I would rather draft a younger TE that can grow more.

i guess it reduces our disguise elements but id much rather get a pure move tight end than a 2 way tight end tbh - we've got exceptional blockers already and adding a 2 way tight end increases our deception possibilities but in pure offensive potential would reduce our ability to create lanes in the run game and would reduce the receiving skills

i think hurst and goedert are the top 2 tight ends in the draft but from a value standpoint i think id much rather gesicki (if he falls to 52) or thomas if he falls to 83 would be an absolute bargain

Sooky

Pro Bowler
i guess it reduces our disguise elements but id much rather get a pure move tight end than a 2 way tight end tbh - we've got exceptional blockers already and adding a 2 way tight end increases our deception possibilities but in pure offensive potential would reduce our ability to create lanes in the run game and would reduce the receiving skills

i think hurst and goedert are the top 2 tight ends in the draft but from a value standpoint i think id much rather gesicki (if he falls to 52) or thomas if he falls to 83 would be an absolute bargain
I really really love Goedert and Hurst. But I agree I think people are too fascinated in finding a guy that can do it all. I think this team needs to focus on finding a weapon that can get 50-60 passes a season at tight end. If we really want a blocking tight end why not just use more 6 o-linemen sets? The Ravens offense has been way too vanilla for too long they need some talent injected very bad.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really really love Goedert and Hurst. But I agree I think people are too fascinated in finding a guy that can do it all. I think this team needs to focus on finding a weapon that can get 50-60 passes a season at tight end. If we really want a blocking tight end why not just use more 6 o-linemen sets? The Ravens offense has been way too vanilla for too long they need some talent injected very bad.

the biggest tight end weapons (outside of rob gronkowski) are mostly just glorified large wide receivers and that creates the mismatches you need

Sooky

Pro Bowler
the biggest tight end weapons (outside of rob gronkowski) are mostly just glorified large wide receivers and that creates the mismatches you need
Yes when I think of tight ends you think of Jordan Reed or Jimmy Graham or Evan Engram after last year. Pitta was strictly just a receiver for us for the most part but he got open. That is what the team needs. A receiving threat to open up the run game and the passing game on the outside.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes when I think of tight ends you think of Jordan Reed or Jimmy Graham or Evan Engram after last year. Pitta was strictly just a receiver for us for the most part but he got open. That is what the team needs. A receiving threat to open up the run game and the passing game on the outside.

think about zach ertz and travis kelce, greg olsen (does a bit of both but mostly a receiver), tyler eifert (when healthy), hunter henry, cameron brate, kyle rudolph, jared cook

etc. etc.

outside of maybe gronk, delanie walker and idk like jack doyle... the best and most effective tight ends in the league are just big slot receivers who mostly lineup in line

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
think about zach ertz and travis kelce, greg olsen (does a bit of both but mostly a receiver), tyler eifert (when healthy), hunter henry, cameron brate, kyle rudolph, jared cook

etc. etc.

outside of maybe gronk, delanie walker and idk like jack doyle... the best and most effective tight ends in the league are just big slot receivers who mostly lineup in line
I tend to prefer TEs that can do both, but yeah, we really need one that can catch a lot of passes.