• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bengals

Simba

Staff Member
Likely going to be a pretty full injury report this week, but the good news is most of the guys hurt today returned to the game. In addition to the names that missed the game this week, all of the following missed some time today and clearly are not 100%

JK Dobbins (returned)
Patrick Ricard (returned)
Devin Duvernay (returned)
Willie Snead
Patrick Mekari
Yannick Ngakoue
Marlon Humphrey (returned)
DeShon Elliott (returned)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Likely going to be a pretty full injury report this week, but the good news is most of the guys hurt today returned to the game. In addition to the names that missed the game this week, all of the following missed some time today and clearly are not 100%

JK Dobbins (returned)
Patrick Ricard (returned)
Devin Duvernay (returned)
Willie Snead
Patrick Mekari
Yannick Ngakoue
Marlon Humphrey (returned)
DeShon Elliott (returned)

snead's injury looked kind of sketchy - might be a big worry

the noise around the mekari injury suggests that it's not going to be a long-term but back injuries have a tendency to reoccur (especially if it involved any sort of spasming)

maybe i was just worried but marlon looked like he wasnt fully healthy which would be a nightmare given the relative health of the entire defensive back room outside of chuck clark

snead's injury looked kind of sketchy - might be a big worry

the noise around the mekari injury suggests that it's not going to be a long-term but back injuries have a tendency to reoccur (especially if it involved any sort of spasming)

maybe i was just worried but marlon looked like he wasnt fully healthy which would be a nightmare given the relative health of the entire defensive back room outside of chuck clark

Marlons looked more like a knock so I imagine he will get a few limited participants but will be good to go on Sunday.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bengals are playing really well. We need to put all our focus and energy in getting a W there. Nothing is given. So, we need to go in there and take what we think is ours. Boy, wouldn't they love to play spoiler again?

Simba

Staff Member
Washington vs Philly is the Sunday Night Game? Yuk. Good thing all the AFC games are being played at 1PM cause I'd rather know what our fate is by 4 instead of waiting all damn day for a potential loss.

Only game you can move with playoff implications that isn’t directly related to another team since it’s a win and in situation for the division. Sucks that the division as a whole sucks, but it’s the only game that made sense. Dallas and New York battle it out and await Washington’s result later.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Man this game gives me the creeps even though it's kind of irrational. I've refused to talk about it because I was strictly adhering to one game at a time, can't look past anyone, but for a while now, and even before their last 2 wins, this game has made me uncomfortable. We whipped them earlier and they are going to want to play spoiler. Also we've had a history of blowing final week playoff implicating games vs cincy. Now they're scoring a bunch of points and winning games. Realistically, I think their defense has a hard time stopping us, but depending on the health of our defense, we might have a hard time stopping them. If we are healthy, I don't think it should be close. Go Ravens!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Man this game gives me the creeps even though it's kind of irrational. I've refused to talk about it because I was strictly adhering to one game at a time, can't look past anyone, but for a while now, and even before their last 2 wins, this game has made me uncomfortable. We whipped them earlier and they are going to want to play spoiler. Also we've had a history of blowing final week playoff implicating games vs cincy. Now they're scoring a bunch of points and winning games. Realistically, I think their defense has a hard time stopping us, but depending on the health of our defense, we might have a hard time stopping them. If we are healthy, I don't think it should be close. Go Ravens!
I think you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating ravens teams with late era joe flacco at qb and no wr corps and no OL, and you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating the Steelers who looked like genuinely the worst team in the league the past month.

also, this ravens team feels different than it did a month ago, after that titans loss I’d have felt the same watching the bengals play, nervous af, but I just don’t see it, this team is focused

I think you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating ravens teams with late era joe flacco at qb and no wr corps and no OL, and you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating the Steelers who looked like genuinely the worst team in the league the past month.

also, this ravens team feels different than it did a month ago, after that titans loss I’d have felt the same watching the bengals play, nervous af, but I just don’t see it, this team is focused

We've been hurt before.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

You're totally right on all those points. Remember, I was saying I had a strong fear that this Ravens team had a losing mentality after the titans loss. I was genuinely fearful they lacked the ability to show a killer instinct and win games. I thought we were broken. Well Covid hit and we got a reset along with actual coaching personnel changes and better execution and I agree, now we look focused. All I'm saying is we've been here before and messed it up, and cincy although we're certainly better looks like they'll put up a fight. Like I said if we're healthy, we should take care of business.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Don’t forget there absence of Marvin Lewis. I still think he was the reason we always had fits against that team.

Simba

Staff Member

so jordan richards really is our number 3 safety right now - that's pretty horrifying

Yeah they're playing with fire in the secondary right now. Don't see any problems with Stone making it to the PS though, and probably wouldn't have been active anyways. Just doesn't have the chops on ST to stay on the 53.

But it does highlight that 4 RBs, 7 WRs, 5 ILBs, and 6 OLBs on the roster currently is not sustainable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah they're playing with fire in the secondary right now. Don't see any problems with Stone making it to the PS though, and probably wouldn't have been active anyways. Just doesn't have the chops on ST to stay on the 53.

But it does highlight that 4 RBs, 7 WRs, 5 ILBs, and 6 OLBs on the roster currently is not sustainable.

the problem seems to be... where are the extra DBs gonna come from

Desir only played defensive snaps once Humphrey went down despite only having 4 CBs available - we've basically completely sun-setted our dime package because we dont have enough DBs either at corner or safety

but backup safety seems to be in an even worse position than CB - at least when healthy we've got 4/5 corners we like... safety is Chuck, Elliott and then we're playing special teamers on defence - the fact that jordan richards is beating out geno and warrior is pretty worrying

Simba

Staff Member
the problem seems to be... where are the extra DBs gonna come from

Desir only played defensive snaps once Humphrey went down despite only having 4 CBs available - we've basically completely sun-setted our dime package because we dont have enough DBs either at corner or safety

but backup safety seems to be in an even worse position than CB - at least when healthy we've got 4/5 corners we like... safety is Chuck, Elliott and then we're playing special teamers on defence - the fact that jordan richards is beating out geno and warrior is pretty worrying

So much emphasis on ST and it's hurting the depth. Nothing wrong with those types of guys but how many can you have? Chris Moore, Kristian Welch, Anthony Levine, Jordan Richards, and CB4/5 (whoever it is in any given week) are pretty much solely playing ST unless needed... and it's not good if you need these types to play.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We have Spero Dedes & Adam Archuleta calling our game this week. They are sending Romo/Nantz to LA for the Cardinals/Rams game this week. Kevin Harlan/Trent Green is calling the Dolphins/Bills game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So much emphasis on ST and it's hurting the depth. Nothing wrong with those types of guys but how many can you have? Chris Moore, Kristian Welch, Anthony Levine, Jordan Richards, and CB4/5 (whoever it is in any given week) are pretty much solely playing ST unless needed... and it's not good if you need these types to play.

tbf, which DBs have touched our franchise that we've let got this year who could have taken those roles...

our CB room was pretty awesome coming into the season - we were 5 deep at corner with anthony averett basically playing gunner on special teams

not many teams have 5 guys you'd be comfortable with starting - the fact that we're down to 2 right now is ridiculous and we've played most of the year with 3 or less

the safety room is a bit more worrying but not entirely unexpected given the earl thomas situation - we were expecting to be 3 deep with starters there

which would have left us with 8 guys we were comfortable with playing significant snaps on the back end with some special teamers filling out the rest of the DB room...

but that margin for error disappeared with the earl thomas cut and the tavon young injury

im not sure what safeties we could have added

Reactions: cdp