• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bengals

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Don’t forget there absence of Marvin Lewis. I still think he was the reason we always had fits against that team.
Facts. Marvin Lewis was a guy everyone felt should’ve been fired, but when he was there the bengals were competitive in many ways, in the Palmer days their offense was a juggernaut, Cedric benson went from bust to superstar, their defenses in the late 2000s/early 2010s were nothing to sneeze at either. His defenses so often had the PERFECT gameplan for us, pre Torrey Smith days I remember joe consistently playing his worst ball vs their cover 2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Facts. Marvin Lewis was a guy everyone felt should’ve been fired, but when he was there the bengals were competitive in many ways, in the Palmer days their offense was a juggernaut, Cedric benson went from bust to superstar, their defenses in the late 2000s/early 2010s were nothing to sneeze at either. His defenses so often had the PERFECT gameplan for us, pre Torrey Smith days I remember joe consistently playing his worst ball vs their cover 2.

marvin lewis was uninspiring and seemed soulless by the end of his tenure

but you're 100% right, there was a reason he lasted so long in that awful franchise and he was clearly a good coach all the way to the end (just maybe not such a great talent evaluator - both of players and coaches - those last few years)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
marvin lewis was uninspiring and seemed soulless by the end of his tenure

but you're 100% right, there was a reason he lasted so long in that awful franchise and he was clearly a good coach all the way to the end (just maybe not such a great talent evaluator - both of players and coaches - those last few years)
yeah and im not saying marvin lewis was a particularly good coach, i think he was fairly decent but not much more than that and very flawed, but he always felt like he belonged in the afc north, like he was a figure in the division for sure.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating ravens teams with late era joe flacco at qb and no wr corps and no OL, and you’re putting too much stock into the bengals beating the Steelers who looked like genuinely the worst team in the league the past month.

also, this ravens team feels different than it did a month ago, after that titans loss I’d have felt the same watching the bengals play, nervous af, but I just don’t see it, this team is focused

The team has looked better for the most part. Still don't trust the defense against better offenses but we'll see. Think the offense actually shows up this year in the playoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah and im not saying marvin lewis was a particularly good coach, i think he was fairly decent but not much more than that and very flawed, but he always felt like he belonged in the afc north, like he was a figure in the division for sure.

tbh I think he was a great coach who just ran out of ideas and got ground down by the end

he was also a miracle worker within that trashfire of a franchise

redrum52

Hall of Famer
tbh I think he was a great coach who just ran out of ideas and got ground down by the end

he was also a miracle worker within that trashfire of a franchise

He had some awful luck. Palmer was looking great then the knee injury. People forget that during that 2010-2015 period, I think, they were constantly banged up going into the postseason. And then the game where everyone blames Burfict, but think it was Bernard who fumbled when they would have been running clock.

Reactions: cdp

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don't recall Flacco having a GOOD game against them in Cincy. At best, decent. More times.......trash.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He had some awful luck. Palmer was looking great then the knee injury. People forget that during that 2010-2015 period, I think, they were constantly banged up going into the postseason. And then the game where everyone blames Burfict, but think it was Bernard who fumbled when they would have been running clock.

and Dalton looked like an MVP in 2015 until he got injured and they had to turn to AJ Mccarron

that 2015 bengals team was amazingly good and they had the rug pulled out from underneath them

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The team has looked better for the most part. Still don't trust the defense against better offenses but we'll see. Think the offense actually shows up this year in the playoffs.
i feel the same, im banking on guys getting healthy come playoffs, campbell has been hobbled and then got hit by covid and hasnt been the same since, maybe hes having lingering effects, maybe its mostly or all the ankle, who knows, but i guess im just foolishly holding out hope for him come playoff time.

also i think the coaches are holding out hope that peters and jimmy come back in the playoffs as well. none of these injuries have been reported as serious or long term things.

if these things dont happen i dont have much faith in us winning beyond the wild card round, and i also think the offense is gonna show up big.

Simba

Staff Member
and Dalton looked like an MVP in 2015 until he got injured and they had to turn to AJ Mccarron

that 2015 bengals team was amazingly good and they had the rug pulled out from underneath them

Fun note: Andy Dalton was traded like 749 times in the forum mock that year, and I ended up with him. He made my roster look really good that year.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
iirc the 2017 season opener was brilliant, but generally yeah youre right lol
Unfortunatley I missed that game since I was in a hotel evacuating from the hurricane at that point. I know the defense went crazy but didn't we only put up like 20 points though?

Jonathan Joseph seemed to average 2 interceptions per Ravens game.

I hope Lewis was the reason for their success. It would bode well for Baltimore. Maybe they can move on from always beating the Ravens and always losing to the Steelers and do a complete 180 so they always beat Pitt.

I don't recall Flacco having a GOOD game against them in Cincy. At best, decent. More times.......trash.
It's been a minute but I recall Mark Clayton looking like a superstar against the Bengals. Surely some of that happened in Cincy...

Regardless, they have had some bad performances against the Bengals.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Unfortunatley I missed that game since I was in a hotel evacuating from the hurricane at that point. I know the defense went crazy but didn't we only put up like 20 points though?
I could’ve been wrong, defense definitely dominated but I thought I recalled the offense being incredibly efficient and joe looking good.

on second thought I think I am wrong... pretty sure Danny woodbead did most of the dmg and most of the passing production came from maclin on one play

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
One thing to note: we need to make sure our other receivers not numbered #15 and #89 get involved as well. I still remembered Jessie Bates's comments from the last matchup.......which were factual sadly.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing to note: we need to make sure our other receivers not numbered #15 and #89 get involved as well. I still remembered Jessie Bates's comments from the last matchup.......which were factual sadly.
We also didn’t even bother to run the ball but yeah you’re right, Lamar is getting a little locked in on these guys as of late and it’s worrying, then again a lot of it could be due to just a lack of ability from his targets, his TE2 isn’t even running routes I don’t think, his FB is a DT so he’s not doing any more than a rare flats route, his WR2 is a guy who he’s typically had a poor connection with and typically has had suspect hands, his slot guy is an injured willie Snead, the next slot guy isn’t getting reps really at all...

I’m seeing literally nobody that is gonna demand Lamar’s eye more than the big 2, which means playcalling is gonna have to designate these guys as first reads which means scheming and taking the play designs away from your 2 most dangerous guys.

the one thing I’d like to see is 2-3 more screens and use the backs more in the passing game, we just don’t do it and it’s such a head scratcher.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We have Spero Dedes & Adam Archuleta calling our game this week. They are sending Romo/Nantz to LA for the Cardinals/Rams game this week. Kevin Harlan/Trent Green is calling the Dolphins/Bills game.
well maybe Adam Archuletta would like to suit up in an emergency.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Fun note: Andy Dalton was traded like 749 times in the forum mock that year, and I ended up with him. He made my roster look really good that year.
Anton probably traded him 500 of those 749 times.

Can't believe we couldn't get the FM off the ground last year.......of all years.