• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Titans (Wildcard Round)

Simba

Staff Member
they clearly wanted to be able to use Jimmy in that hybrid safety/corner role that they started the season with - it allows them to use him as a matchup coverage weapon - he'll play some deep safety zone stuff but also can selectively be matched up against a specific receiver like a big move tight-end or a fast/powerful outside receiver where they find appropriate

also worth noting that when he's been on the field he's been statistically one of the worst defensive backs in the league to throw at this year - so in that sense it's not surprising we're bringing him back even if he did only play 42% (ish) of the defensive snaps due to injury

i still think we'll be looking at corners in the draft in the mid-rounds because this is the same basic depth chart we entered this season with and yet we still have ended up with tramon williams, devontae harris, pierre desir playing significant snaps at CB and have had anthony levine playing in the nickel at one point too

that old ozzie adage of 'you can never have too many corners' is bearing itself out - especially given the availability history of these CBs there's no way they don't at least look at that position this offseason in the draft - particularly a candidate for development as a slot

we're 100% going to be looking at some sort of defensive back more generally though given the lack of safety depth

Get us a damn backup slot CB. No problems with giving Tavon another shot but you can't count on him either.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think you could also see Jimmy move to that S role they used him in early this season, and hope he can actually stay there this time. They really waited as long as possible to get him back into the CB rotation... really until they ran out of bodies.

This is what I was thinking. Extra outside CB/S and great matchup for TE when they want to man up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Get us a damn backup slot CB. No problems with giving Tavon another shot but you can't count on him either.

exactly - while Marlon's been great flexing into the slot it does reduce our flexibility in terms of matchups vs receivers on any given down if we're hamstrung by having to put Marlon in the slot (unless that's the matchup we want on a particular snap)

obviously we don't have hard and fast roles with the guys right now but having Marlon follow guys all over the field isnt necessarily what we wanted to do with him most of the time (albeit it has to be said that he's become so adept at avoiding picks and rubs when playing in those sorts of scenarios)

basically all im saying is we dont want our matchups dictated by tavon's injury and not by our own choice - philosophically as a defence we want to be the aggressor and create favourable opportunities for ourselves via alignment, personnel and scheme and ideally that also includes how we choose receiver/db matchups too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This is what I was thinking. Extra outside CB/S and great matchup for TE when they want to man up.
ive never loved the jimmy to safety idea, but ive always loved him as a matchup, hes still the freakiest player in our secondary just due to size and strength and ability to play the ball, prefer him the most on the boundary but hes the most physically suited to take on TEs i think

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm just so excited to be playing playoff football. I wonder whether the titans are thinking similarly to the chiefs were they are confident because they think they've got our number. Or whether they're nervous and don't think they'll beat us 3 times straight.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Even Uncle Ray sees our weakness.

early round WR next draft it is!

Was going to send this. Great analysis from Ray. People are finally realizing how much help Lamar needs. It seems he puts the team on his back every damn game. EDC, please somehow get us a stud WR for next season. Lamar, a #1 WR, Hollywood, Mark and Dobbins are GREAT building blocks for the future as far as skill positions.

Simba

Staff Member
If Fluker can't go, I wonder what the situation will be at T. Obviously Phillips will slide into the starting spot, but curious about the backup situation. We took some risk earlier in the season by not going with a true backup T.

Mekari looks like he'll be back but do you feel comfortable sliding him out to RT and TCC in at C if needed?

Are Prince or Ehinger worth a callup from the PS over Skura, assuming TCC is active as the backup C and Bredeson as the OL6/extra blocker?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Fluker can't go, I wonder what the situation will be at T. Obviously Phillips will slide into the starting spot, but curious about the backup situation. We took some risk earlier in the season by not going with a true backup T.

Mekari looks like he'll be back but do you feel comfortable sliding him out to RT and TCC in at C if needed?

Are Prince or Ehinger worth a callup from the PS over Skura, assuming TCC is active as the backup C and Bredeson as the OL6/extra blocker?

do we know when this injury happened with fluker? was it a practice thing or is he just getting a vet day and its just been attributed to an injury?

honestly dont think we have a backup backup backup plan at RT right now

my guess is they'll just risk it - because ehinger and prince are unlikely to be better than just putting an IOL at T tbh at this point

if mekari's good to go he's the obvious answer - i thought he did pretty well at T in relief that one game so that's probably the emergency option if he's healthy enough to start

Simba

Staff Member
do we know when this injury happened with fluker? was it a practice thing or is he just getting a vet day and its just been attributed to an injury?

honestly dont think we have a backup backup backup plan at RT right now

my guess is they'll just risk it - because ehinger and prince are unlikely to be better than just putting an IOL at T tbh at this point

if mekari's good to go he's the obvious answer - i thought he did pretty well at T in relief that one game so that's probably the emergency option if he's healthy enough to start

No idea. He's missed practice the last 2 days so you have to assume it was the game on Sunday? Would have been listed as limited on Wednesday otherwise.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Why is Bart Scott so negative when it comes to us? Why is he hating?

Man, I hope Lamar stays, I hope he continues to play great and he’s paid accordingly, but it’s the cold hard truth, if you have so much going for you, why are you not winning playoff games?

honestly he’s got no excuses to lose this one as it stands right now, unless the players or coaches really drop the ball literally and figuratively, then there will be no valid excuses. This team should roll the titans and Lamar is the unquestioned spearhead of that, he’s gotta produce results this time

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dunno if he is wrong though. If he can't win a play off thats going to affect his contract value.

he was specifically talking about it as if Lamar's never won "big games"

ryan clark's exactly right that the rules get changed whenever the discussion's about lamar - the goalposts get moved

it's also just more of a theme for some reason with bart scott - not sure why but this whole year he's been spinning super negative about lamar and the ravens for no obvious reason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Man, I hope Lamar stays, I hope he continues to play great and he’s paid accordingly, but it’s the cold hard truth, if you have so much going for you, why are you not winning playoff games?

honestly he’s got no excuses to lose this one as it stands right now, unless the players or coaches really drop the ball literally and figuratively, then there will be no valid excuses. This team should roll the titans and Lamar is the unquestioned spearhead of that, he’s gotta produce results this time

im rooting for him so much because i really want him to be the answer - i love his personality, i love the mojo and brotherhood he brings out in the organisation and i would love for him to be here for a long time

i love that he's a part of this organisation and i want him to play well in a way that will leave no doubt as to the decision that we make on his future