• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Titans (Wildcard Round)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was LJ Fort playing the last game vs the titans?
He was active and played 20 snaps, which seems a bit low for him at the time, though his playing time has been a bit erratic in the back half of the year.

Campbell and Williams both missed the last Titans game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He was active and played 20 snaps, which seems a bit low for him at the time, though his playing time has been a bit erratic in the back half of the year.

Campbell and Williams should be huge, the rotation of those 2 with madubuike and Wolfe it cannot be overstated how big of a difference it could make. Wolfe was an absolute madman in that game and he did it without our primary run defender in Williams and essentially nobody to rotate. Williams being the typical block eater, he just always makes a big difference, and the titans love to run the stretch and give Henry the cutback and madubuike has shown elite ability to squeeze the back end of the stretch and I believe having him squeeze and Campbell to his outside shoulder to contain the cutback is going to be massive, Wolfe can do the same, we have 3 guys now that can penetrate from the DL spot to slow Henry’s momentum. Plus there’s just the exhaustion factor, it should be much less this time around.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Campbell and Williams should be huge, the rotation of those 2 with madubuike and Wolfe it cannot be overstated how big of a difference it could make. Wolfe was an absolute madman in that game and he did it without our primary run defender in Williams and essentially nobody to rotate. Williams being the typical block eater, he just always makes a big difference, and the titans love to run the stretch and give Henry the cutback and madubuike has shown elite ability to squeeze the back end of the stretch and I believe having him squeeze and Campbell to his outside shoulder to contain the cutback is going to be massive, Wolfe can do the same, we have 3 guys now that can penetrate from the DL spot to slow Henry’s momentum. Plus there’s just the exhaustion factor, it should be much less this time around.

yeah not only were we missing Campbell and Williams last time but madubuike hadn’t yet emerged - he’s been killing zone blocking schemes consistently from the backside

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just happy the Ravens are going into this hot vs the few weeks off they had. GET LAMAR HIS REPS

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty good news on the injury front for Wednesday. Jimmy, Mekari and Yannick all returned to practice. Only absence that appears to be injury related is Snead, who remains out with an ankle injury.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pretty good news on the injury front for Wednesday. Jimmy, Mekari and Yannick all returned to practice. Only absence that appears to be injury related is Snead, who remains out with an ankle injury.
3 out of 4 ain't bad. Definitely the best news I've heard all day

Simba

Staff Member
Do you all think dez could possibly get more targets than usual in offs?

Could he? Sure. Will he? Who knows. Our passing offense doesn't run through anybody in particular this year. If Dez is the one open, he'll get the ball thrown his way. We've had a lot of change in our offense lately with the running game working, and Lamar has been much better at getting through his progressions. If Dez is open when Lamar's eyes shift that way, the ball will come. I don't think they're going to target him specifically too often though.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
For a couple of weeks now, seems like jihad ward and Ferguson been rotating each game. Seems like we Gon need both of them, jelly.. as well as our extra DBs for this game.

I’m curious to see if mark ingram is active this game. Or will he be a victim of the numbers. The extra D-lineman seems more important
There’s no way in hell Ingram should be active lol. I’d rather have Hill out there. And thank you for pointing out Ward! He’s been playing phenomenally lately

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I say this every time we're in the playoffs...the only one who can stop the Ravens SB run is Harbs. Lol I swear we're the only team that would benefit from Harbs catching Covid and missing the playoffs.

Don't leave points on the field and play field position. We ARE the better team hands down. I want yall to watch Harbs body language in this game. Please coach just imagine a puppy dog head on Vrabel's body. It's ok the team will carry you into the HOF.
Bernard Pollard! How you been bro?!

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would feel so much better going into all these guys if Tavon Young was healthy. It hurts to know that the kid has gotten no breaks. I feel like a broken record because it's something I keep saying periodically.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Which is crazy because the defense kept Henry in check until the middle of the 3rd. Not so much after that.

@gtalk12 Averett seems to keep improving each week. Hope Young is able to stay healthy next year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which is crazy because the defense kept Henry in check until the middle of the 3rd. Not so much after that.

@gtalk12 Averett seems to keep improving each week. Hope Young is able to stay healthy next year.
To me, with Averett playing well, it sort of made me scratch my head that they would re-sign Jimmy this early. I'm ultimately not surprised they did and especially not at that price. But like... Averett could easily play over him next year, which would make Jimmy like your 5th corner. I would have bet the Ravens would have targeted a Corner in the mid-rounds of the draft this year, but I'm not sure that's happening anymore.

Feels like this is a hedge against Tavon coming back healthy or at all. I get the sense they're really not anticipating him having much of an impact going forward.

Simba

Staff Member
To me, with Averett playing well, it sort of made me scratch my head that they would re-sign Jimmy this early. I'm ultimately not surprised they did and especially not at that price. But like... Averett could easily play over him next year, which would make Jimmy like your 5th corner. I would have bet the Ravens would have targeted a Corner in the mid-rounds of the draft this year, but I'm not sure that's happening anymore.

Feels like this is a hedge against Tavon coming back healthy or at all. I get the sense they're really not anticipating him having much of an impact going forward.

I think you could also see Jimmy move to that S role they used him in early this season, and hope he can actually stay there this time. They really waited as long as possible to get him back into the CB rotation... really until they ran out of bodies.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

they clearly wanted to be able to use Jimmy in that hybrid safety/corner role that they started the season with - it allows them to use him as a matchup coverage weapon - he'll play some deep safety zone stuff but also can selectively be matched up against a specific receiver like a big move tight-end or a fast/powerful outside receiver where they find appropriate

also worth noting that when he's been on the field he's been statistically one of the worst defensive backs in the league to throw at this year - so in that sense it's not surprising we're bringing him back even if he did only play 42% (ish) of the defensive snaps due to injury

i still think we'll be looking at corners in the draft in the mid-rounds because this is the same basic depth chart we entered this season with and yet we still have ended up with tramon williams, devontae harris, pierre desir playing significant snaps at CB and have had anthony levine playing in the nickel at one point too

that old ozzie adage of 'you can never have too many corners' is bearing itself out - especially given the availability history of these CBs there's no way they don't at least look at that position this offseason in the draft - particularly a candidate for development as a slot

we're 100% going to be looking at some sort of defensive back more generally though given the lack of safety depth