• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Titans (Wildcard Round)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im rooting for him so much because i really want him to be the answer - i love his personality, i love the mojo and brotherhood he brings out in the organisation and i would love for him to be here for a long time

i love that he's a part of this organisation and i want him to play well in a way that will leave no doubt as to the decision that we make on his future
I was being a little cold for no reason at all in my post above lol, just wanna clarify that I feel as strongly as you do, I’ve never been more proud to be a ravens fan than I am when we are winning on Lamar’s back, he feels like an iconic player, like you feel like you’re watching one of the greatest ever in their primes, and it’s an awesome experience as a fan, but man sometimes the disappointment that can ultimately bring is REALLY rough lol, the disappointment from that playoff loss is still lingering a whole lot and to lose this one would leave us smashing the panic button. A loss here would basically warrant Lamar his full rookie deal, and no more until a playoff win or more comes.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was being a little cold for no reason at all in my post above lol, just wanna clarify that I feel as strongly as you do, I’ve never been more proud to be a ravens fan than I am when we are winning on Lamar’s back, he feels like an iconic player, like you feel like you’re watching one of the greatest ever in their primes, and it’s an awesome experience as a fan, but man sometimes the disappointment that can ultimately bring is REALLY rough lol, the disappointment from that playoff loss is still lingering a whole lot and to lose this one would leave us smashing the panic button. A loss here would basically warrant Lamar his full rookie deal, and no more until a playoff win or more comes.

i get it - im nervous before every game because not only do i want to win a superbowl but there's all this baggage with Lamar and the 0-2

even if we end up going into this offseason 1-3 in the playoffs that will feel dramatically different to how the situation is now

it feels like a mental barrier that he (and the rest of the ravens) need to overcome

and yet with flacco i was simultaneously not confident of making the playoffs but supremely confident that we'd win once we got there - but i would have just been happy to get there

the expectation is higher on lamar and we as ravens fans are not used to having a QB who the league actually considers "elite" (instead of as a meme lol) which makes our feelings about him and the playoffs a bit more complex if/when we lose

if we beat the titans i'm gonna be in a massively better frame of mind (probably a lot less nervous going into a matchup too) in the divisional round

i think it's not only the fact that lamar's without a playoff win but that it's the titans that's making me so nervous

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i get it - im nervous before every game because not only do i want to win a superbowl but there's all this baggage with Lamar and the 0-2

even if we end up going into this offseason 1-3 in the playoffs that will feel dramatically different to how the situation is now

it feels like a mental barrier that he (and the rest of the ravens) need to overcome

and yet with flacco i was simultaneously not confident of making the playoffs but supremely confident that we'd win once we got there - but i would have just been happy to get there

the expectation is higher on lamar and we as ravens fans are not used to having a QB who the league actually considers "elite" (instead of as a meme lol) which makes our feelings about him and the playoffs a bit more complex if/when we lose

if we beat the titans i'm gonna be in a massively better frame of mind (probably a lot less nervous going into a matchup too) in the divisional round

i think it's not only the fact that lamar's without a playoff win but that it's the titans that's making me so nervous
I also maintain that if andrews ankle is fine he catches that ball, and our game is working and we go balanced deep in their end, the whole game changes, if Seth Roberts catches that ball it’s like a 99% touchdown chance, game is different, those 2 things are what really caused the biggest spirals

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it's going to be a huge game for our linebacking corps - yes the DL needs to be bullies to keep derrick henry at bay but the playaction is what killed us in the playoffs last year - the discipline has to be good - jaylon ferguson and ngakoue have both been guilty of losing the edge by getting out of position, that cannot happen this week or they'll kill us over the top even if we have all of marlon, peters, jimmy and averett on the field

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
DL: attack, penetrate, cause disruption first and foremost, make it difficult for Henry to gain momentum

LB: fill, scrape, play assignment sound, hit at the waist, wrap and drive, no hero ball, disciplined eyes, don’t overreact to play fakes and allow yourself to be in position to defend the underneath stuff .

secondary: top down, make tackles, no senseless penalties.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
After hearing Bart Scott, I really want this win. It's funny watching Ryan Clark defend Lamar while Bart who played for us has the most stupidest argument about why we shouldn't pay Lamar if we lose, etc. I get that the playoffs are a different animal compared to the regular season but Lamar has played in enough big games over the past two years and has been the reason we won those games.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
After hearing Bart Scott, I really want this win. It's funny watching Ryan Clark defend Lamar while Bart who played for us has the most stupidest argument about why we shouldn't pay Lamar if we lose, etc. I get that the playoffs are a different animal compared to the regular season but Lamar has played in enough big games over the past two years and has been the reason we won those games.
I don't think you NOT pay him just because he's not winning playoff games.

BUT... how are his chances of winning playoff games going to increase when we pay him like 5x what he's making now?

Like no matter how fans choose to view it, when you win a bunch on a rookie deal, the first "mega" contract is partially backpay. The MVP award and a #1 seed last year was great, but it didn't materialize into anything of significance.

It's not SB or bust, but if you get 4-5 cracks at this playoff thing and the best you can do is a first round loss every year, there's literally no reason at all to suspect that increasing his price tag is going to yield different results.

Not to mention... the biggest question mark on planet Earth in regards to Lamar is... how is he going to age? What does 30 year old Lamar look like as an NFL player? Not a chance in hell he's the kind of guy who's outrunning defenders all over the field. Does he look more like a Russell Wilson, who develops into a quality passer who's scrambling ability and pocket awareness is unmatched in the league? Or is he more Cam Newton, who struggles with easy throws at 30 and is essentially just somebody you put in to shake up the defense on occasion?

The jury is still completely out on that. But its a lot easier to justify overpaying if he's got some playoff success on his resume.

Simba

Staff Member

unexpected (regarding bredeson)

Popped up on the injury report yesterday. Not sure if it's an injury or an "injury" but they weren't going to wait for him at this point. Probably why we're bringing in 3 other OL to the PS next week if we win.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We need lamar comfortable.. after a few completed passes i hope he is good to go.. i really dgaf though cause we not losing this game

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think you NOT pay him just because he's not winning playoff games.

BUT... how are his chances of winning playoff games going to increase when we pay him like 5x what he's making now?

Like no matter how fans choose to view it, when you win a bunch on a rookie deal, the first "mega" contract is partially backpay. The MVP award and a #1 seed last year was great, but it didn't materialize into anything of significance.

It's not SB or bust, but if you get 4-5 cracks at this playoff thing and the best you can do is a first round loss every year, there's literally no reason at all to suspect that increasing his price tag is going to yield different results.

Not to mention... the biggest question mark on planet Earth in regards to Lamar is... how is he going to age? What does 30 year old Lamar look like as an NFL player? Not a chance in hell he's the kind of guy who's outrunning defenders all over the field. Does he look more like a Russell Wilson, who develops into a quality passer who's scrambling ability and pocket awareness is unmatched in the league? Or is he more Cam Newton, who struggles with easy throws at 30 and is essentially just somebody you put in to shake up the defense on occasion?

The jury is still completely out on that. But its a lot easier to justify overpaying if he's got some playoff success on his resume.

Being new, I would first like to say that I am an avid Lamar fan and love not only his personality, but his talent as well. I think he will eventually develop the playoff gene; it took a certain hall of famer named Peyton Manning a long time before he got his first playoff W, let alone a Super Bowl. Like Lamar, he had his thorn in his side, the Patriots (Lamar's being the Chiefs). With all of that said, I have to agree with this. If you can't get a single playoff win, or advance further into the playoffs than divisional round during his entire rookie contract here, there is nothing to say that he will turn it up another notch after he signs a mega contract. If anything, the mega contract possibility should be pushing him to do even better, get those wins so he has even more of an argument for said contract.

Simba

Staff Member
Tyler Huntley and RJ Prince are the PS callups this week. Bodes well for the health in the secondary (Jimmy especially) that a CB didn't get elevated. Doesn't bode well for Fluker that Prince got elevated.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Being new, I would first like to say that I am an avid Lamar fan and love not only his personality, but his talent as well. I think he will eventually develop the playoff gene; it took a certain hall of famer named Peyton Manning a long time before he got his first playoff W, let alone a Super Bowl. Like Lamar, he had his thorn in his side, the Patriots (Lamar's being the Chiefs). With all of that said, I have to agree with this. If you can't get a single playoff win, or advance further into the playoffs than divisional round during his entire rookie contract here, there is nothing to say that he will turn it up another notch after he signs a mega contract. If anything, the mega contract possibility should be pushing him to do even better, get those wins so he has even more of an argument for said contract.
Welcome to pf.com!
Luck is more important in the NFL playoffs than in the NBA/MLB or NHL. I don't think it matters that much if he only reaches the divisional round instead of CCG or SB. I think it's not fair to attribute the success to one player only (or failure). What I don't see is a 10 year contract. A 4 year extension - similar to Watson - is appropriate. Also, he's only in his 3rd year, there's no need to rush this decision especially if the cap goes down or stays relatively flat because of the current economic situation.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Welcome to pf.com!
Luck is more important in the NFL playoffs than in the NBA/MLB or NHL. I don't think it matters that much if he only reaches the divisional round instead of CCG or SB. I think it's not fair to attribute the success to one player only (or failure). What I don't see is a 10 year contract. A 4 year extension - similar to Watson - is appropriate. Also, he's only in his 3rd year, there's no need to rush this decision especially if the cap goes down or stays relatively flat because of the current economic situation.

Good to be here! I'm glad I found this, as I love my home team.

I agree with this. When I said mega contract, I mean the Mahomes type mega. I think he would still be deserving of a solid contract- if he can at least get a couple playoff wins, or stay at this performance level at the very least. He is the best QB this team has had.