• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 NFL Head Coach and GM Openings

rossihunter2

Staff Member

like maybe he's nervous and just not a good public speaker - but i cannot believe that this guy aced his interview enough to win a HC job

for what it's worth ive seen clips of him in practice with the colts and he seems like a really likeable teacher and clearly a very personable guy with the players so it's probably just nerves

just find this introductory presser a bit mortifying to watch lol

for what it's worth this is miles better than dan campbell's biting kneecaps introductory press conference

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

like maybe he's nervous and just not a good public speaker - but i cannot believe that this guy aced his interview enough to win a HC job

for what it's worth ive seen clips of him in practice with the colts and he seems like a really likeable teacher and clearly a very personable guy with the players so it's probably just nerves

just find this introductory presser a bit mortifying to watch lol

for what it's worth this is miles better than dan campbell's biting kneecaps introductory press conference

Most cringeworthy presser I've seen in quite some time

JO_75

Hall of Famer
He's not a coach for us but another former Raven is in the running for a coaching vacancy. The Packers let Mike Pettine go and currently have a hole at DC. Former Ravens Safety Jim Leonhard who currently is Wisconsin's Defensive Coordinator, has a deal in place to become the Packers DC if he wants it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
for a whole host of reasons if you believe he had a significant influence on the passing attack and the lack of WR development

im not a 100% sure but i imagine there'll be a number of armchair fans who'll be elated if he leaves even if they don't know about the 3rd round comp picks

but it would be massive to get a 3rd rounder back given we're missing ours from the ngakoue trade

I think the NFLs push for hiring minority coaches is great and long over due. However, the comp pick because of that is mind blowing.

Essentially:
“if you hire someone based on the color of their skin we will reward multiple parties involved”

I am proud to be a minority but that is wrong and a slippery slope. Gotta be a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the NFLs push for hiring minority coaches is great and long over due. However, the comp pick because of that is mind blowing.

Essentially:
“if you hire someone based on the color of their skin we will reward multiple parties involved”

I am proud to be a minority but that is wrong and a slippery slope. Gotta be a better way.

the problem i think is that they've tried other ways and they havent worked

and i dont think its ultimately about getting people hired at HC for the colour of their skin because the team hiring them isn't rewarded for picking a minority - but it is encouraging teams to develop and put forward minority candidates into coordinator and more senior roles within their organisations

the nfl has a real nepotism problem - i think i saw a study that said there are 63 coaches in the NFL with familial connections with other coaches in the NFL - 53 of them are white (or numbers similar to that)

because of the history of the USA and the makeup of NFL coaching staffs 30-40 years ago, it's fairly obvious that any nepotism would benefit majority white coaches and personnel execs because there weren't a ton of minority coaches embedded in the NFL 40 years ago

the idea is to break those nepotistic practices and actually give a larger group of people fairer opportunities - the league is full of conservative people (in every sense of the word) which means they're unlikely to change their practices of their own volition - hence the incentives to hire people outside of their circle

ultimately we won't know if this has worked or not for a few years so i fully expect this rule to be around for the next half decade at least and if it has managed to open up opportunities at all levels for minorities then the rule can be nixed

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
the problem i think is that they've tried other ways and they havent worked

and i dont think its ultimately about getting people hired at HC for the colour of their skin because the team hiring them isn't rewarded for picking a minority - but it is encouraging teams to develop and put forward minority candidates into coordinator and more senior roles within their organisations

the nfl has a real nepotism problem - i think i saw a study that said there are 63 coaches in the NFL with familial connections with other coaches in the NFL - 53 of them are white (or numbers similar to that)

because of the history of the USA and the makeup of NFL coaching staffs 30-40 years ago, it's fairly obvious that any nepotism would benefit majority white coaches and personnel execs because there weren't a ton of minority coaches embedded in the NFL 40 years ago

the idea is to break those nepotistic practices and actually give a larger group of people fairer opportunities - the league is full of conservative people (in every sense of the word) which means they're unlikely to change their practices of their own volition - hence the incentives to hire people outside of their circle

ultimately we won't know if this has worked or not for a few years so i fully expect this rule to be around for the next half decade at least and if it has managed to open up opportunities at all levels for minorities then the rule can be nixed

I don’t have the answer , i think you alluded to a lot of problems that can only be solved by people just being better humans.

I just don’t like the curtain system in place. Fighting racism with racism is not the correct direction

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So we only had two minority coaches hired this cycle... Robert Saleh the first Muslim NFL Head Coach and our David Culley. I'd say going into 2021 there should be no reason we see an increase in minority Head Coaches.

Potential 2021 NFL Head Coach Firings:
- Bengals - Zac Taylor
- Texans - One & Done for Culley perhaps?
- Broncos- Vic Fangio
- Eagles- Nick Sirianni has to be one and done right?
- Vikings- Mike Zimmer. If Vikings miss the playoffs again, could a house cleaning be coming?
- Bears - Matt Nagy might not be so lucky in 2021.

That's at least 6 not counting any surprise firings. I could see Todd Bowles being next in line to take over for Arians in Tampa.

- Todd Bowles, Bucs DC
- Byron Leftwich, Bucs OC
- Eric Bienemy, Chiefs OC
- Jim Caldwell, former Lions HC
- Marvin Lewis, former Bengals HC

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So we only had two minority coaches hired this cycle... Robert Saleh the first Muslim NFL Head Coach and our David Culley. I'd say going into 2021 there should be no reason we see an increase in minority Head Coaches.

- Bengals - Zac Taylor
- Broncos- Vic Fangio
- Vikings- Mike Zimmer. If Vikings miss the playoffs again, could a house cleaning be coming?

That's at least 6 not counting any surprise firings. I could see Todd Bowles being next in line to take over for Arians in Tampa.

- Todd Bowles, Bucs DC

First Muslim head coach is a good look for the league. Have no idea how devout he is or isn’t , but regardless it’s nice to have to diversity. Maybe draw some new viewers

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

- Bengals - Zac Taylor
- Broncos- Vic Fangio

- Todd Bowles, Bucs DC
I doubt Culley will be one and done. He seems like an Easterby hiring.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

- Bengals - Zac Taylor
- Broncos- Vic Fangio

- Todd Bowles, Bucs DC
Yeah I don't see many paths where Sirianni or Culley are one and done.

Sirianni especially is getting handed a dumpster fire in Philly, and there's no way anybody in leadership in that organization can expect that to be a genuine competitor for the next few years. They're going to cut or trade a bunch of players off that roster, and they're aging in a lot of spots. Plus, one and done firings are pretty rare in this league.

Fangio, Nagy and Zimmer have biggest hot seats in the league, no question. Any missed playoff appearance by any of those three will likely result in getting fired. Among the other guys I'd suggest...
Mike McCarthy in Dallas
Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona

I think Zac Taylor has a longer leash than people think. They held on to Marvin Lewis for a long, long time, despite not being very good at his job, so I think he gets longer than people think. We can talk about "surprise" firings, but we also didn't have any of those this offseason, and in fact, the "surprises" were how many coaches kept their jobs that we thought were going to get fired, namely Fangio and Nagy.

Kliff Kingsbury probably isn't on many's radar, but he's been one of the worst HC's in the league since he took over, and even national analysts have begun to realize that his "offense" is stale, easy to beat, and isn't revolutionizing anything.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah I don't see many paths where Sirianni or Culley are one and done.

Sirianni especially is getting handed a dumpster fire in Philly, and there's no way anybody in leadership in that organization can expect that to be a genuine competitor for the next few years. They're going to cut or trade a bunch of players off that roster, and they're aging in a lot of spots. Plus, one and done firings are pretty rare in this league.

Fangio, Nagy and Zimmer have biggest hot seats in the league, no question. Any missed playoff appearance by any of those three will likely result in getting fired. Among the other guys I'd suggest...
Mike McCarthy in Dallas
Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona

I think Zac Taylor has a longer leash than people think. They held on to Marvin Lewis for a long, long time, despite not being very good at his job, so I think he gets longer than people think. We can talk about "surprise" firings, but we also didn't have any of those this offseason, and in fact, the "surprises" were how many coaches kept their jobs that we thought were going to get fired, namely Fangio and Nagy.

Kliff Kingsbury probably isn't on many's radar, but he's been one of the worst HC's in the league since he took over, and even national analysts have begun to realize that his "offense" is stale, easy to beat, and isn't revolutionizing anything.
I'd agree with almost everything you said, except McCarthy. I believe McCarthy was a bad hire, but you have to look how long Jones held onto Garrett. He's not one to admit he is wrong without giving it ample time.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd agree with almost everything you said, except McCarthy. I believe McCarthy was a bad hire, but you have to look how long Jones held onto Garrett. He's not one to admit he is wrong without giving it ample time.
Generally I agree. I think McCarthy gets probably at least 3-4 years.

That being said... Jason Garrett actually won quite a bit. He had a 56% win percentage, which is actually quite good for an NFL head coach, his Dallas teams only finished under .500 once on his watch in the 9.5 seasons he coached, and they won the division three times.

If Dallas comes out and wins like 5-6 games next season, assuming they retain Dak and/or don't add like a stud QB in a trade scenario, I think McCarthy is in big trouble. They would need something like massive injuries again for him to get much benefit of the doubt. I'm not certain its playoff or bust for him to keep his job, but they have to be largely competitive next year, and they weren't for a good chunk of 2020. I have no doubt that Jerry is expecting a division title. Philly figures to be in the crapper, the Giants still have a lot of weaknesses, and right now, the Skins have no QB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Generally I agree. I think McCarthy gets probably at least 3-4 years.

That being said... Jason Garrett actually won quite a bit. He had a 56% win percentage, which is actually quite good for an NFL head coach, his Dallas teams only finished under .500 once on his watch in the 9.5 seasons he coached, and they won the division three times.

If Dallas comes out and wins like 5-6 games next season, assuming they retain Dak and/or don't add like a stud QB in a trade scenario, I think McCarthy is in big trouble. They would need something like massive injuries again for him to get much benefit of the doubt. I'm not certain its playoff or bust for him to keep his job, but they have to be largely competitive next year, and they weren't for a good chunk of 2020. I have no doubt that Jerry is expecting a division title. Philly figures to be in the crapper, the Giants still have a lot of weaknesses, and right now, the Skins have no QB.
This is every year and being the owner and GM he should expect it.

Fair enough with Garrett, but the teams he had were better than 56% win record, especially with most of those years having Romo as QB. That's not even getting into the teams that they played against for his years as coach.