• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 NFL Head Coach and GM Openings

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Now it's official. Jaguars make it official with Urban Meyer. Even though he never coached Fields... expect the next 3 months of the media to try to make people think they won't take Trevor lol.

Well I have to admit, I thought Nick Saban would have gave the NFL one more shot BEFORE I ever thought Meyer would be a NFL coach.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Jets are next to hire a Head Coach. 49ers DC Robert Saleh is the next Jets Head Coach. Robert is expected to hire Mike LaFleur, the brother of Packers' Head Coach Matt LaFleur as their Offensive Coordinator. Mike was the 49ers passing game coordinator last year.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
given the coach/gm comp pick thing now - does that mean we're going to have drafts with more than 256 picks or do these comp picks take away from the 32 existing comp picks for free agent losses...

im assuming they just add it to the 256

Now the 49ers are going to get some picks for this as Robert Saleh has been hired by the Jets. I still don't get why the team he was hired from get the picks, like again. Why am I going to give Andy Reid additional draft picks to give Mahomes more weapons, trade ammo or whatever when the goal is to beat them by hiring Eric Bienemy. Like if the NFL wants these coaches and GMs to succeed, give the team who HIRES them the extra picks so they have a better chance at succeeding. We still have other openings so we'll wait and see but it does seem things are starting to move quick hiring here.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Now the 49ers are going to get some picks for this as Robert Saleh has been hired by the Jets. I still don't get why the team he was hired from get the picks, like again. Why am I going to give Andy Reid additional draft picks to give Mahomes more weapons, trade ammo or whatever when the goal is to beat them by hiring Eric Bienemy. Like if the NFL wants these coaches and GMs to succeed, give the team who HIRES them the extra picks so they have a better chance at succeeding. We still have other openings so we'll wait and see but it does seem things are starting to move quick hiring here.

it’s about incentivising teams promoting minority candidates within their organisation to positions that will help them get more looks

lots of minority coaches have got stuck in position coach roles that don’t allow for further progression - lots of defensive sided guys, lots of RB coaches

this rule basically is creating incentive to develop minority candidates within your organisation and give them opportunities and take chances on them

I guess the rationale is that teams are gonna hire the best HC and/or GM whatever happens so they don’t need incentive to do that but you can incentivise creating a larger pool of well-qualified minority candidates by changing teams internal promotion and development habits

we’ll see if it works but it hasn’t seemed to prevent anyone from being hired so far

I think people overvalue how much 3rd round picks are worth - they’re valuable on draft day but in the grand scheme of things most 3rd rounders don’t succeed

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Jets are next to hire a Head Coach. 49ers DC Robert Saleh is the next Jets Head Coach. Robert is expected to hire Mike LaFleur, the brother of Packers' Head Coach Matt LaFleur as their Offensive Coordinator. Mike was the 49ers passing game coordinator last year.

also more generally this is just a great hire by joe Douglas - didn’t hire a buddy, didn’t hire a former failed HC, didn’t single in on anyone from the get-go and allowed the interview process to actually play out

peter Schrager also suggesting that when he spoke to saleh before he got the job he was pumped about the jets job which is a good sign that there’s a mutual excitement

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

if this and the Macdonald hiring both happen we’ll be losing both of our front 7 position coaches in 1 offseason lol and potentially 5 of our 6 edge rushers too (unlikely we don’t keep at least 1 or 2 of them but still) who work with both of those coaches

Next man up. Cullen is a vocal coach for sure, but other than that idk...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Next man up. Cullen is a vocal coach for sure, but other than that idk...

he's always been in the shadow of the late great Clarence Brooks who ran the DL here for over 10 seasons before he died in 2016

i dont necessarily think he'd be a major loss but it would leave us with only 2 defensive position coaches (jesse minter DBs and drew wilkins OLBs) and chris hewitt in terms of senior defensive assistants

we do have sterling lucas who's the assistant DL coach - so i imagine he just gets promoted

and my guess for LB coach replacement is that Zach Orr moves from the defensive coach analyst to LB coach (or at least assistant LB coach or something like that)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's always been in the shadow of the late great Clarence Brooks who ran the DL here for over 10 seasons before he died in 2016

i dont necessarily think he'd be a major loss but it would leave us with only 2 defensive position coaches (jesse minter DBs and drew wilkins OLBs) and chris hewitt in terms of senior defensive assistants

we do have sterling lucas who's the assistant DL coach - so i imagine he just gets promoted

and my guess for LB coach replacement is that Zach Orr moves from the defensive coach analyst to LB coach (or at least assistant LB coach or something like that)
that's a lot of coaches to lose and promote within a season. I think we could end up looking outside the organization also, but agree it isn't our m.o.

I would certainly hope we can retain Cullen, but it wouldn't be the worst loss. I would hope it doesn't set Madubuike back though as he has had a very good rookie season, which isn't the norm for rookie defensive tackles.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know a few weeks ago we were hearing that Wink was a candidate in Detroit, but I haven't heard anything since. Has there been any news regarding Wink and the current job openings?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I know a few weeks ago we were hearing that Wink was a candidate in Detroit, but I haven't heard anything since. Has there been any news regarding Wink and the current job openings?

Nothing. The way it is going we are keeping Wink & Roman for another year. Lions decided to hire Saints TE Coach Dan Campbell to be their new Head Coach per Jay Glayzer.

Eagles put in a request to interview Eric Bieniemy and Josh McDaniels but nothing for Wink or Roman.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another Head Coach vacancy filled and the Chargers didn't have to look far. Chargers are hiring Rams DC Brandon Staley as their new Head Coach. And then there were two, Houston & Philly who are still searching for their next Head Coach.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another Head Coach vacancy filled and the Chargers didn't have to look far. Chargers are hiring Rams DC Brandon Staley as their new Head Coach. And then there were two, Houston & Philly who are still searching for their next Head Coach.

Wow... 2 weeks ago I read an article about Staley and I can easily see why they hired him.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Now it's official: Jags are going to interview Cullen.
and unfortunately the 49ers promoted - my #1 replacement for Roman - Mike McDaniel to OC.