• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Bills fan here..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The michael vick wannabe is the only thing that works for you guys on offense. Stop him and everything shuts down on the run game. Air attacks are not going to be a problem. Your QB throws more worm burners than anything. Put 7 in the box, leave tre white on an island with hollywood, bracket the tight end and take our chances with your #2 WR matched up with Levi wallace. Don't forget the bills know this Greg roman offense. We were there, it doesn't work long term, the slow ground and pound doesn't win in the long term. Ask Rex Ryan and we had the exact same player as lamar!!! In Tyrod taylor. If we jump out to a decent lead 17 points it's over. Our run defense isn't great yes, but they are disciplined, they can nut up when it's time to. Look at the colts last drive, they couldn't even get into FG range. Last year when you best us it was one fluke play over the middle to the long haired hippee receiver
Lol wow you know what you’re talking about huh? like the ravens, football in general, seems like you got a great grasp on it...

Good luck

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This has nothing to do with that post but I'm sick and tired of the Vick comparisons. Vick is nowhere near the thrower that Lamar is. Arm strength does not make you a great passer. Also, as for running? Lamar has him beat there too.

If anything, Lamar is more like RG3.
Lamar is more like a Cunningham

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The michael vick wannabe is the only thing that works for you guys on offense. Stop him and everything shuts down on the run game. Air attacks are not going to be a problem. Your QB throws more worm burners than anything. Put 7 in the box, leave tre white on an island with hollywood, bracket the tight end and take our chances with your #2 WR matched up with Levi wallace. Don't forget the bills know this Greg roman offense. We were there, it doesn't work long term, the slow ground and pound doesn't win in the long term. Ask Rex Ryan and we had the exact same player as lamar!!! In Tyrod taylor. If we jump out to a decent lead 17 points it's over. Our run defense isn't great yes, but they are disciplined, they can nut up when it's time to. Look at the colts last drive, they couldn't even get into FG range. Last year when you best us it was one fluke play over the middle to the long haired hippee receiver

Tyrod, the exact same player as Lamar? Tyrod?? LOL. If you’re gonna come up in here trash talking, at least please don’t make everybody laugh when you’re trying to be serious and give us hell. Jesus...

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Out of all the teams left we are the only team that has a real chance to win their first bowl.

Or the only team who has went to 5 Super Bowls with zero wins to show for it. VERY impressive franchise

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wanted to come on here and let you all know a little more about Buffalo and discuss our matchup. First off, congratulations on the Win yesterday. That was a big one for you all against that team and I loved watching them get eliminated.

I think this is a great matchup for the average fan with both teams having unique styles on offense. It will be interesting to see how the weather shapes up for Saturday as some snow is predicted in the forecast.

Ok, as for Buffalo's offense, the story has been all about Josh Allen's improvements. He showed flashes his first 2 years of a guy that could make any play, but the inconsistency at accuracy, fumbles and wild plays overshadowed his play. This year has been a different story. His accuracy, decision making and overall command of the offense has been beyond what any Bills fan thought was reasonable this early in his career. Obviously the addition of Stefon Diggs has played a huge role in how explosive we've been. But Allen has been fantastic. He will still run and make plays with his legs, but they aren't the same yards he gained as a rookie when he would lock on to 1 receiver, then take off if he was covered. We will dial up QB draws and those could increase with our rookie RB Zack Moss injuried, but Allen doesn't scramble for as many yards as he did last year. What will make stopping our passing game tough is Allen's ability to improvise outside the pocket and find open guys down field in very tight windows. He's done it all year and seems to be on another level. Our running game is not as good as it has been partially due to our passing game taking off. Cole Beasley has been great in the slot and is beating man coverage constantly. You all are well aware of John Brown. Dawson Knox is our TE and is boom or bust. He will make crazy plays stiff arming people and nabbing one handed catches, while also dropping wide open bunnies.

Our Defense is not what it was last year, but has been playing better. Indy did move the ball on us very well Saturday. Our run defense can be exposed and that's what worries me the most against you all. Our defensive line is very average with no true disrupter in the run or pass rush arena. The linebacker to watch out for is Matt Milano. He is one of the most undervalued players in the league and will more than likely be spying Jackson a number of times. Both Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde can make plays all over the field. Tre White is a premier corner but will not 1-on-1 matchup with Brown. He usually stays with whoever comes to his side. Josh Norman has been playing better lately opposite Tre. Overall, the secondary is the strength of the defense but the one guy you all could exploit is Levi Wallace. He plays the nickel spot and has been streaky all year.

Overall, I think our game with you all last year will help us with hopes of containing your all's stellar ground game. I think we will try to contain Jackson similar to last year, between the tackles and force him to throw form the pocket. I will be intrigued to see what Baltimore's defensive game plan will for stopping our passing game as Allen has torched multiple looks all year. I'm worried about Judon and Ngakoue creating pressure along the front 4 without blitzing. That could be the key to keeping Allen from scrambling while dropping 7 into the passing lanes.

Sorry for the long post and rambling points, but wanted to share a few thoughts and insights from a Buffalo fan. This should be a great matchup and extremely fun to watch

So what I’m seeing here is an offense that is very one dimensional, and a defense that is average at best. Also seeing talks of having a LB spy Lamar makes me excited to see another 200 yard rushing day

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
This has nothing to do with that post but I'm sick and tired of the Vick comparisons. Vick is nowhere near the thrower that Lamar is. Arm strength does not make you a great passer. Also, as for running? Lamar has him beat there too.

If anything, Lamar is more like RG3.

RG3?? How lol?

Matt

Practice Squad
I think it's a toss up at this point and you're right that it probably comes down to how well the Ravens DBs deal with the Bills receivers and/or how well the Bills can stop the run. Our secondary is all back and healthy now so it's going to be fun finding out. How's Diggs' injury?

Also come on man, Allen's been great, but 421 yards at 4.1 YPC is not 'nearly as dangerous' as 1005 yards at 6.3 YPC; those are different leagues.

Jackson is by far more dangerous in the open field than Allen is due to his blazing speed. Allen is very athletic and is pretty fast but not in Lamar's league where he can literally run away from DB's. Allen's main threat comes from inside the 10 where he is extremely effective at scoring on runs, and on plays where the DBs turn their back and play man and he has only a single player to beat like a MLB which he is almost always faster then(kinda like the Denver game where he scored from 24 yards out).

I was getting very nervous in the Colts game with all the designed runs for Allen because he has had a propensity for fumbling and not carrying the ball properly to protect it at times, but it turned out to be OK.

It will be a very interesting game for sure. The Ravens love playing man and blitzing but the Bills feast on that type of coverage and have been among the best in the league against it. The Bills struggle to stop the run unless they really sell out to do it, leaving the short and intermediate areas of the field open for passes, especially to TE's. I think I would sign up for a repeat performance of what our D did last year when we held them to under 260 yards, a low rushing total and only 24 points.

Bills dream scenario would be for the Ravens to play aggressive and blitz/play man and the Bills repeatedly burn it(like they did against Miami twice this year) and pile on the points in the first half which would make it hard for the Ravens to run the ball as much as they would like and force them into trying to throw to keep up. Bills nightmare scenario is that Ravens continuously gash us on the ground, eat up the clock and limit our possessions like the Colts did.

Matt

Practice Squad
So what I’m seeing here is an offense that is very one dimensional, and a defense that is average at best. Also seeing talks of having a LB spy Lamar makes me excited to see another 200 yard rushing day

Bills sometimes get one dimensional by choice. They would much prefer to pass than run, but can be effective running at times if they make a concerted effort to keep doing it(Patriot and Charger games, and the Steeler game to end run off the final 7:11 of gametime). It honestly seems like its more of a matchup thing. Bills struggle when there is a player like Buckner/Heyward who can basically destroy his man and make plays to disrupt the run game.

I liken the Bills offense a little bit to what the Chiefs did a lot last year where they would just put the game in Mahomes hands. Allen has that type of trust from the coaches now and honestly, it is with good reason. He has been phenomenal almost all year long except for a stretch of games where he was playing with a separated shoulder and harness that seemed to really effect his throwing motion and cause passes to sail.

VolsBillsMagic

Practice Squad

I wouldn't say our offense is one dimensional, but we don't run the ball as effective as we have in the past especially now with Moss out. Like I said in my original post, a lot of that has been due to our passing game taking off this year. I'm purely speculating we would use Milano to spy only when they want to have someone match up with Lamar when our defense gives a man look. We play a heavy Cover 2 zone scheme so it's highly unlikely we will only use 1 guy to account for Jackson's running ability. That would be beyond dumb. Tremaine Edmunds would be the other LB in the middle Lamar would see when he runs the inverted veer keeps up the middle. While our defense hasn't played as well as most Bills fans had hoped for, we are definitely better than an above average defense.

Matt

Practice Squad
I wouldn't say our offense is one dimensional, but we don't run the ball as effective as we have in the past especially now with Moss out. Like I said in my original post, a lot of that has been due to our passing game taking off this year. I'm purely speculating we would use Milano to spy only when they want to have someone match up with Lamar when our defense gives a man look. We play a heavy Cover 2 zone scheme so it's highly unlikely we will only use 1 guy to account for Jackson's running ability. That would be beyond dumb. Tremaine Edmunds would be the other LB in the middle Lamar would see when he runs the inverted veer keeps up the middle. While our defense hasn't played as well as most Bills fans had hoped for, we are definitely better than an above average defense.

I would bet it might be someone like Neal or Marlowe playing big nickel spying.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bills sometimes get one dimensional by choice. They would much prefer to pass than run, but can be effective running at times if they make a concerted effort to keep doing it(Patriot and Charger games, and the Steeler game to end run off the final 7:11 of gametime). It honestly seems like its more of a matchup thing. Bills struggle when there is a player like Buckner/Heyward who can basically destroy his man and make plays to disrupt the run game.

I liken the Bills offense a little bit to what the Chiefs did a lot last year where they would just put the game in Mahomes hands. Allen has that type of trust from the coaches now and honestly, it is with good reason. He has been phenomenal almost all year long except for a stretch of games where he was playing with a separated shoulder and harness that seemed to really effect his throwing motion and cause passes to sail.

ive been really impressed with the checks and audibles allen has been making at the line - pretty sure the diggs TD was a check by Allen at the LoS to get into that play because he saw 1v1 on the outside with diggs

that being said it's not as simple as the ravens blitzing and playing man - the genius of wink martindale's scheme is that the blitz could come from anywhere or it could not come at all on any given play - we'll sometimes have 10 guys at the LoS and maybe it's a cover 0 blitz but more likely we're only rushing 4 or 5 but they might not be the 4 or 5 you expect and we manage to get a free rusher without sending the house

it always requires crazy concentration by the OL and the back to identify and react to the ravens blitzers - some teams have dealt with it well but if we find a weakness in your OL communication or a failing somewhere with your pass pro you'll suddenly find that we'll be getting 4-5+ sacks

Bills OL might be the most important unit on the field on Saturday night - the game will go how they go most likely

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I loved tremaine edmunds in that draft class but it may well be that he'll be the read in level 2 on those inverted veer plays which means as long as lamar reads it right, edmunds is going to be wrong whatever he does

but the ravens probably used the inverted veer too often against the titans which meant the titans responded to it better - first team all season that had any sort of answer for the veer and lamar still gashed them with it once greg roman was a bit more selective about when he uses it

Matt

Practice Squad
ive been really impressed with the checks and audibles allen has been making at the line - pretty sure the diggs TD was a check by Allen at the LoS to get into that play because he saw 1v1 on the outside with diggs

that being said it's not as simple as the ravens blitzing and playing man - the genius of wink martindale's scheme is that the blitz could come from anywhere or it could not come at all on any given play - we'll sometimes have 10 guys at the LoS and maybe it's a cover 0 blitz but more likely we're only rushing 4 or 5 but they might not be the 4 or 5 you expect and we manage to get a free rusher without sending the house

it always requires crazy concentration by the OL and the back to identify and react to the ravens blitzers - some teams have dealt with it well but if we find a weakness in your OL communication or a failing somewhere with your pass pro you'll suddenly find that we'll be getting 4-5+ sacks

Bills OL might be the most important unit on the field on Saturday night - the game will go how they go most likely

Bills see this a lot with New England and Miami twice a year. Allen will be prepared for it. It might take a few series for him to figure it out, but he rarely gets fooled by the same thing twice. Bills have been exceptional at picking these things up all year long...sometimes it looks like the OLine just engulfs the blitzers like an amoeba and there is just a mass of bodies there at the line with nobody coming free. Our backs also are key as they excel in pass pro and blitz pickup. Moss is a big loss in this area because he stonewalls defenders. Singletary is good but he usually does "just enough" to let Allen get the pass off. I am worried if something happens to him or when he needs a breather, because the replacement of Yeldon/Williams haven't played much and are untested in this area. Turnovers may play a key role in this game as both teams are good at taking the ball away...Bills are 3rd in the NFL with 26 turnovers and Ravens are 6th or 7th with 22. Both teams are a +4 in TO differential. Might become whatever team protects the ball better wins.

On corner/slot blitzes, Allen does a great job pump faking to get them to jump or just avoiding them and escaping to the outside before making a throw...it will definitely be an interesting game of cat and mouse in terms of what they try and do.

Matt

Practice Squad
I loved tremaine edmunds in that draft class but it may well be that he'll be the read in level 2 on those inverted veer plays which means as long as lamar reads it right, edmunds is going to be wrong whatever he does

but the ravens probably used the inverted veer too often against the titans which meant the titans responded to it better - first team all season that had any sort of answer for the veer and lamar still gashed them with it once greg roman was a bit more selective about when he uses it

Bills did a fantastic job bottling up the run game last year against the Ravens, but Lawson was a much better contain defender than Addison is. I am worried he gets out of position or doesn't play his role properly and they repeatedly gash us by making him the conflict defender. The game will ultimately come down to the Ravens D I think and how effective Bills are at beating their coverages and blitzes because I don't see the Ravens being able to beat us by running, we simply score too many points most games. The D will need to get stops and/or turnovers.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bills see this a lot with New England and Miami twice a year. Allen will be prepared for it. It might take a few series for him to figure it out, but he rarely gets fooled by the same thing twice. Bills have been exceptional at picking these things up all year long...sometimes it looks like the OLine just engulfs the blitzers like an amoeba and there is just a mass of bodies there at the line with nobody coming free. Our backs also are key as they excel in pass pro and blitz pickup. Moss is a big loss in this area because he stonewalls defenders. Singletary is good but he usually does "just enough" to let Allen get the pass off. I am worried if something happens to him or when he needs a breather, because the replacement of Yeldon/Williams haven't played much and are untested in this area. Turnovers may play a key role in this game as both teams are good at taking the ball away...Bills are 3rd in the NFL with 26 turnovers and Ravens are 6th or 7th with 22. Both teams are a +4 in TO differential. Might become whatever team protects the ball better wins.

On corner/slot blitzes, Allen does a great job pump faking to get them to jump or just avoiding them and escaping to the outside before making a throw...it will definitely be an interesting game of cat and mouse in terms of what they try and do.

"New England", "Miami" defenses.... hahahaha

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't take a look at divisional games when I want to truly evaluate an offense. No matter how bad the Browns were the games have always been close. Your division knows more about you than conference opponents simply because of the fact you play them twice every year. Martindale's scheme and blitzes aren't comparable to what BB or his disciple in Miami run on defense.

The thing our defense struggles with is hurry-up offenses. In every game I've seen this season the Bills run a couple of hurry-up series. That's were you can cause serious damage because our defense requires more communication than others.

Another aspect is Buffalo's familiarity with Roman. I expect your defense to look better against the run than in other games in which you struggled.

Matt

Practice Squad
"New England", "Miami" defenses.... hahahaha

You realize the only reason you are the #1 scoring D this year is cause we hung 56 on the Dolphins the last game of the season right? They did a much better job defending Mahomes than the Ravens did. Also didn't have the benefit of playing the NFC East 4 times, playing the NFC West instead. Just saying...on balance they and us by being in the same division faced a lot better offenses overall and a tougher schedule.

That being said, the Ravens are a good defense. But they are not an elite defense. They have weaknesses and flaws just like all of them do. Bills will need to exploit those weaknesses if they want to move on.

Last edited:

VolsBillsMagic

Practice Squad

Correct, which is why I don't think we will ever deploy a look that simply has a one man QB spy
I really believe Baltimore can exploit us in the PA passing game this week as I would expect us to sell out to stop the run. It's our weakness on D and there is no way McDermott and Frazier are going to keep the same game plan we had against Indy. My guess is we will take our chances with Lamar trying to find the open holes in the zone

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
You realize the only reason you are the #1 scoring D this year is cause we hung 56 on the Dolphins the last game of the season right? They did a much better job defending Mahomes than the Ravens did. Also didn't have the benefit of playing the NFC East 4 times, playing the NFC West instead. Just saying.

And the only reason the Bills are the record they are is because they have a piss poor division