• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Bills fan here..

Matt

Practice Squad
Lol your right that pass was awful. Lamar in the interview afterward said it was a [profanity deleted] interception. It was 1 mistake he made all game. Also he took advantage of what the titans were giving, which were the flats. You can and should criticize that one play, but the generalization is just wrong

Fair enough. I will have to go watch some more games from this year. Does Roman still prefer using the middle of the field in the passing game? Have his passing concepts improved at all? His schemes were always considered kind of remedial when he was with the Bills in terms of passing concepts and/or plays. The narrative with him is that he starts out really great until teams catch up with him in the 2nd or 3rd years and then his offenses start being ineffective or easier to stop. Happened in SF, with he Bills and seemed to be happening again with the Ravens...has he done anything to turn that around?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Fair enough. I will have to go watch some more games from this year. Does Roman still prefer using the middle of the field in the passing game? Has his passing concepts improved at all? His schemes were always considered kind of remedial when he was with the Bills in terms of passing concepts and/or plays.

He certainly does love the tight ends and the middle of the field. And there definitely been chatter about the passing game not being great. For context though, that was primarily being said when we were having severe offensive line issues. Once we got the worked out, our run game got back on track and the passing game has been a nice compliment

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Fair enough. I will have to go watch some more games from this year. Does Roman still prefer using the middle of the field in the passing game? Have his passing concepts improved at all? His schemes were always considered kind of remedial when he was with the Bills in terms of passing concepts and/or plays. The narrative with him is that he starts out really great until teams catch up with him in the 2nd or 3rd years and then his offenses start being ineffective or easier to stop. Happened in SF, with he Bills and seemed to be happening again with the Ravens...has he done anything to turn that around?

there was some thought that was happening earlier in the year but the last 6-7 weeks the passing concepts have improved and they made a couple of interesting changes to how they were running the run scheme and it reinvigorated the running game so that it's operating at close to the level of explosiveness and efficiency as it did in 2019

we're still a middle of the field centric passing game - that's as much about lamar's strengths as it is Roman's concepts

lots of ravens fans were criticising him earlier in the year but that's just classic fan behaviour when the offence isnt working - it was far more about players not executing than it was poor playcalling or having a scheme figured out

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Think you are forgetting the Bills game last year...the Titans actually said the blueprint they used in the playoffs to win was designed by the Bills. We held the Ravens to 257 yards of total offense, 18 first downs, 3/11 on 3rd down and under 4 YPC rushing and only 24 points when they were putting up 400+ yards and 35+ points on everyone during that stretch of games. You won the game but other than the 61 yard pass to Hurst on a busted coverage, we did a pretty fantastic job on D. Actually it was the lowest output of the year in terms of yardage for the Ravens.

A loss is a loss. You guys lost

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
that's also a false narrative - lamar has looked bad in 2 playoff games

he's been absolutely phenomenal in lots of his primetime and big games including 2 unbelievable MNF games

Off topic, but my avatar is a phone pic I snapped at the MNF game in LA. An absolute joy of an evening. Watching Lamar knife through that defense was extraordinary. I'm hoping he has that kind of confidence and relaxed attitude back, now that those playoff/come from behind monkeys are off of his back.

Last edited:

Billsfan412

Practice Squad
This is a different bills team than you faced last year. This offense is elite. We saw your offense at its peak last year and it's practically the same personnel. And the only difference was a Jayden hurst broken play. Don't underestimate the progress Allen has made between last year to this year. Lamar is arguably worse than his MVP season.

Auslander716

Practice Squad
To save some face on behalf of Bills Mafia - I'm here to apologize for the other guy(s). I should start off on a good note. I tailgated with the Ravens Flock in 2019 and had a blast over beer and a mutual hatred for Cleveland. Yes, I dislike Cleveland more than the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots. The city sucks and the tailgating is worse. Anyways - as a hardcore Bills Mafia faithful - I hope:

1. I hope our run defense steps it up. Fast. But that's not going to happen. The Ravens will beat the hell out of the Bills on the ground. If Taylor can run without a mobile QB (Rivers) - Lamar and company will do more damage.

2. I hope someone covers Mark Andrews. I don't think Brown & Snead will have superstars games. Mark Andrews, though? The dude is getting in the end zone.

3. I hope our defensive line can get to Lamar. Another pipedream. We couldn't even touch Rivers.

So yeah - that's what I'm afraid of. I know the Bills will get on the board. Ever since Josh found his groove midseason - we've been throwing great man and zone coverage. Our run game is shit. I'd be shocked if Singletary even sniffs 75 yards. The only way the Bills win this game is if Allen plays LIGHTS OUT in a high scoring game.

The optimistic homer in me says BILLS 31 - 28

But the realist in me says RAVENS 24 - 20

GO BILLS!

Auslander716

Practice Squad
This is a different bills team than you faced last year. This offense is elite. We saw your offense at its peak last year and it's practically the same personnel. And the only difference was a Jayden hurst broken play. Don't underestimate the progress Allen has made between last year to this year. Lamar is arguably worse than his MVP season.

1. Bills defense is worse.
2. Bills run game is worse.

Matt

Practice Squad
1. Bills defense is worse.
2. Bills run game is worse.

Bills are disinterested in running more than it is really bad. The RBs averaged 4.5 YPC overall this year, which is slightly above average.

Defense is worse but has been a lot better over the 2nd half of the year, ranking 7th overall in the NFL during that time from being in the mid 20s for the first half of the year. Regardless, they will need to be a lot better than they were against Indy last week.

Matt

Practice Squad
To save some face on behalf of Bills Mafia - I'm here to apologize for the other guy(s). I should start off on a good note. I tailgated with the Ravens Flock in 2019 and had a blast over beer and a mutual hatred for Cleveland. Yes, I dislike Cleveland more than the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots. The city sucks and the tailgating is worse. Anyways - as a hardcore Bills Mafia faithful - I hope:

1. I hope our run defense steps it up. Fast. But that's not going to happen. The Ravens will beat the hell out of the Bills on the ground. If Taylor can run without a mobile QB (Rivers) - Lamar and company will do more damage.

2. I hope someone covers Mark Andrews. I don't think Brown & Snead will have superstars games. Mark Andrews, though? The dude is getting in the end zone.

3. I hope our defensive line can get to Lamar. Another pipedream. We couldn't even touch Rivers.

So yeah - that's what I'm afraid of. I know the Bills will get on the board. Ever since Josh found his groove midseason - we've been throwing great man and zone coverage. Our run game is shit. I'd be shocked if Singletary even sniffs 75 yards. The only way the Bills win this game is if Allen plays LIGHTS OUT in a high scoring game.

GO BILLS!

If Bills were smart they would double Andrews with Milano and either Poyer or Hyde and let Tre try to erase Brown.

Did you watch the Indy game? They wanted to run all over us too and we held them under 3 YPC through 3 quarters until we got up 14 points and went back to a double high safety look like we prefer to use to protect against deep throws because we thought they were going to pass. They gashed us with 3 big runs in the 4th. Bills CAN defend the run fairly well when they sell out to do it. They held Henry to 57 yards and 3.0 YPC, which was his lowest rushing total of the regular season, and held Josh Jacobs to 3.2 YPC and 48 yards.

The Bills can defend the run or the pass well when they want to but not both consistently this year. The Ravens MAY run all over us, but it is far from a given, especially with the way we defended them last year.

Gameplans are different. Colts have the best line in the NFL, not a surprise they blocked well. The goal shouldn't be to go after Jackson, it should be to force him to stay in the pocket and pressure him up the middle. Going after him is a recipe for disaster as he will evade he pressure and take off running, which is what we don't want. I would much prefer him throwing to someone slower than he is.

Auslander716

Practice Squad
If Bills were smart they would double Andrews with Milano and either Poyer or Hyde and let Tre try to erase Brown.

Did you watch the Indy game? They wanted to run all over us too and we held them under 3 YPC through 3 quarters until we got up 14 points and went back to a double high safety look like we prefer to use to protect against deep throws because we thought they were going to pass. They gashed us with 3 big runs in the 4th. Bills CAN defend the run fairly well when they sell out to do it. They held Henry to 57 yards and 3.0 YPC, which was his lowest rushing total of the regular season, and held Josh Jacobs to 3.2 YPC and 48 yards.

The Bills can defend the run or the pass well when they want to but not both consistently this year. The Ravens MAY run all over us, but it is far from a given, especially with the way we defended them last year.

Gameplans are different. Colts have the best line in the NFL, not a surprise they blocked well. The goal shouldn't be to go after Jackson, it should be to force him to stay in the pocket and pressure him up the middle. Going after him is a recipe for disaster as he will evade he pressure and take off running, which is what we don't want. I would much prefer him throwing to someone slower than he is.

Thats the achilles heel. We stopped everything last year. Now we need to sellout one or the other. I don't think Lamar is a fantastic passer so we need to stop the run. Blitz. Bend but don't break. Gotta throw Lamar off his game. Make Lamar work for his points and keep up with Buffalos passing game.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad

Good ol' Jayden. Everyone loves Jayden.

Wait - the Bills D allowed our #3 TE to get a 60+ yard TD?? They must suck.

Unfortunately, we traded Hayden Hurst, so there are no playmakers left. We used the draft pick we got for him to get KJ Poppins. Not sure he made the team.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

GO BILLS!

I also predicted 24-20 Ravens. I completely agree that the bills will get theirs on offense. The question though is can the red zone D force field goals. If so, then I feel confident the Ravens can hold Buff to 20. The reason I think the Ravens win is because I don't think you guys will be able to slow down our rushing game. At the end of the day, I think it's going to be a really good close game, where the Baltimore defense does just enough to get the win.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also predicted 24-20 Ravens. I completely agree that the bills will get theirs on offense. The question though is can the red zone D force field goals. If so, then I feel confident the Ravens can hold Buff to 20. The reason I think the Ravens win is because I don't think you guys will be able to slow down our rushing game. At the end of the day, I think it's going to be a really good close game, where the Baltimore defense does just enough to get the win.

tbf to the bills I think they've been statistically the best redzone offence in the league in 2020...

josh allen and lamar are both for their careers 40+ tds 0 Ints in the redzone iirc - lamar's leading the nfl in that category but josh allen is number 2...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
tbf to the bills I think they've been statistically the best redzone offence in the league in 2020...

josh allen and lamar are both for their careers 40+ tds 0 Ints in the redzone iirc - lamar's leading the nfl in that category but josh allen is number 2...

Yep and stopping them there is what it takes to win a playoff game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Also who have you played? What good teams have you beaten??? We beat 3 playoff teams. You lost to overrated steelers TWICE!!! We waxed thru the NFC west and the afc west. Your schedule is super soft. NFC East and the AFC south??? Wow what a joke. Jacksonville, Houston, bengals 2x, Giants, eagles cowboys redskins, patriots the worst 11 and 5 team ever steelers 2x?? Woof half your schedule was a joke. Where are your good wins? Indy? The browns? That's it
The AFC North had three teams go to the playoffs with 11-5 records or better. We also played the Colts, who also went to the playoffs. You played some pitiful defenses, the Ravens will be the best defenses you faced. Do your research, we almost beat the Steelers with 22 players on Covid-IR. The first time we only lost because we had 4 turnovers and multiple inside the red zone. I believe it was Lamar's first red zone turnover since becoming a pro, so yes we lost that game, but we weren't beaten.

We could say the same thing about you regarding how you were pummeled against the Titans. We may have lost to them during the season, but it was overtime and we were missing Campbell and Brandon Williams and it was our first game without LT Ronnie Stanley.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like our chances against the Ravens passing game. Bills are great at disguising coverages pre snap and even sometimes post snap due to our two safeties in Hyde and Poyer being so good at it. Jackson is a limited pocket passer if we can keep him there. His arm is average and he struggles to drive the ball on deep outs outside the numbers, which allows the Bills to basically shorten the width of the field they really need to defend. Whatever they did last year against him was extremely effective, and the only time he really hurt us was on that blown coverage on Hurst out of halftime. The issue will be if we can keep him in the pocket and get them into 3rd and medium to long enough times.
I’m telling you right now lol, if you think simply keeping Lamar in the pocket and playing zone is all you need to do, you’re gonna be a disappointed Bills fan when you see his “limited” arm.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This has nothing to do with that post but I'm sick and tired of the Vick comparisons. Vick is nowhere near the thrower that Lamar is. Arm strength does not make you a great passer. Also, as for running? Lamar has him beat there too.

If anything, Lamar is more like RG3.
RG3 never had the quickness that Lamar had. He had much more of the straight line speed. I've always seen Steve Young in Lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yes he threw his worst pick of his career on the 2nd drive against the titans
he had a nearly flawless passing game outside of that
So is nobody gonna talk about the safety that came screaming into the pocket totally untouched as Lamar was throwing that? He couldn’t step into the throw at all

not really that I’m excusing such a shit throw lol but that DEFINITELY had an impact on the release

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well the run game just kinda started clicking with new wrinkles and better personnel decisions, and the passing game came back to life a little bit. Hollywood has been used more frequently, Roman began attacking the perimeter on the ground and it has worked incredibly well(something this entire board has been clamoring for all year lol), and last week you saw Roman take note of what the defense was giving us and designing plays around it and the ravens marched with it, in short, the titans went with the narrative of forcing Lamar to throw outside, and he did just that and we won because of it