• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
arizona, seattle, NE, both games @cle, colts, titans WC, all felt like fairly clutch games from lamar, games where hes either going back and forth against an offense thats keeping us on the ropes, or is able to make enough plays vs a defense thats kicking our asses, i wouldnt say hes never appeared clutch, just that hes had 4 playoff games and looked bad in 3.

49ers in 2019 too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In an effort to keep the OL in good shape for this season, I'd be fine rolling with Stanley at RT this season as he works his way back. This would keep Brown at LT and happy. Keeps open the option to trade him mid-season if Stanley looks ready or to collect a compensatory pick when he walks. Obviously, I'd like to keep him long term at RT or move him for better draft compensation. Either way, I'd be looking for a OT early in the draft.

absolutely not lol - Stanley's a LT - no point moving him at all - either he's healthy enough to go or he's not - but he's our LT and it would be crazy to move him from that spot

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we can somehow walk away from free agency with retaining Bowser, bringing in 1 quality offensive lineman, and either Marvin Jones or Corey Davis (But I significantly prefer Jones) i would be delighted.

Something I've been thinking for awhile is the Ravens wont cut BWill for only 7.5 million. The more I think about it though, if that 7.5 million is the difference between being able to retain Judon or Yannick, I think we have to do that. Our pass rush was not great and I shutter to imagine what it might be next year if the situation isn't given some care.

EDC made it fairly clear that the only way BWill gets cut is if we really need that 7.5m and can't find a way to do it without cutting him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah interesting to note that the "true cap", if not for the agreement to institute a cap floor and smooth out the hit, would have been about $155M.

So assuming they're going to spread out some of that cap reduction over a few years, I'm not certain we'll see the massive jump in 2022 that people are expecting.

I think it’ll probably go back into the upper 190s next year. The TV money they’re about to get is going to be huge, but still think they’ll end up going a bit less of the cap to make up for the shortfalls last year. You might see $210-220M if it were normal, so still a pretty big hit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it’ll probably go back into the upper 190s next year. The TV money they’re about to get is going to be huge, but still think they’ll end up going a bit less of the cap to make up for the shortfalls last year. You might see $210-220M if it were normal, so still a pretty big hit.
Yeah I mean it'll sort of depend on what 2021 revenue looks like. Even with TV contracts, COVID is still a wildcard, and we're all just assuming they'll have full capacity stadiums in September. I think that's premature at this point.
That being said... that's an $880M revenue shortfall that isn't captured in the 2021 salary cap. I'm quite confident the Owners aren't going to just be eating that and not passing on the players portion, nor should they.

Maybe they'll only scale back it back $5-10M at a time for a few years to make up for it. I don't know the intricacies at this point. So yeah, if the cap were $200M, assuming all goes well for 2021, it wouldn't surprise me.

That being said... I've seen a lot of reporting who were projecting the 2022 cap to "normal" levels, as if the pandemic never happened. i.e., pre-pandemic, you probably could have seen a 2022 cap of like $215-220M, which would be like a $40M increase YoY. I don't see that happening, given the shortfall.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Now that you say it, the fumble was very flukey and it was souring my opinion on a very difficult game played vs a SB team in a torrential downpour and he led a game winning fg drive... so yeah add that one lol

like what's more clutch than a tied-game in the 4th quarter with around 7mins left on the clock in a downpour against an awesome defence and not giving them the ball back

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I mean it'll sort of depend on what 2021 revenue looks like. Even with TV contracts, COVID is still a wildcard, and we're all just assuming they'll have full capacity stadiums in September. I think that's premature at this point.
That being said... that's an $880M revenue shortfall that isn't captured in the 2021 salary cap. I'm quite confident the Owners aren't going to just be eating that and not passing on the players portion, nor should they.

Maybe they'll only scale back it back $5-10M at a time for a few years to make up for it. I don't know the intricacies at this point. So yeah, if the cap were $200M, assuming all goes well for 2021, it wouldn't surprise me.

That being said... I've seen a lot of reporting who were projecting the 2022 cap to "normal" levels, as if the pandemic never happened. i.e., pre-pandemic, you probably could have seen a 2022 cap of like $215-220M, which would be like a $40M increase YoY. I don't see that happening, given the shortfall.

rumours are they might be getting double or more from the re-worked TV deals though - that would be the way that you end up back at "normal" levels next year and beyond - because in a way that would be a depressed cap vs what it would have been had the tv deal, 17th game player revenue share increase and the increased player revenue share generally from the last CBA (obviously hard to know what the impact of that would have been because the pandemic hit)

with no pandemic the cap was likely about to skyrocket so a "normal" level may well be possible because it was going to massively increase otherwise

that would be my guess as to why those reports etc. are reporting stuff like that

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
EDC made it fairly clear that the only way BWill gets cut is if we really need that 7.5m and can't find a way to do it without cutting him

Yep I saw that. And that's why this is kind of a head scratcher for me. He knows what he's doing and we'll see if he finds a way to keep BWill and do the other things he wants to do. My only thought is if his 7.5m totally precludes retaining more important pieces, idk how you justify that. I believe in EDC though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep I saw that. And that's why this is kind of a head scratcher for me. He knows what he's doing and we'll see if he finds a way to keep BWill and do the other things he wants to do. My only thought is if his 7.5m totally precludes retaining more important pieces, idk how you justify that. I believe in EDC though.

but who are we gonna be able to retain for 7.5m that we're stopped by keeping Brandon on the roster...
and it would open up another hole on the roster... unless we're all content with Justin Ellis playing 30+ snaps a game

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
rumours are they might be getting double or more from the re-worked TV deals though - that would be the way that you end up back at "normal" levels next year and beyond - because in a way that would be a depressed cap vs what it would have been had the tv deal, 17th game player revenue share increase and the increased player revenue share generally from the last CBA (obviously hard to know what the impact of that would have been because the pandemic hit)

with no pandemic the cap was likely about to skyrocket so a "normal" level may well be possible because it was going to massively increase otherwise

that would be my guess as to why those reports etc. are reporting stuff like that
Sure. I just don't know what the new TV deals are going to look like or how big they go. 17th game will certainly have an impact. Also waiting to see how Sunday NFL ticket shakes out with AT&T. Seems to be a foregone conclusion they'll lose that exclusivity (a $1.5B annual deal), but don't know if they'll get same sort of deals with another provider. Heard everything from Amazon to Disney making a play for that.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Some NFL folks are predicting we sign JuJu lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The other thing from EDC's presser that's interesting regarding Brandon Williams is that he talks about nose tackles being effective for a long-time - it's possible he takes a paycut of course (but unlikely given he already took one and the only reason his cap hit is so large is because we've restructured his deal a bajillion times) - but EDC specifically talking about the longevity of nose tackles could bring an extension into play perhaps (obviously given his snap counts and lack of pass rush it would have to come in at a reasonable amount)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Nagging feeling that Emmanuel sanders becomes a raven very soon

i think it made more sense for us to go after him last year... idk that we make that move this year but maybe we do - cap casualty certainly helps his cause

I really want Marvin but wouldn’t mind Sanders at all
He's my next #SIIE target for personal reasons lol. My dad was PISSED that the Niners couldn't keep him. When he heard that Sanders was released, he's hoping that they bring him back.

But then I remembered the day I came home, turned the TV on and saw that Boldin got traded to them. I remembered that smile on his face and telling me "Oh man, thank you!" So.......yeah I want payback LMAOOO.