• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The other thing from EDC's presser that's interesting regarding Brandon Williams is that he talks about nose tackles being effective for a long-time - it's possible he takes a paycut of course (but unlikely given he already took one and the only reason his cap hit is so large is because we've restructured his deal a bajillion times) - but EDC specifically talking about the longevity of nose tackles could bring an extension into play perhaps (obviously given his snap counts and lack of pass rush it would have to come in at a reasonable amount)
Possible. I suspect they'll just go the Jimmy route with him. Let him hit the market next year, see that the grass isn't always green, and possibly come back for much cheaper. Like I see plenty of scenarios where we could sign him for like $4-5M next year, or possibly even less.

I agree that nose tackles can play a long time, but I'm not really sure I see evidence of like highly paid, highly skilled nose tackles well into their 30s.
I mean BWILL was compared pretty heavily to like Snack Harrison back when they signed their deals, and that guy is bouncing around team to team annually on like veteran minimum deals at 32. I think Williams is better, but I think the Ravens would be crazy to be trying to extend BWill without seeing what the market looks like.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Possible. I suspect they'll just go the Jimmy route with him. Let him hit the market next year, see that the grass isn't always green, and possibly come back for much cheaper. Like I see plenty of scenarios where we could sign him for like $4-5M next year, or possibly even less.

I agree that nose tackles can play a long time, but I'm not really sure I see evidence of like highly paid, highly skilled nose tackles well into their 30s.
I mean BWILL was compared pretty heavily to like Snack Harrison back when they signed their deals, and that guy is bouncing around team to team annually on like veteran minimum deals at 32. I think Williams is better, but I think the Ravens would be crazy to be trying to extend BWill without seeing what the market looks like.

im not talking about a big deal like his first one - just that EDC talked about those guys being able to play well into their 30s - the money's likely to be a lot less with every year that goes by

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
im not talking about a big deal like his first one - just that EDC talked about those guys being able to play well into their 30s - the money's likely to be a lot less with every year that goes by
Right but I guess my point is that I don't know how they could know what the price is, really. Like I don't think BWill would take an extension at $3M per. Maybe, but I doubt it.

He pretty much checks every box of a player you'd like the market set value for and you react to.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll summarize the notable highlights from the DeCosta/Harbaugh PC today:
  • Not much progress on the Lamar contract talks, but DeCosta kind of hinted at the idea that he knows it'll be super expensive and "discounts" aren't really a thing with these types of discussions
  • Doesn't appear to be any urgency to trade Brown. In fact, both DeCosta and Harbaugh referenced him as an option at LT if Stanley doesn't progress through the offseason. DeCosta said "what's best for the team" on like numerous occasions in these discussions. General thought is he may be more likely to stay than leave.
  • Prelim discussions with Andrews on long-term extension are ongoing
  • Looking to get more draft picks (7 currently)
  • Expectation is Brandon Williams to be on the roster in 2021
  • Gus Edwards will be back, either as a tendered RFA or on an extension
  • Multiple directions they feel they can go at Center. DeCosta said top internal option, at this point, may be moving Bozeman to Center. Seems pretty clear Ravens are unhappy with what they had in 2020 there.
  • Earl Thomas grievance is ongoing and will take time to resolve.
I figured we would entertain Bozeman back at C. It makes a lot of sense to me. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see us draft or sign an interior lineman to play G and us Bozeman’s familiarity with the offense and the position for a more seamless transition
Combo of the 2 if I had to guess. Need T insurance for both spots as it currently stands. But the Stanley scenario is definitely something interesting now that we know he had 2 surgeries. I was always kind of against it because I know Stanley doesn't have an easy recovery, but this just makes it more concrete that we need to keep Brown unless we get a huge offer that you can't turn down.

It's worth asking at this point if a 1st round pick is worth potentially have neither T on the field. My answer is a firm no at this point.
As someone who said I’d trade Brown only if we got a crazy haul, no way I entertain it now that I hear Stanley had another surgery. I’d absolutely keep him here at this point. You can always trade him in October if that’s in the cards but I wouldn’t let him go now.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I figured we would entertain Bozeman back at C. It makes a lot of sense to me. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see us draft or sign an interior lineman to play G and us Bozeman’s familiarity with the offense and the position for a more seamless transition

As someone who said I’d trade Brown only if we got a crazy haul, no way I entertain it now that I hear Stanley had another surgery. I’d absolutely keep him here at this point. You can always trade him in October if that’s in the cards but I wouldn’t let him go now.
In regards to Bozeman, I'm on the fence.

I understand the possibility of him moving. It may be difficult to land a good Center in FA, and, like normal, I don't think we should pigeon-hole ourselves into being "forced" to take a Center in the draft. I already think we're 100% going to have to draft a Tackle or maybe two, just because the market is so bad and its a need for us. So at that point, you're talking about essentially being "forced" into drafting at least 2 or maybe even 3 offensive lineman. Again, not ideal from a draft perspective.

That being said... at the moment, it seems "easier" to get a Guard in FA than a Center, given how many above average Guards I've seen get cut just this week alone. It's hard to say what price points in FA will look like, but I really can't recall a time where so many above average Guards were available in FA, and getting one and moving Bozeman over does make some sense.

However, I'm generally a fan of "if player X is really good at Y position, keep him at Y position". Bozeman is a very good Guard. I think he's widely undervalued league-wide, and I think the Ravens should be willing to commit pretty good money to retain him long term. I'd like to see him stay there and do what he does best. Do I think he can play Center? Sure. I just think he's a better Guard, and generally, I'd try to avoid shuffling players around unless you have to (i.e. injury concerns). Like I'm pretty sure Yanda could be an average or even above average Right Tackle, because I've seen him do it. But he was a stud Guard, and so we should make every effort to keep him there.

In an ideal world, I'm trying to sign the best Center I can get in FA, looking to add a mid-tier, reasonably price Guard in FA for competition for Powers, and then I'm hammering the draft for Tackles. But in reality, I just don't know what the price points for Centers are going to be like, and there's clearly less supply of them than Guards at the moment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I understand the possibility of him moving. It may be difficult to land a good Center in FA, and, like normal, I don't think we should pigeon-hole ourselves into being "forced" to take a Center in the draft. I already think we're 100% going to have to draft a Tackle or maybe two, just because the market is so bad and its a need for us. So at that point, you're talking about essentially being "forced" into drafting at least 2 or maybe even 3 offensive lineman. Again, not ideal from a draft perspective.

That being said... at the moment, it seems "easier" to get a Guard in FA than a Center, given how many above average Guards I've seen get cut just this week alone. It's hard to say what price points in FA will look like, but I really can't recall a time where so many above average Guards were available in FA, and getting one and moving Bozeman over does make some sense.

However, I'm generally a fan of "if player X is really good at Y position, keep him at Y position". Bozeman is a very good Guard. I think he's widely undervalued league-wide, and I think the Ravens should be willing to commit pretty good money to retain him long term. I'd like to see him stay there and do what he does best. Do I think he can play Center? Sure. I just think he's a better Guard, and generally, I'd try to avoid shuffling players around unless you have to (i.e. injury concerns). Like I'm pretty sure Yanda could be an average or even above average Right Tackle, because I've seen him do it. But he was a stud Guard, and so we should make every effort to keep him there.

In an ideal world, I'm trying to sign the best Center I can get in FA, looking to add a mid-tier, reasonably price Guard in FA for competition for Powers, and then I'm hammering the draft for Tackles. But in reality, I just don't know what the price points for Centers are going to be like, and there's clearly less supply of them than Guards at the moment.

for what it's worth EDC talked about the different options at C in vague terms - but talked about the draft, free agency but that they had an in-house option too

and Zrebiec said he's been told that Bozeman is the in-house C option that we like

i'd imagine like you say it's not that we'd want to necessarily have to move him - but his ability to play those 2 positions allows us extra flexibility to just go after the best OL we can get at all 3 positions across the line because Bozeman allows us to keep our best 5 on the field

if we find a guy who fits at RG better then great, if we find a guy who fits at LG better then great, if we find a guy who's a C then great...

and that's obviously separate to finding a tackle

rossihunter2

Staff Member
some of the restructures i'm seeing are wild - cannot believe they won't put their teams in cap peril in the future lol
also the saints doing creative stuff just to create 600k in cap space lol

and then you've got all the void year stuff too - already seen Tyrell Williams's contract which despite only being 6.2m in total value (and 4m guaranteed) is basically only 3m guaranteed in year 1 (of a 1 year deal) at least 1m in year 2 depending on if he hits 2.2m in incentives

obviously that's a minor example but a team's done that just to save 1m on this year's cap

if the cap doesn't increase a ton like many are expecting next year there's going to be teams in a ton of trouble next year too cap-wise

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love this man lol. He’s still very guarded with what he says, but it’s awesome that he does these type of things. It gives you a little look into his psyche.

he just loves to engage with people - genuinely loves his job and wants to share that with people where he can

and it makes a lot of sense how we're able to retain guys who otherwise might get or take jobs elsewhere... joe hortiz, george kokinis, nick matteo, vincent newsome - some very experienced guys with an incredible track record who've never shown much interest in moving on

scott cohen was interviewed by the texans to be a GM this year and nick matteo declined the panthers offer to interview

Simba

Staff Member
he just loves to engage with people - genuinely loves his job and wants to share that with people where he can

and it makes a lot of sense how we're able to retain guys who otherwise might get or take jobs elsewhere... joe hortiz, george kokinis, nick matteo, vincent newsome - some very experienced guys with an incredible track record who've never shown much interest in moving on

scott cohen was interviewed by the texans to be a GM this year and nick matteo declined the panthers offer to interview

That's always what I get out of these little videos - he's so happy to be doing what he's doing. Nothing against Ozzie of course, but he would never do something like this. EDC just loves his job and likes messing with people a little bit as well lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chiefs have cut both of their starting Tackles (Fisher and Schwartz), so they'll obviously be in the market for replacements this offseason.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's always what I get out of these little videos - he's so happy to be doing what he's doing. Nothing against Ozzie of course, but he would never do something like this. EDC just loves his job and likes messing with people a little bit as well lol

Ozzie's still great at what he does clearly (but i think it's pretty clear that he didn't love all aspects of being a GM towards the end so the role he's in now that's got no public facing duties suits him down to the ground)

but i do wonder whether he would have managed to pivot to the adjustments required by the pandemic as easily as EDC was able to

Simba

Staff Member
Ozzie's still great at what he does clearly (but i think it's pretty clear that he didn't love all aspects of being a GM towards the end so the role he's in now that's got no public facing duties suits him down to the ground)

but i do wonder whether he would have managed to pivot to the adjustments required by the pandemic as easily as EDC was able to

I don't think so, honestly. EDC is a big tech and analytics type of guy. Ozzie is more old school.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Rossi pretty much sums up my thoughts on it and you did to an extent as well. He's just a good option but not a definitive option. It's just a way to be flexible without having to worry about a specific position but get the best player. It would be great if we can get a C and then keep Bozeman at LG, but with how things look it may just work out that we get a LG instead and that's OK too. I just want the best OL regardless of what it takes but agree it's best to get guys in their best positions, too.
for what it's worth EDC talked about the different options at C in vague terms - but talked about the draft, free agency but that they had an in-house option too

and Zrebiec said he's been told that Bozeman is the in-house C option that we like

i'd imagine like you say it's not that we'd want to necessarily have to move him - but his ability to play those 2 positions allows us extra flexibility to just go after the best OL we can get at all 3 positions across the line because Bozeman allows us to keep our best 5 on the field

if we find a guy who fits at RG better then great, if we find a guy who fits at LG better then great, if we find a guy who's a C then great...

and that's obviously separate to finding a tackle
Yes sir, you hit it for me. That's how I see it, too. No need to stress, you have a guy who can definitely play C and play well if you can't find an option and if we find an elite G then that's a no brainer, man.
some of the restructures i'm seeing are wild - cannot believe they won't put their teams in cap peril in the future lol
also the saints doing creative stuff just to create 600k in cap space lol

and then you've got all the void year stuff too - already seen Tyrell Williams's contract which despite only being 6.2m in total value (and 4m guaranteed) is basically only 3m guaranteed in year 1 (of a 1 year deal) at least 1m in year 2 depending on if he hits 2.2m in incentives

obviously that's a minor example but a team's done that just to save 1m on this year's cap

if the cap doesn't increase a ton like many are expecting next year there's going to be teams in a ton of trouble next year too cap-wise
There's so many crazy moves being made but we all probably expected this and so did Eric I assume. If I had to imagine, some of these teams may have bailout options in place for this exact scenario you described. Are there any guys they can cut next year that would compensate for it? We may see a credit card mentality league-wide this year and next like we did after our Super Bowl run.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
With all the starting quality guards on the market we should be able to grab one for a team friendly deal. Hell, maybe two of them to really sure up the line. Then a tackle in the draft to be Brown's successor. This is the perfect off-season to really build up the line.