• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm desperately fighting my bias here. But it can't just be that looks at Bateman and Wallace running those routes and says these guys are just better players than Boykin, Duvernay, and Proche.

They're smooth AF

i mean they are better than those guys at route-running already though - boykin and duvernay at least were not good route-runners coming out of college and neither has developed into a good route-runner as a pro (duvernay's still got some chance)

but bateman and wallace were route-runners in college

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm desperately fighting my bias here. But it can't just be that looks at Bateman and Wallace running those routes and says these guys are just better players than Boykin, Duvernay, and Proche.

They're smooth AF
They both looked better on film than any of those guys by miles.

Boykin was terribly over drafted, something many felt at the time of his drafting, I felt duvernay was overdrafted and was only gonna work on an offense that manufactured him, and proche was always a guy you hoped had an AB like development as a late round long shot who’s got some hands and route running chops.

bateman without a 2020 slump had top 15 film, Wallace before his latest injuries was looking like a late 1/early2 on film.

there’s no comparing these guys to any ravens wr outside of Hollywood or Watkins. Worlds apart

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They both looked better on film than any of those guys by miles.

Boykin was terribly over drafted, something many felt at the time of his drafting, I felt duvernay was overdrafted and was only gonna work on an offense that manufactured him, and proche was always a guy you hoped had an AB like development as a late round long shot who’s got some hands and route running chops.

bateman without a 2020 slump had top 15 film, Wallace before his latest injuries was looking like a late 1/early2 on film.

there’s no comparing these guys to any ravens wr outside of Hollywood or Watkins. Worlds apart

if tylan runs a few 100ths faster in his 40 then he probably goes 2nd round

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
As stupid as it sounds, is Boykin's job safer than Proche's purely because With Rashod, Hollywood, and Sammy as the starting trio, if one of Rashod or Sammy gets hurt, Boykin is more the type of receiver to step up and fill that role than Proche? Between Duv and Wallace the burner and slot type roles have backups. But who's gonna spell Sammy or Rashod?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
As stupid as it sounds, is Boykin's job safer than Proche's purely because With Rashod, Hollywood, and Sammy as the starting trio, if one of Rashod or Sammy gets hurt, Boykin is more the type of receiver to step up and fill that role than Proche? Between Duv and Wallace the burner and slot type roles have backups. But who's gonna spell Sammy or Rashod?
He's likely a keeper for more reasons than you rightfully laid out. For one, he is a tremendous downfield blocker and can make catches when it counts. He's proven it. All he needs to do, is develop chemistry with Lamar and find a way to be in Lamar's line of sight when plays break down.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
He's likely a keeper for more reasons than you rightfully laid out. For one, he is a tremendous downfield blocker and can make catches when it counts. He's proven it. All he needs to do, is develop chemistry with Lamar and find a way to be in Lamar's line of sight when plays break down.

I obviously agree with the blocking but there are a lot of what seem to be mental problems. He runs the wrong route. Plays timid. Doesn't hangout with Lamar and the rest of the offense. Hes just totally lacking the chemistry and grit that is required of him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That 3rd point probably has you fired up!

yeah man - idk whether hensley's just noting it because they're the new guys with 2 of the most visible rookies - or whether it's notable because it's a marked change from Culley and Engram

i didnt know much about tee martin (and there wasnt a ton to find out about him after we signed him) but ive been following dubb for a little while and always seen bits and pieces of his offseason work and was hyped when we brought him in

if hensley really is noting it as a difference in style then i cannot tell you how excited that makes me for these guys - cant wait for Dubb to get his hands on Hollywood

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
When harbs was giving his initial thoughts on Rookie minicamp he was just so smiley. Harbs is kinda like that when talking about his players, but I think he really likes this group of guys.

One notable quote is Bateman is as advertised.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
When Ben Cleveland talks, it just feels to me like that guy doesn't believe the guy accross from him has any chance of beating him. What an animal! If he plays well, he'll surely he a fan favorite.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the ravens seemed to scout and draft tylan (from everything they've said about him) as an outside receiver - i imagine they see flexibility in him and my guess is he immediately usurps boykin as the backup iso/x/boundary receiver - also helps that sammy, rashod and hollywood can all play outside

idk that boykin's size really helps him out in that case - and if we just need someone to run off coverage then duvernay's gonna be just as effective running deep clear outs

and if they do see tylan as an outside receiver first, then there's a space for proche to carve out a possession slot type role

but it's going to come down to special teams - duvernay's locked in as WR4 because he's going to be active on gamedays as the returner and maybe even the gunner too and tylan's likely WR 5 (or maybe higher) as long as he can contribute on special teams

boykin's a backup gunner and a downfield blocker - proche's a backup returner
boykin's got the leg up but proche's got a bigger chance to develop both as a receiver and a special teamer

it's going to be a massive training camp and offseason for both

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
the ravens seemed to scout and draft tylan (from everything they've said about him) as an outside receiver - i imagine they see flexibility in him and my guess is he immediately usurps boykin as the backup iso/x/boundary receiver - also helps that sammy, rashod and hollywood can all play outside

idk that boykin's size really helps him out in that case - and if we just need someone to run off coverage then duvernay's gonna be just as effective running deep clear outs

and if they do see tylan as an outside receiver first, then there's a space for proche to carve out a possession slot type role

but it's going to come down to special teams - duvernay's locked in as WR4 because he's going to be active on gamedays as the returner and maybe even the gunner too and tylan's likely WR 5 (or maybe higher) as long as he can contribute on special teams

boykin's a backup gunner and a downfield blocker - proche's a backup returner
boykin's got the leg up but proche's got a bigger chance to develop both as a receiver and a special teamer

it's going to be a massive training camp and offseason for both

If Wallace can play outside at the NFL level than I agree with you. Hopefully our coaches can get the best out of him. One other side note, apparently both Wallace and Bateman were doing punt return drills fwtw.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

They're smooth AF
Proche looks a bit more fluid than boykin and duvernay but yea i agree with you

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I hope he turns out to be nice..hype even getting me hyped for his ass
As far as I'm concerned, that's Baltimore's ass

tenor.gif

JAAM

Hall of Famer
31522457-D8B1-4A54-BB35-7814B8333107.jpeg