• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Bernard Pollard Speaks Out on Harbaugh Again

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No the biggest problem with the offense is that the top 4 options at guard are on IR. If you lack an OLine you cannot win in the NFL.

Bad luck is the biggest piece of blame right now and its horrible because every question mark on the OLine ended up looking good, it's just now that the interior is weakened the options on a pass play are 1st read, checkdown, or take a sack.
Absolutely not correct and doesn't reflect what we've seen on the field.
Our O line plays pretty good football actually. Flacco has enough time, why he does it too early is for debate.

Our oline is overachieving and (surprisingly) Flacco is getting more time to throw than all but 4 teams. We can no longer blame the oline for Flacco playing like shit.

Tank

Hall of Famer
No the biggest problem with the offense is that the top 4 options at guard are on IR. If you lack an OLine you cannot win in the NFL.

Bad luck is the biggest piece of blame right now and its horrible because every question mark on the OLine ended up looking good, it's just now that the interior is weakened the options on a pass play are 1st read, checkdown, or take a sack.
Don’t bother, using logic and common sense doesn’t give folks anything to bitch and cry about. Just let ‘em bitch and cry. :crying:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Our oline is overachieving and (surprisingly) Flacco is getting more time to throw than all but 4 teams. We can no longer blame the oline for Flacco playing like shit.
How about the guys that can’t catch? Or stay on the field? Think if they did their fucking jobs the passing game and offense might be better?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely not correct and doesn't reflect what we've seen on the field.
Our O line plays pretty good football actually. Flacco has enough time, why he does it too early is for debate.

You know what we see when he takes more time.... the pocket breaks down and he gets sacked.

You know what we see when we send more than 2 on a deep route so they can't double cover it... the pocket breaks down and he gets sacked.

Are you really arguing that having both guards being 3rd stringers, and while maybe they look like 2nd stringers that's about it, but that having the 3rd stringers starting is not the problem.

No team is that deep or can go that deep on the OLine. That's not a Ravens only thing by the way. The reason the Pats,lost in 2015 to the hollowed out remains of Peyton Manning is that they had nothing left on the OLine so it was a revolving door.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You know what we see when he takes more time.... the pocket breaks down and he gets sacked.

You know what we see when we send more than 2 on a deep route so they can't double cover it... the pocket breaks down and he gets sacked.

Are you really arguing that having both guards being 3rd stringers, and while maybe they look like 2nd stringers that's about it, but that having the 3rd stringers starting is not the problem.

No team is that deep or can go that deep on the OLine. That's not a Ravens only thing by the way. The reason the Pats,lost in 2015 to the hollowed out remains of Peyton Manning is that they had nothing left on the OLine so it was a revolving door.
No.
I am arguing that what our O line produces without starters is not the reason for Flacco dumping the ball so quick to the first read.
Is it in Flacco's head or Marty's design, I have no idea but in either case Flacco looks and plays like shit. Shit if scared and shit if he doesn't stop Marty's play calling nonsense, like he did with Cam's.
But as I said few times already, Flacco doesn't seem to give a shit any longer. That's how he looks to me.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
No.
I am arguing that what our O line produces without starters is not the reason for Flacco dumping the ball so quick to the first read.
Is it in Flacco's head or Marty's design, I have no idea but in either case Flacco looks and plays like shit. Shit if scared and shit if he doesn't stop Marty's play calling nonsense, like he did with Cam's.
But as I said few times already, Flacco doesn't seem to give a shit any longer. That's how he looks to me.

The problem is reality doesn't back up how it "looks" to you. The reason that our line is even holding up is because we are giving them some of the most help of any team in the league.

By giving all that help though, that means less players running routes, which means easier time for secondary.

If we add more people running routes it ends in a sack so we are left with 2 and 3 players,running a route and the secondary having an easy time of it.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I used to not be able to stand Flacco haters, but the apologists are just as bad nowadays.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I used to not be able to stand Flacco haters, but the apologists are just as bad nowadays.
personally hate them both I’ve stuck up for Flacco before and shot him down before I’ve accepted a long time ago Flacco is an average QB who turns it on when things matter period never set expectations for the guy but come time for playoffs or must win games he always turns it up

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Adreme, something tells me you don't read much and remember less. Are you really here trying to make an argument that the 2013 defensive team was better than the 2012 defensive team? Where is your common sense and game eye flock brother from a wrong bird mother? Seriously, you're not really trying to sell that line of patter here are you? because we are all laughing our butts off and we are not laughing with you!

Oh man...its thick. Ok the 2013 Defense lacked Pollard, Lewis, Reed, Ellerbe, Williams and Kruger among others. That D laid down in died in game one and in games 15 and 16 when we had a chance to get in. That D was blowed away, like ozze and harball after the purge. I mean seriously? Where in the eye test of losing to the Bears and the Bills and the Browns did you see a better Defense? Don't be shy step up and say it.

Lets assume you didn't know Ray Lewis missed a big part of 2012 and didn't know how he balled out in the playoffs vs Denver. Lets assume you missed his mostly stellar play vs the Pats in the AFC Championship. Or you missed Suggs absence until late in the year. Let's assume you did not know the other defensive contributors on I.R. in 2012 and that YOU really only follow concerns like PFF and other STATS. Can we safely assume that?......You know we can!!!

That given, did you know the 2012 defense with all it had to overcome during the year was overall ranked around 16th? Do you know what the 2013 defense ranked? That's a statistic a statistics guy got to know right? I mean you got to know it!

Where do you think the 2012 defense ranked against the run and pass respectively as compared to the 2013 defense?

Which of those defenses allowed fewer overall points? Come on PFF guy, don't be shy! just be accurate because cuz folks are laughing!

Now when you get to Truth about the Useless Stats, have the decency to come back here and throw yourself prone and apologize to knowledgeable posters here for being misled even about stats. But understand those who know will nevertheless concede that all stats are useless and misleading. But if one is gonna use that stat tripe at least have the integrity to be accurate with it.

Moral of the story is all team/season stats are relative to many things including time lost to injury or key I.R. Stats are always misleading and can't be the basis of any informed opinion. They are ancillary at best.

Second moral of the story...don't bring a knife to a forum gun fight.

Measure him for the casket and make the box out of cheap wood.
Was the direct mention a shot in my direction? In either case, the mocking attempt at utilizing numbers to aid your point is an interesting approach considering it uses yardage rankings that disprove the very same point. It's worsened further by the, "just be accurate because cuz folks are laughing," line that follows given how much it backfires due to the errors. It's perhaps even stranger to argue in favor of recognizing context beyond statistics and then ignoring the concept altogether afterwards. Let's bypass that the likes of Ellerbe, Pollard, Williams and Kruger had equally capable or superior replacements and focus on the aforementioned mention of being forced to overcome adversity. Now with respect to the defensive performance of 2013, a few of the examples were fair. We were absolutely dusted in the second half on the Denver game. Jason Campbell was effective and efficient against our defense in our disappointing loss to the Browns, even though the final lead-changing TD was scored after a muffed punt by Tandon Doss that pit Cleveland on our own 11. The rest of the examples take a rather dramatic turn, furthered by the insult hurled towards @Adreme about memory.
  • Of the memorable aspects of our 20-23 loss to Buffalo, the biggest was Kiko Alonso's game-icing INT at their 48 off of Dallas Clark's tip. We threw 5 INTs in that game, with multiple picks within our own 30. The only reason we were alive at the end was because our defense came away with 2 INTs and an FR on 4 FFs. We shut them down in the 4th, with 2 forced punts and an INT in 3 drives, and the only points we allowed in the 2nd half came off of an FG that started with an Alonso pick which put the ball on our own 48.
  • We lost the Chicago game in large part due to pick six by David Bass when it was a one-score game. The other INT was again in our own territory. We did allow a big play in OT to Martellus Bennett, but we likely wouldn't have been there without our turnovers.
  • Speaking of defensive touchdowns, we gave up 2 TDs in the New England example. 4 turnovers on the day in 3 INTs and 1 FL. We also turned it over on downs 3 separate times. We held Tom Brady to 14/26 for 172 and 1 TD, with 4.17 YPC on the ground, 300 yards of offense, which would've been 3rd best in the NFL by defensive averages. It doesn't show via the score itself, but again, by your own argument, it was a misleading statistic, and you've oddly leaned on it for support of our defensive struggles.
  • Here's where I have to ask: How well do you remember the Cincinnati game that ended our playoff chances? With the Dolphins losing, it was a win-and-in scenario. How do we respond? In a game wherein our defensive gifts us with 4 INTs throughout the contest, we manage to throw 3 INTs in the 4th quarter alone of a one-score game. One was a tipped pass at the LOS that wobbled into Chris Crockers hands that was taken into our own red zone. We allowed an FG off of that turnover. And the last one was a pick-six by Dre Kirkpatrick on a throw behind Torrey Smith's in-route. We also then failed to convert on 4th down at the end.
The latter was a debilitating memory, one that had a striking offensive collapse in a one-score game. But that was unfortunately par for the course. In the 6 examples given, our offense turned the ball over a combined 18 times, with 5 turnovers on down. 19 if you count the blocked punt against Denver. We also gave up 4 defensive TDs, which would've been 5 had Danny Trevathan not thrown away the ball before crossing the plane on a pick-six while in celebration mode. I get the idea that our defense could've persevered even more in some instances, but the odds that you're fighting when your offense is turning over the ball 4 times per game and allowing almost 1 defensive score per game in those examples are mind-numbing. Additionally, minus the defensive scores given up by our offense, both the 2012 and the 2013 defenses allowed exactly 20.5 per game, so your condescending implication of 2012 allowing less points in total was also inaccurate. The 2013 number is arguably more impressive considering that we were in the bottom bracket in defensive field position, unsurprising since we almost doubled the amount of turnovers from 2012. Even then, we gave up the 5th least yards per drive, which was up from the previous year. The defense played well in multiple examples above, arguably well enough to win. However, continuously pinning the blame on a defense that was holding its own despite the offense being ineffective through the air and being historically bad on the ground while turning the ball over at a comical rate may not be the best strategy. Especially given that the arguments for several games are seemingly based on shallow observations such as the final score. You also can't mention injuries and I.R. as a barrier for the 2012 defense and then casually glaze over the hurdles faced by the 2013 defense. Both choices are contradictory.

That being said, the fact that you chose to lean on the general PPG totals when comparing the two teams goes against your own logic. In practice, you've just used general numbers without in-depth knowledge of why the totals are what they are, which is literally no different than what you're accusing another member of doing. Now, yes, it was a satirical effort, but it was intended to provide factual statistical counters. And most of the examples (Specifically the allowed PPG, the defensive rushing totals, and the total yards allowed) go against the point you're supporting them with. In essence, it acts exactly what it's preaching against, which is intended, but then proceeds to do it incorrectly, which isn't. Speaking of which, who is encompassed in the folks that are laughing at @Adreme? That's an epitome of a blanket statement designed to invoke an exaggerated sense of credibility, which is an action you directly outlined as something you personally despise. I think it's best that we drop the "we" business. We can't assume that all of our own sentiments are speaking for anyone out of respect for other people's opinions. It's why I strive to use terms like personally, etc., but that's just me. I'm also by no means a fan of the personal jabs in the quoted post. That aside, in all honesty, I can't remember the last time I've seen a post unintentionally serve as its own antithesis to such a staggering degree. It's somewhat impressive.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The 2013 debacle can be directly attributed to a few things, none of which had anything to do with a “witch hunt” to purge the team of players Harbaugh or Ozzie didn’t like.

The Ravens were facing a daunting cap situation that forced some tough decisions, especially with Boldin and replacing a retiring Birk. Having to fill the voids left by others getting big FA deals kind of forced them to let Q walk and to depend upon Doss and Gradkowski(both failed miserably)as replacements. Add to that an inexplicably ineffective RR and the loss of Pitta and it’s not hard to see why there were major issues.

qV14A.gif