• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
yeah i remember seeing it and flacco never snapped the ball - the other team didnt even call a timeout either - he literally just had to get the ball snapped and throw it out to an uncovered receiver (i think it was buck allen split out wide)
I think they did end up calling a time out, but Kevin Byard was so confused before he went over. If there was any situational awareness, Flacco immediately snaps that ball and flings it out for the easy score.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Y

Yes, it tells that is a better coordinator than he is a head coach.

i mean he comes into those organisations with the understanding of the employers that he's going to elevate their defence and he initially did kind of with the jets (albeit they had some serious star power in that defence) but the bills defence actually regressed when he arrived and has got better since his departure - that's a negative impact if ever i saw one - youd at least expect it to stay the same - and i cant put all the blame just on rob ryan either

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think they did end up calling a time out, but Kevin Byard was so confused before he went over. If there was any situational awareness, Flacco immediately snaps that ball and flings it out for the easy score.

yeah it was so confusing the defence didnt even realise there was an uncovered guy for ages at which point the safeties immediately started screaming at the officials for a timeout - but yeah flacco just needed to get the ball snapped and literally could throw a hospital pass if he wanted - i mean he literally could have thrown it backwards and buck would have still scored he was that open

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
yeah it was so confusing the defence didnt even realise there was an uncovered guy for ages at which point the safeties immediately started screaming at the officials for a timeout - but yeah flacco just needed to get the ball snapped and literally could throw a hospital pass if he wanted
I remember just seeing that and sitting there like, "????????????????????????????????????????????????"

I mean, does Flacco really not scan the field before he snaps the ball? Is he just walking up to the line, looking just at the front seven, then snapping the ball?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Semi heated? How about FULL heated! Marty should've NEVER been retained after the end of last season. I totally agree that Flacco needs to improve (who wouldn't agree to this), but Harbs needs to go after this season for enabling our offense to regress to 2013 levels.

I heard the same from other Bills fans. Their defense was nasty prior to Rex's arrival. I believe Schwartz was their DC IIRC, who lo and behold, is doing nice things for the other birds that you love so much.
Yes he is doing well with them

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I remember just seeing that and sitting there like, "????????????????????????????????????????????????"

I mean, does Flacco really not scan the field before he snaps the ball? Is he just walking up to the line, looking just at the front seven, then snapping the ball?

like i legit think marty might have shrunk the field for him - he should still have that awareness to know what to do and do stuff and that was inexcusable but i think the attitude/narrowness has to come from the scheme/playcalling he's gotten used to at this point that dennis pitta is calling out... (and we've kind of come full circle here lol)

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
like i legit think marty might have shrunk the field for him - he should still have that awareness to know what to do and do stuff and that was inexcusable but i think the attitude/narrowness has to come from the scheme/playcalling he's gotten used to at this point that dennis pitta is calling out... (and we've kind of come full circle here lol)
But the fact of the matter is if Marty really is shrinking the play calling, there is a very good reason and given the regression in mechanics and inability to throw with anticipation or with good awareness is likely holding this offense's play calling back.

It's really a perfect storm to be a terrible offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But the fact of the matter is if Marty really is shrinking the play calling, there is a very good reason and given the regression in mechanics and inability to throw with anticipation or with good awareness is likely holding this offense's play calling back.

It's really a perfect storm to be a terrible offense.

It’s why I won’t necessarily blame it all on Marty but something has to change and we are stuck with flacco for at least one more year - so Marty should go (and he deserves to be gone too)

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It’s why I won’t necessarily blame it all on Marty but something has to change and we are stuck with flacco for at least one more year - so Marty should go (and he deserves to be gone too)
You know, the one thing that disappoints me the most is that the Ravens missed out on McVay. I was on his bandwagon from the beginning of the year and they really missed out.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/11/10/tale-of-the-tape/flacco-continues-to-leave-yards-on-field/

Great article and I think the points are valid. Really wish I had more access to the All-22 so I could see how and why we’re leaving yards on the field like this. This was quiet honestly Joe’s most damning game because the OL played great, receivers got separation and yet Joe held them back.

People tend to think our receivers are running simple drag, flats and out routes but the designed play most of the time is calling for our receivers to run 10 or 20 yards deep.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/11/10/tale-of-the-tape/flacco-continues-to-leave-yards-on-field/

Great article and I think the points are valid. Really wish I had more access to the All-22 so I could see how and why we’re leaving yards on the field like this. This was quiet honestly Joe’s most damning game because the OL played great, receivers got separation and yet Joe held them back.

People tend to think our receivers are running simple drag, flats and out routes but the designed play most of the time is calling for our receivers to run 10 or 20 yards deep.
I already posted this link...

Tru11

Practice Squad
link is showing nothing new TBH.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
we are stuck with flacco for at least one more year
I know we have to PAY Flacco for one more year but that doesn't mean we have to PLAY him next year. I don't understand why everyone assumes we have to start him.

He is rated as one of the worst QBs in the league this year ahead of a few rookies we may never see again after this season, and I think that's an accurate position for him. I really think we should try Woodrum, even if he ends up playing worse than any other QB in the league, the sad thing is that it wouldn't be much of a drop off from what we're getting out of Joe. And it could be better - at least he's mobile.

Even if we're not in postion to pick a rookie starter in the draft, we'd be better off playing a journeyman back up like Keenan or Fitzpatrick than the Flacco we've seen for the past 2 years. He looks terrified whenever he sees a rusher ever since the ACL, even though it wasn't a hit that injured him. I've never seen a QB play more afraid since the Jacksonville version of Gabbert.

We have to pay Joe but I'd have him as the overpriced backup until he shows some improvement.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we have to PAY Flacco for one more year but that doesn't mean we have to PLAY him next year. I don't understand why everyone assumes we have to start him.

He is rated as one of the worst QBs in the league this year ahead of a few rookies we may never see again after this season, and I think that's an accurate position for him. I really think we should try Woodrum, even if he ends up playing worse than any other QB in the league, the sad thing is that it wouldn't be much of a drop off from what we're getting out of Joe. And it could be better - at least he's mobile.

Even if we're not in postion to pick a rookie starter in the draft, we'd be better off playing a journeyman back up like Keenan or Fitzpatrick than the Flacco we've seen for the past 2 years. He looks terrified whenever he sees a rusher ever since the ACL, even though it wasn't a hit that injured him. I've never seen a QB play more afraid since the Jacksonville version of Gabbert.

We have to pay Joe but I'd have him as the overpriced backup until he shows some improvement.

if you read the article, he is not on the top of the list of concerns....this play calling however is making EVERYONE on this offense regress.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You know, the one thing that disappoints me the most is that the Ravens missed out on McVay. I was on his bandwagon from the beginning of the year and they really missed out.
Yeah. Mcvays don’t come around often. I’ve been a fan of his since he was a TEs coach.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
if you read the article, he is not on the top of the list of concerns....this play calling however is making EVERYONE on this offense regress.
I don't disagree. Marty has to go but the Flacco has used the checkdown too much his whole career and the article posted by city5 and bmore suggests that at least some of the checkdowns aren't Marty's fault.

I was digressinga little but I wanted pick up on the assumption that Flacco starts next year and ask, why?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah i remember seeing it and flacco never snapped the ball - the other team didnt even call a timeout either - he literally just had to get the ball snapped and throw it out to an uncovered receiver (i think it was buck allen split out wide)
Flacco never even looked to that side of the field. It makes you wonder how locked in, stagnant and predetermined Joe's mind remains to the disqualification of other options pre and post snap.