• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Odafe Jayson Oweh

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If OO had 5 sacks in 2020 he would have been picked in thr top 10. Him wreacking havoc but not compiling stats may have been the greatest possible thing for the Ravens. If he develops, we could be talking about a generational athlete turning into an incredible football player

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok watched a bit of Oweh and i see some indecisiveness in pass rush, idk if its Penn st not letting him go but i just dont see that get off at the line of scrimmage. He has flashes and still beats his man when he uses good technique or just with speed on the outside but he needs to take better angles to the QB as I see him tend to go a little too wide at times around the edge, id say it might be a lack of bend but his pro day he moved extremely well. If he doesnt have the best bend id like to see him turn speed to power more often to clean up those angles a bit when rushing outside. Also when he has a free run he tends to stand up to tall and gets knocked off balance from time to time. but these are things that can be coached up. Ive seen the flashes of him put everything together so i know he can do it.

Now having said that I see no issue with him being a day one impact player because he is natural vs the run. Thats what impressed me the most. Reads the pitch option well and has the speed to close on the RB, reads the RPO well and is very decisive. When hes unblocked he does a good job shuffling his feet to get in position and close the gap. Has great length to get off blocks and really impressed with his power. I think he needs to be more consistent with leverage cause when he has it hes unlockable it seems.

These are just initial impressions but im actually pretty impressed with how well he plays the run and understands what hes supposed to do in certain situations given how new he is to the game. His upside is through the roof but what i really like is that he can come in right away and be productive since hes so disruptive in the run game. I like him so far

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

if you wanna see just how fast he is at that size - go to 10:24 - offence actually scores on this play but watch oweh chasing from behind

31:08 would really love to see the all 22. Hes unblocked but doesnt stay stationary shuffles his feet while he reads the play and closes in a blink. Has the length to wrap up and make the tackle. He stops what shouldve been a 10-15 yard run to a short gain. Thats the kind of play you see turd ferguson get stuck flat footed

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
31:08 would really love to see the all 22. Hes unblocked but doesnt stay stationary shuffles his feet while he reads the play and closes in a blink. Has the length to wrap up and make the tackle. He stops what shouldve been a 10-15 yard run to a short gain. Thats the kind of play you see turd ferguson get stuck flat footed

Turd Ferguson straight from celebrity jeopardy SNL, I love it... thing with this guy is, he’s not lazy and he’s not immature. He works hard and wants to be great. Wink tells his rookies to go hunt, go make plays. Don’t worry so much about making mistakes, just learn from them. Winks mentality plus his aggressive nature will unlock the behemoth that lies within

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone else able to picture Wink banging his fists on the table wanting the guy?? Combine the potential of Oweh, Mad, Queen, Harrison, etc together and you have a dang good and athletic D

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not saying i wouldnt have taken others ahead of him - he was not in my top 31 so that was inevitable - but i do think he'll contribute in year 1
Not comparing the two, but do you see him having a Montez Sweat type of progression

rossihunter2

Staff Member

great play - he’s really not that raw in run defence at all - he’s clearly decently intuitive and fairly well coached in that phase to go along with his natural gifts

obviously the question ultimately will be about whether we can unlock that athleticism as a pass rusher - but it’s interesting that it was joe Hortiz and drew Wilkins (OLB coach) who we sent to his pro day - got to think Wilkins thinks he’s coachable

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Turd Ferguson straight from celebrity jeopardy SNL, I love it... thing with this guy is, he’s not lazy and he’s not immature. He works hard and wants to be great. Wink tells his rookies to go hunt, go make plays. Don’t worry so much about making mistakes, just learn from them. Winks mentality plus his aggressive nature will unlock the behemoth that lies within

It’s definitely a philosophy that’s helpful for the front office and scouts because it means that we can get guys who attack and have athleticism and trust the coaches and wink to either coach up their weaknesses or put them in positions to succeed and be impactful

winks happy to let guys make mistakes as long as they make them at 100mph

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone know the family ethnicity of Oweh? Just curious as I think the name is pretty cool

Edit: his family is Nigerian

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
great play - he’s really not that raw in run defence at all - he’s clearly decently intuitive and fairly well coached in that phase to go along with his natural gifts

obviously the question ultimately will be about whether we can unlock that athleticism as a pass rusher - but it’s interesting that it was joe Hortiz and drew Wilkins (OLB coach) who we sent to his pro day - got to think Wilkins thinks he’s coachable
hes such a tough study at times cause of how Penn St used him and how bad they actually were in 2020. You see improvements in the run game from 2019 but so few pass rush opportunities outside that you almost have to project what he can do in your scheme. I saw him line up a ton at 5tech and we wont ever ask him to do that and they ask him to stunt inside between gaurd and tackle which makes no sense to me. When he does get one on one opportunities to win outside i see some good hand usage. When he feels hands on him he usually tries to swat them away especially when hes allowed to try to win outside, which he hardly had any opportunities to last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
hes such a tough study at times cause of how Penn St used him and how bad they actually were in 2020. You see improvements in the run game from 2019 but so few pass rush opportunities outside that you almost have to project what he can do in your scheme. I saw him line up a ton at 5tech and we wont ever ask him to do that and they ask him to stunt inside between gaurd and tackle which makes no sense to me. When he does get one on one opportunities to win outside i see some good hand usage. When he feels hands on him he usually tries to swat them away especially when hes allowed to try to win outside, which he hardly had any opportunities to last year.

I think we’ll use him a ton on stunts tbf - just ask him to be the force player and cause havoc

the hand usage is interesting because I don’t think he knows what to do with them at the beginning of his rush (and has no plan) but he’s very reactive and intuitive at the top of the rush to get hands off

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its funny that he still managed to get 1st team All Big 10 honors last year as well with no sacks. The craziest thing for me was that he only started playing football his Junior year of Highschool and still managed to be a top 100 recruit in the country according to all outlets ive seen after just 2 years. Espn had him as the 94th ranked player for reference sake

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we’ll use him a ton on stunts tbf - just ask him to be the force player and cause havoc

the hand usage is interesting because I don’t think he knows what to do with them at the beginning of his rush (and has no plan) but he’s very reactive and intuitive at the top of the rush to get hands off
i think hed be better at stunts if he got some momentum going, sometimes i see him just kinda lean into the blocks and it just looks awkward as hell lol. Hes much more natural using his hands when he has space around him it seems. But ya hes hardly the first to get hands on you especially in the pass game.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta understand how suckass the Penn St team was last year with the opt outs. Look at LSU. You'd think he would improve on his sack totals but when more attention is drawn your way..... He's still unrefined but the speed man. This guy is gonna be a chaser and is fast enough to catch a RB from the backside and a fast QB thats trying to evade. He's definitely gonna be converted to a standup 3-4 OLB and has to work on his moves but Wink specializes in OLB's and Rex's twin knows a lot about LB play and with a proper offseason a lot of kinks can be worked out. Already very solid in run defense by holding the edge very reminiscent of Suggs. With the speed could also be used in coverage since we all know Wink's disguises. Had to sleep on this pick cuz I couldn't believe we didn't pick Jenkins or Humphreys but when it comes to edge in this draft it falls off the cliff the deeper you go but oline is pretty damn deep and we're gonna sign a veteran OT.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta understand how suckass the Penn St team was last year with the opt outs. Look at LSU. You'd think he would improve on his sack totals but when more attention is drawn your way..... He's still unrefined but the speed man. This guy is gonna be a chaser and is fast enough to catch a RB from the backside and a fast QB thats trying to evade. He's definitely gonna be converted to a standup 3-4 OLB and has to work on his moves but Wink specializes in OLB's and Rex's twin knows a lot about LB play and with a proper offseason a lot of kinks can be worked out. Already very solid in run defense by holding the edge very reminiscent of Suggs. With the speed could also be used in coverage since we all know Wink's disguises. Had to sleep on this pick cuz I couldn't believe we didn't pick Jenkins or Humphreys but when it comes to edge in this draft it falls off the cliff the deeper you go but oline is pretty damn deep and we're gonna sign a veteran OT.
Thats one major thing i kept noticing while watching his 2020 tape....the damn score. They were getting blown out damn near every game lol. Honestly felt bad. It really took away a lot of pass rush opportunities in an already shortened season