• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

if our young corners are healthy and looking good early in the year and jimmy may well not be ready to start the year id be half tempted to leave him on i/r and bring him back towards the end of the season just so he can get a couple of games to ease his way back and then be there for the end of the season...
Jimmy is a proven stud and when healthy is a flat out All-Pro caliber CB. I just can't live with putting him on IR, If he's ready to return then he should be able to come back. He's too important not to have out there. I can understand if he's not ready to go but if he is then he has to be on the field.

Yeah it’s possible, but Carr has really dropped off as of late. He had a pretty good game this week, but prior to the first half of the season had been dropping off.
He's been up and down to me. When he's on he's a great CB, but when he's off he kinda can be a liability. I think he's a solid CB and he stays healthy. I think it's a very tough call because you get $4M in cap savings and I don't know if that's worth letting go of Carr who again, is solid.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's been up and down to me. When he's on he's a great CB, but when he's off he kinda can be a liability. I think he's a solid CB and he stays healthy. I think it's a very tough call because you get $4M in cap savings and I don't know if that's worth letting go of Carr who again, is solid.

i think about how we replace that lost player - will we be able to get a player as good as carr or nearly as good as carr for that $4mill that we save by cutting him - and if not i have no problem keeping him at all - i dont mind playing him 6 mill to mostly play off the bench / spell guys when they get tired / start the season while jimmy continues to rehab etc. and we can afford to pay him that money because we've got so many dbs on cheap rookie contracts

Tank

Hall of Famer
i think about how we replace that lost player - will we be able to get a player as good as carr or nearly as good as carr for that $4mill that we save by cutting him - and if not i have no problem keeping him at all - i dont mind playing him 6 mill to mostly play off the bench / spell guys when they get tired / start the season while jimmy continues to rehab etc. and we can afford to pay him that money because we've got so many dbs on cheap rookie contracts
I guess it depends upon the cap situation as a whole, but I see no other reason they would cut him. Who knows when Smith returns, what his level of play would be or how long he would last. Carr’s veteran presence is valuable to the squad.

I understand that but the money has to come from somewhere. The best way to replace a player is always by relying on the next guy to step up for you. It's an unfortunate circumstance but its something we have been forced to do time from time. Keeping Carr might be a luxury given that what is at WR is a waste land. Maclin is going to get cut if he keeps this up and there's no guarantee Wallace returns. At this point the Ravens badly need talent and depth at the WR.

It's a tough call, I think he stays since we probably have plans to draft a receiver highly but I wouldn't say he's a lock by any means. I think he stays but again, it's just tough.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wanna keep Carr, no question. Secondary depth is crucial and he's still playing at a relatively solid starting level. He's been better than any #2 we've had since samari rolle(Webb in 2011 was a 1 for the most part). I don't want a committee of slot corners at our 2 spot and hoping that one of them fills the bill. If we have Humphrey and jimmy then we have our top 2, if one is hurt we have Carr which is an excellent position to be in considering how often our cbs get hurt. Then you have canady who has played a lot of nickel but has a build for the perimeter, then after that it's a bunch of nickel backs.

Speaking of nickels, god damn I wish we had Tavon young vs the steelers.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I guess it depends upon the cap situation as a whole, but I see no other reason they would cut him. Who knows when Smith returns, what his level of play would be or how long he would last. Carr’s veteran presence is valuable to the squad.
This is a very true statement. Although I believe he will be ready for training camp or preseason, he most likely won’t be “Jimmy” until he’s comfortable. It will be in his head fir a bit, before he gets comfortable.

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is a very true statement. Although I believe he will be ready for training camp or preseason, he most likely won’t be “Jimmy” until he’s comfortable. It will be in his head fir a bit, before he gets comfortable.
Given his history of injuries and games missed I think the organization has already taken the approach that it's great when he's here, but we're not banking on Jimmy Smith at CB. It would seem that Carr is an integral part of that plan.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I agree the veteran presence is huge but I could see the Ravens keeping Webb over Carr because Webb comes cheaper than Carr. Definitely not as solid in coverage but it saves the Ravens cap and Webb brings that veteran presence, as well as versatility at CB and S.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree the veteran presence is huge but I could see the Ravens keeping Webb over Carr because Webb comes cheaper than Carr. Definitely not as solid in coverage but it saves the Ravens cap and Webb brings that veteran presence, as well as versatility at CB and S.
Webb has definitely lost a step or two. Yes he’s a fan favorite and all, but Carr is the better boundary corner. I team set his contract up with team options in each year for a reason.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

webby's not a corner anymore to be honest and he's most definitely not an outside corner - webby's more expendable than carr by some distance - our deepest corner spot is at the slot where webby could (and should) go into next offseason as the 4th slot corner and maybe the 3rd (or 4th) safety whereas carr would be an incumbent starter on the outside until jimmy's comfortable...

i really doubt we'll be able to get comparable outside corner play for cheaper than carr without spending another high pick on a db (which would be more debilitating to an offensive rebuild than just holding onto carr's option)

Tank

Hall of Famer
Has there been any further info on Smith’s PED suspension? Did he say what he was using?

Tank

Hall of Famer
now that there was no appeal and little to no fanfare because he was injured anyway i doubt its in anyone's interest to let us know lol - the nfl rarely (if ever) discloses the substances that show up in a failed test
Didn’t the other guys that were busted come out themselves and say what they were using? Thinking about Boyle and Ngata here. You would think Jimmy would want to clear himself, or at least try to dispel the thought it was steroids or something similar.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
As far as canady and hill, they played well in preseason but havent showed me anything in reg season that would allow me have any faith in them.