• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not using it to bash them at all. Bouye had one good season last year with Houston but before that was unknown. Houston had a solid pass rush last season. Ramsey is an athletic freak and probably the most athletic DB in the league. I just feel like each have not shown enough to make a solid statement that yes these guys are the top in the league. They are some of the best this season I am okay saying that but Jimmy has been one of the most consistent cornerbacks when healthy after his 3rd season and that has held up for awhile now.

bouye has been good for about 4 years but never elite - you could definitely argue that he is elevated by the front 7 in front of him
jalen ramsey however was a top 10 corner last year too as a rookie without the sacksonville front 7 of this year - i think ramsey is quite clearly all ready an upper eschelon/top drawer/elite (pick your moniker) corner

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't even know why the topic of shadowing would be approached. Malcolm Butler doesn't do it (although, he's fallen off lately), Bouye and Ramsey don't do it, Rhodes doesn't do it, Norman doesn't do it, Trufant doesn't do it, Peters doesn't do it. Keep chiming in with names, but not many do it. Off the top of my head, Peterson does it, Slay may do it, and Claiborne does it. Sherman did in the past; not sure if he did this year or not.

So I mean, we may have like five or six guys in the NFL that do it, tops, and even then, the number is more likely two or three. Shadowing isn't even slightly a requirement to be elite.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't even know why the topic of shadowing would be approached. Malcolm Butler doesn't do it (although, he's fallen off lately), Bouye and Ramsey don't do it, Rhodes doesn't do it, Norman doesn't do it, Trufant doesn't do it, Peters doesn't do it. Keep chiming in with names, but not many do it. Off the top of my head, Peterson does it, Slay may do it, and Claiborne does it. Sherman did in the past; not sure if he did this year or not.

So I mean, we may have like five or six guys in the NFL that do it, tops, and even then, the number is more likely two or three. Shadowing isn't even slightly a requirement to be elite.
Actually Sherman used to not shadow, but believe he is shadowing now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Actually Sherman used to not shadow, but believe he is shadowing now.

Ok I have a couple of changes for you both based off my observations and reports around the league etc:

Sherman did shadow for most of one season but has since gone back to staying on one side of the field - the only time you’re ever likely to see Sherman shadow at all now is if the rest of the legion of boom is out (and even then there’s no guarantee)

And while they don’t do it all the time, happen Ramsey (and therefore bouye) actually shadows in about half his games for well over 3/4 of his snaps in those games

Norman also does it on a matchup basis

I have a feeling chris Harris jr also does it but he also plays the slot which naturally means you’re likely to shadow more

Essentially though the point is similar: shadowing is no longer the go to defensive game plan for a cornerback - very few teams do it on a consistent basis and many don’t do it at all - and it’s not necessarily a better defensive system anyway and it’s definitely more difficult to run because of how it puts your 2nd outside corner in a tough spot

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Filmstudy has Jimmy as allowing 105 yards on four catches, but I think that's a bit harsh. 34 of those yards came on a play where Jimmy was visibly frustrated at Jefferson for not covering Hopkins across the middle of the field. He jumped up and down in frustration as Hopkins streaked across the middle of the field for a wide open catch.

There was also the first catch he allowed where Hopkins somehow caught the ball on the sideline with Jimmy in absurdly tight coverage.

Overall, I think I'd say three catches for 71 yards and two penalties (one declined). Obviously not a great night from Jimmy by any stretch, but I'm beginning to worry about Jimmy's health. He has hardly practiced these past two weeks and the team took it slow with Humphrey due to a leg injury. Why not take it slow with Jimmy again here soon? On the deep ball to Hopkins (it was like 37 yards), Jimmy just did not look comfortable whatsoever.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Filmstudy has Jimmy as allowing 105 yards on four catches, but I think that's a bit harsh. 34 of those yards came on a play where Jimmy was visibly frustrated at Jefferson for not covering Hopkins across the middle of the field. He jumped up and down in frustration as Hopkins streaked across the middle of the field for a wide open catch.

There was also the first catch he allowed where Hopkins somehow caught the ball on the sideline with Jimmy in absurdly tight coverage.

Overall, I think I'd say three catches for 71 yards and two penalties (one declined). Obviously not a great night from Jimmy by any stretch, but I'm beginning to worry about Jimmy's health. He has hardly practiced these past two weeks and the team took it slow with Humphrey due to a leg injury. Why not take it slow with Jimmy again here soon? On the deep ball to Hopkins (it was like 37 yards), Jimmy just did not look comfortable whatsoever.
PFF elite signature stats has him down for 5 receptions 108 yards

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Let’s hope it does get adjusted
I mean, even if it doesn't, I'm not too worried about it because Jimmy has played exceedingly well the rest of the season. He got singled up with Hopkins for most of the game and that's not something most players can say. I mean, he was literally playing zero coverage for most of those plays. Kinda crazy that the Ravens refused to shade help over the top...

Anyway, what was his grade for the game and where does it put his overall grade for the season?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so even in injury jimmy had such a good season that he's still unbelievable well graded:

View attachment 375

note that jalen ramsey is not on that list anymore either - also interesting (non-jimmy related) but no cb has ever had a passer rating under 30 for a season - AJ Bouye is 2 games away from doing that - just a reminder that throwing the ball into the ground on every snap gives a passer rating of 39.6... there has been some unbelievable (probably historic) level of corner play this year

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
so even in injury jimmy had such a good season that he's still unbelievable well graded:

View attachment 375

note that jalen ramsey is not on that list anymore either - also interesting (non-jimmy related) but no cb has ever had a passer rating under 30 for a season - AJ Bouye is 2 games away from doing that - just a reminder that throwing the ball into the ground on every snap gives a passer rating of 39.6... there has been some unbelievable (probably historic) level of corner play this year
sad thing is ramsey gets all the attention cause he is more entertaining.

I hope that when Jimmy comes back he's in the form of what we saw of him in the 2016 season. Was he elite? No, but he was pretty damn good and we fell apart without him. I just hope that he can at least play on that level because it's very tough to play after three season ending injuries, granted they're different but a torn Achilles is nothing easy to return from. Suggs and Smith Sr. looked great in their returns from it, I just hope Jimmy has that same luck and for the love of god please be here for at least the end of the season/playoffs.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I hope that when Jimmy comes back he's in the form of what we saw of him in the 2016 season. Was he elite? No, but he was pretty damn good and we fell apart without him. I just hope that he can at least play on that level because it's very tough to play after three season ending injuries, granted they're different but a torn Achilles is nothing easy to return from. Suggs and Smith Sr. looked great in their returns from it, I just hope Jimmy has that same luck and for the love of god please be here for at least the end of the season/playoffs.
You are wrong. He was definitely elite.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if our young corners are healthy and looking good early in the year and jimmy may well not be ready to start the year id be half tempted to leave him on i/r and bring him back towards the end of the season just so he can get a couple of games to ease his way back and then be there for the end of the season...

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
if our young corners are healthy and looking good early in the year and jimmy may well not be ready to start the year id be half tempted to leave him on i/r and bring him back towards the end of the season just so he can get a couple of games to ease his way back and then be there for the end of the season...
Maybe a PUP candidate?

You are wrong. He was definitely elite.
He was close to elite but his level of play this season was the very definition of elite. I think there's a big difference in his play this year to last year. Last year he did give up a few TDs and was not the play-maker he was this year. While we could argue about how he did not allow big plays or one of the lowest catch per reception, his play this year truly defines elite. He's made huge leaps in nearly every statistical category.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
i can definitely see that given that it may well be touch and go for him to be available week 1 anyway given how late in the year the tear happened
If Humphrey, Young, Canady, and Hill look good during the summer, I wouldn't want to rush Jimmy back and risk another injury.