• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Yeah, it seems like he plays one side of the field.

Jimmy is just super-underrated and it might take a while for him to get the recognition he deserves. Hopefully more picks make the case, it's certainly helping Kevin Byard.

As I believe Truth pointed out Jimmy doesn't do that dangerous shadowing one on one with marquee Wide Receivers for a game. Nor lock down half the yard with no help regardless what dangerous Receiver enters his territory. And he doesn't play with that agressive attitude that you throw his way he is taking the ball for throwing at him. Which is taking chances and dangerous as well. As a result he doesn't get the recognition of top5 cornerbacks.

Ravens don't play a dangerous cover scheme that exposes its cornerbacks in slugfests. However for all of Dean Pees criticism the ravens run a very very effective scheme!! That asks all the players to be competent. And the scheme has resulted in Carr having one of his better years of his career at 30+or so. And Jimmy plays it very very well!! Very impressively. Only thing missing is the picks that come from the wreckless confidence it takes to get the picks. I do agree he should get a pro bowl invite for how well he plays his system. And some recognition for smart effective efficient play. And the skill and mental stability to follow and execute an effective plan and understanding it is better for the teams overall success. while refraining from selfish wreckless chances. Jimmy Smith and the ravens cornerbacks and scheme should get some recognition. But fans like the dangerous man up slugfests and going for picks even when it is borderlines stupid. that exposes cornerbacks chins to embarrassing KO's. Kinda like a slick cautious boxer that is 30-0 not getting the hype of a boxer 30-0 winning barbaric exciting slugfests.lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As I believe Truth pointed out Jimmy doesn't do that dangerous shadowing one on one with marquee Wide Receivers for a game. Nor lock down half the yard with no help regardless what dangerous Receiver enters his territory. And he doesn't play with that agressive attitude that you throw his way he is taking the ball for throwing at him. Which is taking chances and dangerous as well. As a result he doesn't get the recognition of top5 cornerbacks.

Ravens don't play a dangerous cover scheme that exposes its cornerbacks in slugfests. However for all of Dean Pees criticism the ravens run a very very effective scheme!! That asks all the players to be competent. And the scheme has resulted in Carr having one of his better years of his career at 30+or so. And Jimmy plays it very very well!! Very impressively. Only thing missing is the picks that come from the wreckless confidence it takes to get the picks. I do agree he should get a pro bowl invite for how well he plays his system. And some recognition for smart effective efficient play. And the skill and mental stability to follow and execute an effective plan and understanding it is better for the teams overall success. while refraining from selfish wreckless chances. Jimmy Smith and the ravens cornerbacks and scheme should get some recognition. But fans like the dangerous man up slugfests and going for picks even when it is borderlines stupid. that exposes cornerbacks chins to embarrassing KO's. Kinda like a slick cautious boxer that is 30-0 not getting the hype of a boxer 30-0 winning barbaric exciting slugfests.lol

umm what the hell are you talking about? jimmy gets minimal help on his side of the field and doesnt shadow because it puts a more difficult load on the number 2 (and slot) corner... he has shadowed effectively before when asked to and did very well there too so its not a case of not shadowing its just that the defence as a whole is more effective by locking down the field - if anything id say shadowing is a less effective concept now - pat peterson is the only elite cb who does follow and while it gives him a couple more opportunities for picks it also leaves him liable to get lost in trail coverage every now and then for a big play

in terms of jimmy all of the big plays on his side of the field were in fact when he was supposed to be relying on a safety so its not like safety help is actually helping him and in fact on his most recent int he took on the responsibility of two dbs by reading the qb and stepping forward - cobb had beaten canady in coverage but jimmy got involved and made a pick when he wasnt expected to - he (sorta) gambled (albeit when hes that good at reading the qb its not really a gamble at all)

and on the subject of ints, i think you'll find that jimmy is only 1 int behind the leader this year (who just happened to have just played nate peterman... and the other int leader plays opposite jalen ramsey with safety help...) so to argue that jimmy isnt a threat to opposing qbs is crazy - this doesnt even take into account how he took a fumble recovery to the endzone for 6 and how opposing qbs dont throw to his side because they are that scared of him...

and i dont think the ravens are lacking for picks in their "not dangerous cover scheme" given that they are the leader in both picks and turnovers overall this year - and top 10 in sacks too

i cant believe how much you hate on our cbs - jimmy is playing at a higher level than any corner in the league this year, marlon is playing at a high level for a rookie (only marshon lattimore and tredavious white have played at the same or higher level this year), brandon carr had 3 picks and for the first part of the year was playing legitimately like a great number 2 corner - yes he got beaten by the occasional deep ball from gambling (something you seem to want jimmy to do more for no apparent reason...) but he got 3 picks (same as jimmy)

My worry though about that though is that while Humphrey played great on Sunday, he did not play as great as his numbers show. Twice by my count he was beat deep and a better QB hits those throws but fortunately we did not play against one of those.
Film study notes him being beaten deep once.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
umm what the hell are you talking about? jimmy gets minimal help on his side of the field and doesnt shadow because it puts a more difficult load on the number 2 (and slot) corner... he has shadowed effectively before when asked to and did very well there too so its not a case of not shadowing its just that the defence as a whole is more effective by locking down the field - if anything id say shadowing is a less effective concept now - pat peterson is the only elite cb who does follow and while it gives him a couple more opportunities for picks it also leaves him liable to get lost in trail coverage every now and then for a big play

in terms of jimmy all of the big plays on his side of the field were in fact when he was supposed to be relying on a safety so its not like safety help is actually helping him and in fact on his most recent int he took on the responsibility of two dbs by reading the qb and stepping forward - cobb had beaten canady in coverage but jimmy got involved and made a pick when he wasnt expected to - he (sorta) gambled (albeit when hes that good at reading the qb its not really a gamble at all)

and on the subject of ints, i think you'll find that jimmy is only 1 int behind the leader this year (who just happened to have just played nate peterman... and the other int leader plays opposite jalen ramsey with safety help...) so to argue that jimmy isnt a threat to opposing qbs is crazy - this doesnt even take into account how he took a fumble recovery to the endzone for 6 and how opposing qbs dont throw to his side because they are that scared of him...

and i dont think the ravens are lacking for picks in their "not dangerous cover scheme" given that they are the leader in both picks and turnovers overall this year - and top 10 in sacks too

i cant believe how much you hate on our cbs - jimmy is playing at a higher level than any corner in the league this year, marlon is playing at a high level for a rookie (only marshon lattimore and tredavious white have played at the same or higher level this year), brandon carr had 3 picks and for the first part of the year was playing legitimately like a great number 2 corner - yes he got beaten by the occasional deep ball from gambling (something you seem to want jimmy to do more for no apparent reason...) but he got 3 picks (same as jimmy)

Dude I know people with all22. Some are ravens fans. Somevlive in different cities liking different teams. People that put their fandom aside not looking for hero's and only analyze. And everybody tells the same thing!! Jimmy doesn't shadow great receivers. And he doesn't lock down half the grid regardless of who enters his zone. You can ask our own truth and you can ask Filmstudy. As a matter of fact Truth even cleared up the misconception around here that he shadowed Beckham. Cuz everybody around here did have that misconception. Cuz the people I knew with All22 were saying no he didn't shadow Beckham. And when Truth cleared that up. What he posted lined up exactly with what everybody was saying.

The ravens should be getting picks. It's a good system with competent players. I'm not hating on him. I thought he showed as much potential as Peterson. But he doesn't do what Peterson, Ramsey and even sometimes Josh Norman does. Norman made that name in 2015 cuz he was shadowing all year. And even slugged it out with Beckham. It would be more interesting if Jimmy went toe to toe with Beckham Brown Jones and Richardson whom I think is as hard to cover as any receiver in the league. But what the Defense is doing is very effective and Jimmy is playing his role to an all pro level. But his role isn't as exciting as his top10 peers. Tavon Young has that combative style to want to shadow the elite slots. I like his style and he is my favorite cornerback on the ravens and around the league.

On a side note of Richardson being hard to cover. Why is there this misconception that Wilson has no help?? He has one of the best unit of weapons around the league. Graham Richardson Lockett to tandem with Baldwin, a good receiver he played his complete career with and should have chemistry. Lockett is as hard to cover as Jamison Crowder. If anything he should be more consistent with a unit of weapons like that. Give ravens any ONE of Graham Richardson and Lockett and he would be the talk of the town!!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dude I know people with all22. Some are ravens fans. Somevlive in different cities liking different teams. People that put their fandom aside not looking for hero's and only analyze. And everybody tells the same thing!! Jimmy doesn't shadow great receivers. And he doesn't lock down half the grid regardless of who enters his zone. You can ask our own truth and you can ask Filmstudy. As a matter of fact Truth even cleared up the misconception around here that he shadowed Beckham. Cuz everybody around here did have that misconception. Cuz the people I knew with All22 were saying no he didn't shadow Beckham. And when Truth cleared that up. What he posted lined up exactly with what everybody was saying.

The ravens should be getting picks. It's a good system with competent players. I'm not hating on him. I thought he showed as much potential as Peterson. But he doesn't do what Peterson, Ramsey and even sometimes Josh Norman does. Norman made that name in 2015 cuz he was shadowing all year. And even slugged it out with Beckham. It would be more interesting if Jimmy went toe to toe with Beckham Brown Jones and Richardson whom I think is as hard to cover as any receiver in the league. But what the Defense is doing is very effective and Jimmy is playing his role to an all pro level. But his role isn't as exciting as his top10 peers. Tavon Young has that combative style to want to shadow the elite slots. I like his style and he is my favorite cornerback on the ravens and around the league.

On a side note of Richardson being hard to cover. Why is there this misconception that Wilson has no help?? He has one of the best unit of weapons around the league. Graham Richardson Lockett to tandem with Baldwin, a good receiver he played his complete career with and should have chemistry. Lockett is as hard to cover as Jamison Crowder. If anything he should be more consistent with a unit of weapons like that. Give ravens any ONE of Graham Richardson and Lockett and he would be the talk of the town!!

• i never said jimmy shadows - i said he has shadowed in the past and been effective
  • i dunno why you're talking about beckham coz i never brought that up - in fact that's a good example of how important jimmy smith is - he locks down one side of the field which allows the ravens to have a deep safety err to the other side - we couldnt do that against the giants when he went down last year which left OBJ 1v1 in man coverage vs tavon young in the slot who slipped and there was no safety valve - but at no point did anyone ever say that jimmy shadowed beckham but that he was incredibly important in locking OBJ up until jimmy left the field
  • it might be more interesting for you if jimmy followed beckham brown and jones around the field but with jimmy smith on the field i dont remember the last time any of those "elite" receivers had big days against the ravens...
  • and im not sure what you mean by not exciting?? that's like saying richard sherman's not an exciting corner because he stays on his side of the field... and i dont think anyone in the league thinks of richard sherman as anything but exciting
  • tavon young isnt more combative than jimmy, he was just thrown at more last year because teams have been avoiding jimmy's side of the field for the last 3-4 years when he's on the field
  • and you'll notice something important about those corners who you say are more exciting this year: josh norman and pat peterson have both been liable to giving up big plays and tds this year because their shadowing of the receivers means they sometimes leach bigger plays - of those 3 only jalen ramsey has been at or close to jimmy's level

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Larry fitz just called ramsey the best cornerback in NFL and i agree. It was either him or rhodes and after thanksgiving, i got Ramsey 1st , then pat p, norman, jimmy then rhodes

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Ramsey and Bouye are good don't get me wrong but their pass rush has been phenomenal in Jacksonville. I really don't want to judge how good they are at cornerback until they play on a defense that isn't getting 10 sacks some games.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Ramsey and Bouye are good don't get me wrong but their pass rush has been phenomenal in Jacksonville. I really don't want to judge how good they are at cornerback until they play on a defense that isn't getting 10 sacks some games.
Goes both ways - when DBs cover well, pass rush has time to finish.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Ramsey is phenomenal and should not be dinged because of a pass rush and Bouye looked amazing on Houston last year, too, so he isn't a one year wonder.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
  • i never said jimmy shadows - i said he has shadowed in the past and been effective
  • i dunno why you're talking about beckham coz i never brought that up - in fact that's a good example of how important jimmy smith is - he locks down one side of the field which allows the ravens to have a deep safety err to the other side - we couldnt do that against the giants when he went down last year which left OBJ 1v1 in man coverage vs tavon young in the slot who slipped and there was no safety valve - but at no point did anyone ever say that jimmy shadowed beckham but that he was incredibly important in locking OBJ up until jimmy left the field
  • it might be more interesting for you if jimmy followed beckham brown and jones around the field but with jimmy smith on the field i dont remember the last time any of those "elite" receivers had big days against the ravens...
  • and im not sure what you mean by not exciting?? that's like saying richard sherman's not an exciting corner because he stays on his side of the field... and i dont think anyone in the league thinks of richard sherman as anything but exciting
  • tavon young isnt more combative than jimmy, he was just thrown at more last year because teams have been avoiding jimmy's side of the field for the last 3-4 years when he's on the field
  • and you'll notice something important about those corners who you say are more exciting this year: josh norman and pat peterson have both been liable to giving up big plays and tds this year because their shadowing of the receivers means they sometimes leach bigger plays - of those 3 only jalen ramsey has been at or close to jimmy's level

When Jimmy shadowed in 2015 he was roasted. Yeah the injury but he became effective when the current scheme was implemented. Nearly everybody around this board was talking about the receivers Jimmy shut down. There was a lot of talk about him shadowing Beckham and shutting him down. I didn't see you anybody else chiming in and laying out how the ravens really covered Beckham. Jimmy doesn't shadow elite WRs man up. Thus doesn't get the recognition of his peers. And that seems to offend you and many members around here. You said yourself Jimmy isn't a shutdown corner that shadows elite WRs every week. So what are you and everybody getting so defensive about?? If you wanna continue this?? I will send an email to Filmstudy to post the record straight on Jimmy's role and the scheme.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
When Jimmy shadowed in 2015 he was roasted. Yeah the injury but he became effective when the current scheme was implemented. Nearly everybody around this board was talking about the receivers Jimmy shut down. There was a lot of talk about him shadowing Beckham and shutting him down. I didn't see you anybody else chiming in and laying out how the ravens really covered Beckham. Jimmy doesn't shadow elite WRs man up. Thus doesn't get the recognition of his peers. And that seems to offend you and many members around here. You said yourself Jimmy isn't a shutdown corner that shadows elite WRs every week. So what are you and everybody getting so defensive about?? If you wanna continue this?? I will send an email to Filmstudy to post the record straight on Jimmy's role and the scheme.
But he didn't shadow in 2015...?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1. he didnt shadow in 2015, he never shadowed full time.
2. he was recovering from his lisfranc in 2015 and was clearly hampered by it.
3. kendrick lewis was our starting FS and hill/elam split at SS as injury dictated.

the injury slowed him, as a lisfranc ALWAYS does, its really a major injury, and he needed safety help, but so did the other side of the field, and the safety help was garbage.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I’m just glad he’s staying on the field, playing well and earning some of that fat salary he’s been getting the last 3 years.
Keep it up please!

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Ramsey is phenomenal and should not be dinged because of a pass rush and Bouye looked amazing on Houston last year, too, so he isn't a one year wonder.
I'm not using it to bash them at all. Bouye had one good season last year with Houston but before that was unknown. Houston had a solid pass rush last season. Ramsey is an athletic freak and probably the most athletic DB in the league. I just feel like each have not shown enough to make a solid statement that yes these guys are the top in the league. They are some of the best this season I am okay saying that but Jimmy has been one of the most consistent cornerbacks when healthy after his 3rd season and that has held up for awhile now.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I'm not using it to bash them at all. Bouye had one good season last year with Houston but before that was unknown. Houston had a solid pass rush last season. Ramsey is an athletic freak and probably the most athletic DB in the league. I just feel like each have not shown enough to make a solid statement that yes these guys are the top in the league. They are some of the best this season I am okay saying that but Jimmy has been one of the most consistent cornerbacks when healthy after his 3rd season and that has held up for awhile now.
Tbh ramsey and bouye has showed the same amount of ability as jimmy. 2 yrs straight for both ramsey and bouye. Jimmy has really only player teo healthy full seasons from what i recall.

Tru11

Practice Squad

bouye has been pretty good for 4 seasons now though.
his rookie season as a UDFA he got injured early on.
after that he was good and has only gotten better.

ramsey has been lights out since being drafted last season.

both have been more consistent then jimmy, pretty much cause of the injuries jimmy had.