• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
There were people in our secondary thread arguing about how Jimmy was not a top 5 corner and not even a top 10 corner.

Those people turned out to be right. He is better than that, he is top 1 this year, best in the NFL and we are lucky to have him and we have seen what happens when we don't

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There were people in our secondary thread arguing about how Jimmy was not a top 5 corner and not even a top 10 corner.

Those people turned out to be right. He is better than that, he is top 1 this year, best in the NFL and we are lucky to have him and we have seen what happens when we don't
No question. Best corner in the nfl to date

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know, crazy that he’s still playing so well. What makes me nervous is Sherman was also playing wiry Achilles tendinitis

2 differences.

1. We are giving him a lot of days off to rest.

2. He is getting targetted so rarely that he is at far less risk of getting hurt.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
2 differences.

2. He is getting targetted so rarely that he is at far less risk of getting hurt.
Well let’s pray he doesn’t get hurt. Do we know that Sherman wasn’t getting days off?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2 differences.

Well let’s pray he doesn’t get hurt. Do we know that Sherman wasn’t getting days off?

another major difference is that we give him entire drives of rest
and he also has confidence in his backup so he can take a break from the game if he feels like its too painful/feels wrong

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
another major difference is that we give him entire drives of rest
and he also has confidence in his backup so he can take a break from the game if he feels like its too painful/feels wrong
Yes tha is very true. We can thank Humphrey for that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes tha is very true. We can thank Humphrey for that

i genuinely believe that part of the problem in previous years is that he's forced to play through injuries (not literally forced but mentally he knows he has to) even when he's uncomfortable so he exacerbates the injury

so getting a great rookie corner and tavon and canady in their 2nd years not only adds great depth but it also keeps jimmy healthier - so it literally improves both outside corner spots

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i genuinely believe that part of the problem in previous years is that he's forced to play through injuries (not literally forced but mentally he knows he has to) even when he's uncomfortable so he exacerbates the injury

so getting a great rookie corner and tavon and canady in their 2nd years not only adds great depth but it also keeps jimmy healthier - so it literally improves both outside corner spots
Well said. Let’s not forget Jaylen Hill. Even though he is an udfa, I believe he has some tremendous ball skills.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jimmy has been the best corner in the league this year and it's not even close. I wonder if ravens fans still think he's a bum

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Think he deserves his own thread.

Prior to this game his passer rating was 27.9 for best in the league.

Actually seen if the league ended after last weeks games it would be the best in history but can't confirm that.

By my count he was 1 for 2 for about 4 yards and an int today.

The long comeplete his side was cover 2 and should be charged ro weddle. He clearly passed adams on
Absolutely cover 2 anyone with an ounce of football knowledge will know that with 100% certainty

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jimmy has been the best corner in the league this year and it's not even close. I wonder if ravens fans still think he's a bum
Sledge “but he’s always getting help, never makes plays, the coaching staff makes it easy on him”

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those LR on the old site were so painful. Jimmy would lockdown his side but give up 1 7 yard pass in 3rd quarter and suddenly a full page of "He is such a bum, playimg 10 yards off the line, he can't really play corner"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Those LR on the old site were so painful. Jimmy would lockdown his side but give up 1 7 yard pass in 3rd quarter and suddenly a full page of "He is such a bum, playimg 10 yards off the line, he can't really play corner"
Those people have lot their tongue this year, for sure.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So, I'm rewatching the play and I'm honestly not sure that it was Cover 2. All defenders follow their man and try to force outside releases.

But here's the kicker for me- Jimmy allows the outside release and immediately comes back inside with his body (if it were Cover 2, he needs to jam and force an inside release so that Weddle doesn't have to defend the sideline). Like, he presses Adams to the sideline and then takes the stance of Cover 2 and appears to actually look to the receiver going to the flat and takes a step downhill, but whoever was covering the TE follows and it appears to put Jimmy in an awkward spot because he then tries to get back to tracking the deep ball.

Not entirely sure what happened, but that was a really bizarre play and I have no idea what was happening there. Jimmy wouldn't just let someone past him for free and there's no reason for him to take a step downhill if he didn't think he had that responsibility...

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Yes if you guys don't mind. Thanks too for not rubbing our noses in it.

I don't think it's a coincidence he was injured during a TNF game.

Absolutely cover 2 anyone with an ounce of football knowledge will know that with 100% certainty

Saw that too. He did his job and it was a good pass.

Maybe not a cover 2 but it looked like his responsibility was the flats and passed his man to the safety @29BmoreBird22