• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So, I'm rewatching the play and I'm honestly not sure that it was Cover 2. All defenders follow their man and try to force outside releases.

But here's the kicker for me- Jimmy allows the outside release and immediately comes back inside with his body (if it were Cover 2, he needs to jam and force an inside release so that Weddle doesn't have to defend the sideline). Like, he presses Adams to the sideline and then takes the stance of Cover 2 and appears to actually look to the receiver going to the flat and takes a step downhill, but whoever was covering the TE follows and it appears to put Jimmy in an awkward spot because he then tries to get back to tracking the deep ball.

Not entirely sure what happened, but that was a really bizarre play and I have no idea what was happening there. Jimmy wouldn't just let someone past him and there's no reason for him to take a step downhill if he didn't think he had that responsibility...
It definitely was a bizarre play and seemed like a mix up. Not sure it should be on Jimmy though.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It definitely was a bizarre play and seemed like a mix up. Not sure it should be on Jimmy though.
I don't know that you put it on anyone. I think you just chalk that up to free yards. I don't know if PFF has to assign "blame," but that play just seems very much like a huge miscommunication and like it was no one's fault.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So, I'm rewatching the play and I'm honestly not sure that it was Cover 2. All defenders follow their man and try to force outside releases.

But here's the kicker for me- Jimmy allows the outside release and immediately comes back inside with his body (if it were Cover 2, he needs to jam and force an inside release so that Weddle doesn't have to defend the sideline). Like, he presses Adams to the sideline and then takes the stance of Cover 2 and appears to actually look to the receiver going to the flat and takes a step downhill, but whoever was covering the TE follows and it appears to put Jimmy in an awkward spot because he then tries to get back to tracking the deep ball.

Not entirely sure what happened, but that was a really bizarre play and I have no idea what was happening there. Jimmy wouldn't just let someone past him for free and there's no reason for him to take a step downhill if he didn't think he had that responsibility...
Yeah it was odd to see jimmy second guessing. He clearly dropped Adams for the crosser for one step and awkwardly tried to pick back up on Adams, either weddle was late, there was unexpected help on the flats, or jimmy just flat out didn't know which assignment was his, but the latter doesn't seem likely, since he would more than likely commit to the flat even if he realized he screwed up.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Tru11

Practice Squad

Not entirely sure what happened, but that was a really bizarre play and I have no idea what was happening there. Jimmy wouldn't just let someone past him for free and there's no reason for him to take a step downhill if he didn't think he had that responsibility...

everyone else seemed to be in man cov.
just look at the defenders on the other side following their man on a pick

he either had the wrong coverage in his head or he tried to jump a route.
think he expect a pass to the TE running an out route.

if it where cover 2 he would have pressed the receiver to the inside.

it happens to the best of them

Sooky

Pro Bowler
He honestly would be a 3-4 time pro bowler right now if he stayed healthy his entire career. When healthy he is a top 5 corner if not the best corner. Underrated he better get into the pro bowl.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
For what its worth, Colin Cowherd said Jimmy Smith very well might be the best corner in the NFL. At least someone gives him notice. Also said oir defense is playoff caliber but isnt sure if we make the playoffs

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He honestly would be a 3-4 time pro bowler right now if he stayed healthy his entire career. When healthy he is a top 5 corner if not the best corner. Underrated he better get into the pro bowl.
He's not even healthy Now and he's the best in the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For what its worth, Colin Cowherd said Jimmy Smith very well might be the best corner in the NFL. At least someone gives him notice. Also said oir defense is playoff caliber but isnt sure if we make the playoffs
It's about time he starts to get noticed. Of course he has been getting noticed this season, but he's been doing this, when healthy, the last few seasons. He was on the way to top 5 in 2014 before his injury. The 2nd half of the 2015 season he was starting to feel much more like himself and last season, when healthy our defense was pretty dominant.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's about time he starts to get noticed. Of course he has been getting noticed this season, but he's been doing this, when healthy, the last few seasons. He was on the way to top 5 in 2014 before his injury. The 2nd half of the 2015 season he was starting to feel much more like himself and last season, when healthy our defense was pretty dominant.
You say this as if he is healthy this season lol
I dont think he even practiced this week unless it was the last day. Either way cudos to jimmy. Maybe a shutdown game of Hopkins on monday night football will get him more national notice. And then 2 weeks later he gets a matchup vs antonio brown on sunday night football

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You say this as if he is healthy this season lol
I dont think he even practiced this week unless it was the last day. Either way cudos to jimmy. Maybe a shutdown game of Hopkins on monday night football will get him more national notice. And then 2 weeks later he gets a matchup vs antonio brown on sunday night football
Yes, I said this about two posts before this one. I mean, he's been playing with Achillies Tendinitis and takes days and sometimes weeks off of practice. Even hampered he is the best cornerback in the league, at the moment.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Link?