• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's so freaky and so dominant but i have 2 big questions for when i get into the proper study...

1) can he play more snaps than he does
2) can he become a pass rusher that you dont take off on obvious passing downs

he reminds me of derrick brown from a couple of years ago but even bigger and more athletic and brown was taken high

i guess partly it depends on how valuable you see run defence - he will single-handedly make teams one dimensional

so i guess his valuation is going to largely depend on how teams value nose tackles

but i'll put it this way - if he was a pass rusher and had value playing 3tech he'd be already the consensus number 1 overall pick
I agree, I'd be concerned if he can play more snaps. I have heard him compared to Vita Vea though. I haven't seen him play enough though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree, I'd be concerned if he can play more snaps. I have heard him compared to Vita Vea though. I haven't seen him play enough though.

Vita to me seemed more flexible and explosive and had somewhat of a pass rush pedigree even as a nose tackle coming into the league - i cannot believe he didnt go top 10 (although if i look back at that 2018 class it was absolutely stacked with talent early and had all those QBs too)

to me jordan davis is outrageously strong and powerful and also has some speed but he's a stiffer athlete - jordan davis reminds me a lot more of derrick brown than vita vea

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Vita to me seemed more flexible and explosive and had somewhat of a pass rush pedigree even as a nose tackle coming into the league - i cannot believe he didnt go top 10 (although if i look back at that 2018 class it was absolutely stacked with talent early and had all those QBs too)

to me jordan davis is outrageously strong and powerful and also has some speed but he's a stiffer athlete - jordan davis reminds me a lot more of derrick brown than vita vea
although I haven't watched him much, I'd agree he is more of a true nose tackle. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
although I haven't watched him much, I'd agree he is more of a true nose tackle. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

i mean they are both true nose tackles - they just play differently - Vea is shorter, has a low centre of gravity and moves explosively in a way that he shouldnt be able to - he had some issues with get-off and technique that meant he didnt always show off great pass rush in college but clearly had the abilty - he was also less consistent when taking on double teams

Davis is more of a stiff freak - not a lateral mover, faster than quick - just enormous with incredible length and can bully you at the point of attack - he's immovable even with extra blockers

both are true nose tackles - they just do it differently

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this likely referring to Tyler Linderbaum seemingly picking up an ankle injury during a meaningless bowl game

we know that NFL teams literally dont care about bowl games at all and as we found out last year, players that opted out of entire seasons have in some cases developed even quicker in the pros

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
sauce gardner didnt give up a TD his entire career in college - which is insane

i think it is definitely worth pointing out that it's possible that part of the reason for the low snap count for davis is that he doesnt play on 3rd and long or obvious passing downs and because he's so good on 1st and 2nd down he's reducing his own snap counts lol by forcing himself off the field through sheer dominance

i think my only worry with davis that high in the draft is that it feels hard to justify drafting a guy in the top 10 who might only play 50% of the snaps - obviously you hope that he develops a pass rush and plays closer to 70% but that's the risk - it's not a play-level risk it's more of a usage risk
More concerning for me than his low snap count, is the fact that he burns out quickly even with a low snap count.

he may have the worst conditioning I’ve ever seen for such a highly touted prospect.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
against bama it was worrying that he seemed gassed when they went hurry up/no-huddle
He’s gassed very frequently, that’s my major concern, I think he’s so physically dominant that he actually could be effective in pass rush situations, only if he’s got the legs for it, which he never seems to have

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s gassed very frequently, that’s my major concern, I think he’s so physically dominant that he actually could be effective in pass rush situations, only if he’s got the legs for it, which he never seems to have

that would definitely be a worry for a guy i might be spending a 1st rounder on - if he can only play 30 snaps a game and most of those snaps are not high-leverage situations then that's a pretty low-value pick no matter how good he is on other downs

especially when there's 2 team-mates on that DL in Devonte Wyatt and Travon Walker who very much do offer high-leverage value

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that would definitely be a worry for a guy i might be spending a 1st rounder on - if he can only play 30 snaps a game and most of those snaps are not high-leverage situations then that's a pretty low-value pick no matter how good he is on other downs

especially when there's 2 team-mates on that DL in Devonte Wyatt and Travon Walker who very much do offer high-leverage value
Travon walker without question is the best player coming out of Georgia for me. I’d love to leave round 1 with him in Baltimore, and hope like hell we can attack this OT class where it’s at its best, on day 2

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Travon walker without question is the best player coming out of Georgia for me. I’d love to leave round 1 with him in Baltimore, and hope like hell we can attack this OT class where it’s at its best, on day 2

assuming we lose the next 2 and end up somewhere in the top 15 - i think there's 2 ideal outcomes for us in this draft...

1. a blue-chip talent, the likes of which we normally dont have access to, is available and we add a cornerstone at a key position (likely OL, DL, EDGE or CB but could be elsewhere too) or...
  2. with the muddled QB class, we get the call and trade down out of the pick for a haul and still get a talented player (just might not be at the position we choose)... albeit not sure who that team would be

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Which teams will be looking QB in round 1.

Here's my list of teams I can see looking to upgrade at that position.

DEN- They feel like a team that will trade for a QB. They have enough on their current roster to allow themselves to move futures
NYG- I've seen the rumours that they are going to keep Daniel Jones, but they will have two high picks. If they bring in a new GM it's possible.
CAR- they may be forced to draft a QB. Rumours that Watson wouldn't waive to be sent there, don't see Rodgers or Wilson going there.
NO-tough spot for the Saints. They need a QB and playmakers. They can likely do one, but not both
SEA- I think Wilson will ask out of Seattle this offseason. Even without a 1st, I could see them landing a QB in the early 2nd round.
PIT- pretty obvious. They will be picking in a spot where they can get a QB they like
WSH- they'll be in a good spot to potentially take the 1st QB off the board.

Honorable mentions to the Lions and Texans. Both teams have so many holes, I can't see a QB being their BPA with a high pick. Both teams also figure to continue their rebuild in 22. At the top of that draft are some elite QB's in CJ Stroud and Heisman winner Bryce Young.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
2212B63D-1FFB-4DC0-8839-438355FA95D5.png

can’t think of a much more ideal trade free draft as it looks right now.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Been looking at this draft and it seems like it is pretty sparse at FS but solid at CB. Given the current state of our roster, I wonder if we think about moving Marcus Peters to FS and drafting a corner early to play opposite Marlon outside with Stephens and another player in the slot (if Tavon leaves). Moving Webb to FS later in his career worked from what I can remember and if Peters loses a step due to his injury I think he would still make an amazing FS due to his instincts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Been looking at this draft and it seems like it is pretty sparse at FS but solid at CB. Given the current state of our roster, I wonder if we think about moving Marcus Peters to FS and drafting a corner early to play opposite Marlon outside with Stephens and another player in the slot (if Tavon leaves). Moving Webb to FS later in his career worked from what I can remember and if Peters loses a step due to his injury I think he would still make an amazing FS due to his instincts.

i mean maybe later in his career

but right now peters is still a corner - im not drafting or moulding my offseason around moving lots of guys positions - why would i basically swap stephens and peters positions?

we definitely should be looking at adding more corners and maybe more safeties too - but i wouldnt worry so much about FS vs SS anymore - so many teams play a ton of split safety/2-high on the back-end - so most strong safeties in college are playing coverage - anyone who doesnt play man coverage in the nickel or shows no range or anything likely converts to LB

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
C0A9FE99-ACB6-45DD-9E4D-89E09854A4AB.png

this would be a fun class. Just imagine oweh, madubuike, winfrey, and hall as a 4 man rush, that’s some destructive freakish shit lol