• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The College Football Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
-13.5 seems light. Bama should cruise pass that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Can someone explain why neither playoff game is on ABC? Wouldn't you want to maximize your viewership for two of the three most importantly games of the season? Also starting one at 3:30pm on a Friday is stupid dumb.

I'm going to say it... Cincinnati is going to give Alabama a harder game than most people think. They may even pull off the upset.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can someone explain why neither playoff game is on ABC? Wouldn't you want to maximize your viewership for two of the three most importantly games of the season? Also starting one at 3:30pm on a Friday is stupid dumb.

I'm going to say it... Cincinnati is going to give Alabama a harder game than most people think. They may even pull off the upset.

i hope so - that would be the most interesting result in the short history of the cfb playoffs

but i doubt it - bama's got too much

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

ABC already has the second time slot filled with the New Years countdown at 8. I enjoy the 3:30 time slot, most folks are off work today. Might as well enjoy some late afternoon football

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
really frustrating that the trenches are so mismatched in this game because the marquee matchup i want to see is jameson williams vs these corners but really hard to see those matchups if bama can just run it every play

Another semi final blow out … Not a good look for CFP. A now 8 year sample , but only four of the 15 CFP semifinals have been decided by 14 points or less. Average margin of victory 20 points.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another semi final blow out … Not a good look for CFP. A now 8 year sample , but only four of the 15 CFP semifinals have been decided by 14 points or less. Average margin of victory 20 points.

was funny watching twitter complaining about the presence of cincinnati and completely forget that every semi-final has been even worse in terms of competition - at least cincinnati was competitive in some areas - they just didnt have the trenches to compete

i mean look at what georgia is doing to michigan right now and no one was complaining that michigan didnt deserve to be here

all this is proving once again is that the trenches are even more important in college than they are in the NFL and no conference can even get close to competing with the SEC in terms of OL and DL talent

CFB champions since the playoffs have existed have always had NFL talent at multiple spots on the OL - only exceptions are Clemson in 2017 (when Deshaun Watson went insane) and 2019 (when Alabama imploded offensively)

and the SEC has been represented in the national championship game in every iteration of the playoffs except the 1st one where Ohio State had incredible amounts of talent on both sides of the ball and oregon

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I just really don't know how other conferences can really compete with the SEC, it was obvious when the rankings came out that it was a set up for a Bama-Georgia rematch. Just watching a little of what I saw from Cincinnati-Bama, the differences in the trenches was so notable. Cincinnati did hang in there for most of the game but it wasn't a big blowout like so many expected. Now you see Georgia up big on Michigan, I know with college it comes down to recruiting but everyone is going to choose a SEC school before any other conference.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
A receiver stopping on the route and giving up on the play... boy it truly does feel like watching the Ravens when watching Michigan.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just really don't know how other conferences can really compete with the SEC, it was obvious when the rankings came out that it was a set up for a Bama-Georgia rematch. Just watching a little of what I saw from Cincinnati-Bama, the differences in the trenches was so notable. Cincinnati did hang in there for most of the game but it wasn't a big blowout like so many expected. Now you see Georgia up big on Michigan, I know with college it comes down to recruiting but everyone is going to choose a SEC school before any other conference.

it's just funny that the michigan OL won the Joe Moore award but they're getting obliterated on the national stage and Georgia's dominating a possible 1st overall pick with their OL...

and im not sure there's an easy fix here outside of expanding the SEC, expanding the playoffs and understanding that 75% of the playoff teams should be from the SEC

NCAA better hope that Notre Dame, Ohio State, Clemson rebuild quickly and that Lincoln Riley can uplift USC (with some nifty recruiting in LA) and that Michigan can find a way to continue to improve - especially with oklahoma and texas joining the SEC too

in terms of competition though i think the only real fix is a massive restructure and creating a super conference with all the best teams and making them play each other and creating a tiered conference system where teams can be promoted/relegated

and that's obviously not going to happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
targeting is still the dumbest rule in college

yes you want to improve technique but they just kicked a player out of the this game because he dipped his helmet slightly into contact and because he got his aiming point slightly wrong (hit the chest with the helmet rather than the shoulder) he gets tossed out of the game...

like i get it when a guy goes high on a defenceless receiver and contacts the head - and i get it when guys are launching for no reason

but this dude's game was ended (and he loses the 1st half of the championship game) because of a slight aiming point issue/slight dip of his helmet on an innocuous play on a PD

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
ABC already has the second time slot filled with the New Years countdown at 8. I enjoy the 3:30 time slot, most folks are off work today. Might as well enjoy some late afternoon football

Actually the only game i watched so i loved the time slot and Mich it seems turned out to be a total embarrassment. Not a good look for my favorite conference. Anyways GO BULLDOGS!!