• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offense Thread

Ricard doesnt really blow his guy up either hes just so big that he just seems to erase them from the play, hes also really good at hitting his target in space thats not a common skillset even with mobile linemen. I still think he could be special at guard

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hope the offense can continue to build on their performances from the past 2 games and that we could possibly get a Maclin and Wallace 1-2 punch going. Goodness!

The Raven

Veteran
Ricard is gifted and I wonder if there's a role for him beyond blocking. With his athleticism, there's a lot being left on the table by not using him as a pass rusher on third downs. Fullback is a part time job, and it doesn't demand much. Be big, be quick enough, and hit people in open space. A lot of people can do that. What separates him from others? Why did he make the team over Ricky Ortiz?

Clearly, he made the team for his ability to bring depth on the dline. I mean, he was a starter in college and got 18 sacks through his career. He's got pass rush potential. Why not throw him in next to Willie Henry on third down? This is probably something we get into more next year, but it's a legitimate possibility. He' 6'3 300 pounds with above average athleticism. He can do more than play fullback, and playing fullback won't exhaust him. Why not give him two part time jobs, so to speak?

To that end, I think Ricard is one version of the next-gen fullback. One version is the Juice model -- the hybrid who can be a receiving threat but may struggle with blocking. Ricard is the other model -- the solidly built and athletic defender who is on offense to hit people and catch the occasional flat route, while being a rotational piece -- probably as a rusher -- on defense. The Seahawks in recent years did this, too, putting a DT at fullback. More and more, teams are asking their players for versatility, and I see this as the next logical step.

Frankly, fullback really doesn't demand much talent, and many front seven defenders are already built for it. It takes size, decent athleticism, and nasty. Blocking in the open field isn't all that different from tackling in the open field in terms of positioning. In the future, I can see a team's backup LB or DE being the starting fullback and special teams ace on a near regular basis. If you want a part time fullback who can actually block, maybe more teams should ask their LBs and DL who played fullback in high school.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ricard doesnt really blow his guy up either hes just so big that he just seems to erase them from the play, hes also really good at hitting his target in space thats not a common skillset even with mobile linemen. I still think he could be special at guard
Just up until a few weeks ago (and this is because I haven’t been paying close attention since then so idk) Ricard was consistently whiffing on blocks every single game. Maybe he’s finally adjusted to being a FB, but idk if he’s REALLY good at blocking in space. But he is improving.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just up until a few weeks ago (and this is because I haven’t been paying close attention since then so idk) Ricard was consistently whiffing on blocks every single game. Maybe he’s finally adjusted to being a FB, but idk if he’s REALLY good at blocking in space. But he is improving.

He had a great block in space for one of Collins td runs vs the lions - I haven’t been paying that much attention to it but I’ve seen a lot of good looking blocks from pat Ricard especially the last 2 weeks springing Collins

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He had a great block in space for one of Collins td runs vs the lions - I haven’t been paying that much attention to it but I’ve seen a lot of good looking blocks from pat Ricard especially the last 2 weeks springing Collins
Yeah like I said I haven’t paid attention to him the last few weeks so he’s probably improved, he just needed time to adjust to his role I suppose.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
It's incredible that Collins is likely(*knock on wood*) to break 1000 yards despite
1. being on another team to start the year
2. Having a limited role until the middle of the season
3. Playing heavily in a committee.

I think a big reason the offense has turned around is because we have finally figured out that we need to feed him. That and that Marty seems to have finally figured out that Flacco is more of a rhythm QB.

Get us Billy Price in the first round to put next to Collins and another option in the passing game next offseason and we'll have one of the better offenses in the league. If we get past the 35 we are at least going to put 3 on the board.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
It's incredible that Collins is likely(*knock on wood*) to break 1000 yards despite

I think a big reason the offense has turned around is because we have finally figured out that we need to feed him. That and that Marty seems to have finally figured out that Flacco is more of a rhythm QB.

Get us Billy Price in the first round to put next to Collins and another option in the passing game next offseason and we'll have one of the better offenses in the league. If we get past the 35 we are at least going to put 3 on the board.
maea teuhema

rossihunter2

Staff Member

dont forget that even now he still doesnt get a prolific number of touches a game

If hes been whiffing on blocks then Ive missed it, I guess that means hes less of an outlier. How does he make up such high grades on his blocking?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because Ricard hasn't been whiffing on blocks and has been good all year
Expect I would literally watch him miss, so yes he has, bud. Maybe he only did it a couple times for the first few weeks and has improved since then because I stopped paying attention to him after the first half of the season or so. But don’t tell me he never whiffed on blocks when I fucking watched it multiple games in a row. I’m in no way saying I don’t like him as a FB. I’m just saying he hasn’t been perfect.

The Raven

Veteran
Expect I would literally watch him miss, so yes he has, bud. Maybe he only did it a couple times for the first few weeks and has improved since then because I stopped paying attention to him after the first half of the season or so. But don’t tell me he never whiffed on blocks when I fucking watched it multiple games in a row. I’m in no way saying I don’t like him as a FB. I’m just saying he hasn’t been perfect.
I'm not saying it never happened, but it's hardly been frequent. No worse than any other fullback.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
If hes been whiffing on blocks then Ive missed it, I guess that means hes less of an outlier. How does he make up such high grades on his blocking?
Juice was the highest graded fullback last year and he was a weak blocker. If a FB scores a TD he’s got an automatic high grade lol. But his blocking has looked good recently, I was specifically talking about earlier in the year, he had like 2 whifs a couple games in a row. Could’ve just been him getting adjusted to the position. Who knows. You can go back through my posts and in a couple game threads I mention Pat missing a key block. But this was much earlier in the season. Haven’t noticed a bad whif recently so I’m satisfied with his play.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco always has been bad at selling play action so it makes sense that his rating is low with it. He is at his best when he can survey the field and pick a target not named Maclin.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

^ At the end of the video, after making a few points about the offense.....Pitta says...."I think that this is an offense that we can count on moving forward!"