• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

The Greek

Veteran
even if he does not retire he should be replaced. 4th qtr let downs especially with playoff implications and against the same god damn team is unacceptable. teryl austin(familiar with system) plus better talent here than he had in detroit, chuck pagano(if he still wants to coach), marvin lewis, steve spagnuolo, greg williams because cleveland is cleveland, mike vrabel if the texans clean house. as far as candidates in college i am just not familiar enough to throw out any names.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
shouldve gotten wade when we had the chance. Id love austin. He is great at getting secondaries to play at their best. Need him so he can help out hump

arnie_uk

Veteran
The only thing that gives this retiring news credence is that Tony Lombardi has reported it too, but even that's suspect.

Frankly, local sports reporters tend to be a lazy, "don't rock the boat" type that enjoy the access and free food too much to break stories like these. Look at Zrebiec. I like the guy but all he's good for is half-assed "analysis" and cutesy features that make the players look good -- he's a PR machine for the team, and he'll keep doing it for the access. Same goes for Hensley, tbh. Preston is the only guy with real, sharp analysis at the Sun. Lombardi, who doesn't sit in the press box, is well-positioned to report stories like this. While Hensley and co. may be better sourced than Lombardi, they may not want to rock that boat. Sports reporting is a cushy and incestuous gig, and if you muck it up you'll find yourself friendless (read as: sourceless and storyless) pretty soon.

As for Schefter and Rappaport, they don't cover the team exclusively and may lack the source (or time) that spilled this possible news. Schefter and Rap are busy covering 31 other teams right now and probably don't have the resources to break the news that a no name DC nobody cares about is retiring. It was news when Dick Lebeau rumors started flying, because people outside Pittsburgh know who he is. Nobody outside Baltimore and maybe New England give a shit about Pees, so why waste time and ink on a story that doesn't matter until January? Most fans are focused now on predictions, fantasy, and injury reports, so that's where the national sports media will invest its resources.

This is just my two cents as a former journalist.

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate. The likelihood that this character on the board is right about Pees retiring is low. That said, if I'm Pees, I'm thinking hard about retiring. After years of scorn and ridicule from know-nothing fans, you get to go out on top with a good defense and say, "I told you it wasn't me." If I'm him I retire and go back to college, maybe even at a small school with minimal effort required.
That post was tony lombardi. Sorry should have said

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I found myself not hating collinsworth nearly as much as I used to, and then he showed his ridiculous bias for the steelers. It was incredible how an announcer is allowed to be so partial to one team.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I found myself not hating collinsworth nearly as much as I used to, and then he showed his ridiculous bias for the steelers. It was incredible how an announcer is allowed to be so partial to one team.
He’s no Howard Cosell

And it's so odd considering his history. I wouldn't expect a former Steeler to love the Bengals as much as that former Bengal (Collinsworth) worships Pittsbugh.

There's something a little unnatural about it if you ask me...

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Alright so I just watched the play that ended out season for the first time since the game and here is what pisses me off.
1. Watch Judon, that’s a really fucking bad hold to not be called come on reffs.
2. Pees got to fucking cute and it cost us our season. It’s 4&12 a 4 year can tell you we wouldn’t blitz, so what is the point of that look??? The issue wasn’t Canady being too deep, Mosley was way to shallow. This wasn’t his fault however, if he was left in a damn normal position he would have picked off the ball. Ugh.