• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pees' defense and defensive alignment is evidently very apparent to Ben Roethlisberger pre-snap.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It's true all defenses fall apart without sound tackling, but pees calls a lot of top down philosophy which allows small gains but they have to be contained, as opposed to say an aggressive scheme with a lot of man coverage and heavy blitzing. Think Rex defenses where it's all about disruption and forcing quick passes and hopefully your cb is in place to not allow the completion, where a pees defense philosophy isn't necessarily to stop any completion from happening(though that's a nice bonus) but is more about contain, and allowing the completion isn't a big deal if you consistently make the tackle.
Pees philosophy is great. Its just his wrong use of personnel and in game adjustments! Tbh, our HC is also suppose to give in game advice to pees if sees something. Cant mandate it but harbaugh should be seeing things during the game and give suggestions to pees ,since it takes till after the game to finally notice what he did wrong. Its what BB does all the time, however BB is a genius and harbaugh is harbaug

The Raven

Veteran
The only thing that gives this retiring news credence is that Tony Lombardi has reported it too, but even that's suspect.

Frankly, local sports reporters tend to be a lazy, "don't rock the boat" type that enjoy the access and free food too much to break stories like these. Look at Zrebiec. I like the guy but all he's good for is half-assed "analysis" and cutesy features that make the players look good -- he's a PR machine for the team, and he'll keep doing it for the access. Same goes for Hensley, tbh. Preston is the only guy with real, sharp analysis at the Sun. Lombardi, who doesn't sit in the press box, is well-positioned to report stories like this. While Hensley and co. may be better sourced than Lombardi, they may not want to rock that boat. Sports reporting is a cushy and incestuous gig, and if you muck it up you'll find yourself friendless (read as: sourceless and storyless) pretty soon.

As for Schefter and Rappaport, they don't cover the team exclusively and may lack the source (or time) that spilled this possible news. Schefter and Rap are busy covering 31 other teams right now and probably don't have the resources to break the news that a no name DC nobody cares about is retiring. It was news when Dick Lebeau rumors started flying, because people outside Pittsburgh know who he is. Nobody outside Baltimore and maybe New England give a shit about Pees, so why waste time and ink on a story that doesn't matter until January? Most fans are focused now on predictions, fantasy, and injury reports, so that's where the national sports media will invest its resources.

This is just my two cents as a former journalist.

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate. The likelihood that this character on the board is right about Pees retiring is low. That said, if I'm Pees, I'm thinking hard about retiring. After years of scorn and ridicule from know-nothing fans, you get to go out on top with a good defense and say, "I told you it wasn't me." If I'm him I retire and go back to college, maybe even at a small school with minimal effort required.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pees philosophy is great. Its just his wrong use of personnel and in game adjustments! Tbh, our HC is also suppose to give in game advice to pees if sees something. Cant mandate it but harbaugh should be seeing things during the game and give suggestions to pees ,since it takes till after the game to finally notice what he did wrong. Its what BB does all the time, however BB is a genius and harbaugh is harbaug
I agree pees has a good scheme. Very complicated and takes high iq players and are key players hold an immense amount of responsibility, and it works often, but if you're facing higher end talent you simply need to put the best 11 players on the field that the situation calls for and sometimes just let your guys win rather than be too creative.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The only thing that gives this retiring news credence is that Tony Lombardi has reported it too, but even that's suspect.

Frankly, local sports reporters tend to be a lazy, "don't rock the boat" type that enjoy the access and free food too much to break stories like these. Look at Zrebiec. I like the guy but all he's good for is half-assed "analysis" and cutesy features that make the players look good -- he's a PR machine for the team, and he'll keep doing it for the access. Same goes for Hensley, tbh. Preston is the only guy with real, sharp analysis at the Sun. Lombardi, who doesn't sit in the press box, is well-positioned to report stories like this. While Hensley and co. may be better sourced than Lombardi, they may not want to rock that boat. Sports reporting is a cushy and incestuous gig, and if you muck it up you'll find yourself friendless (read as: sourceless and storyless) pretty soon.

As for Schefter and Rappaport, they don't cover the team exclusively and may lack the source (or time) that spilled this possible news. Schefter and Rap are busy covering 31 other teams right now and probably don't have the resources to break the news that a no name DC nobody cares about is retiring. It was news when Dick Lebeau rumors started flying, because people outside Pittsburgh know who he is. Nobody outside Baltimore and maybe New England give a shit about Pees, so why waste time and ink on a story that doesn't matter until January? Most fans are focused now on predictions, fantasy, and injury reports, so that's where the national sports media will invest its resources.

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate. The likelihood that this character on the board is right about Pees retiring is low. That said, if I'm Pees, I'm thinking hard about retiring. After years of scorn and ridicule from know-nothing fans, you get to go out on top with a good defense and say, "I told you it wasn't me." If I'm him I retire and go back to college, maybe even at a small school with minimal effort required.
lol Preston sharp analysis?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In relative terms, lol. More than Hensley or anyone else at the Sun.
Agreed there. Although Preston seems to like stirring the pot more than he likes analyzing. I hear him say some shit that leaves me really wondering wtf he's thinking.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Well, it wasn't necessarily to say that Hensley, Zriebac, Preston, etc. all put out more quality product or anything, but just rather to ask why in the hell a writer and owner of a little known website would get insider information that those aforementioned writers, who all work for more profitable and well known outlets, didn't.

Like, what advantage would Lombardi have that those others don't as far as gaining something like that?

The Raven

Veteran
Well, it wasn't necessarily to say that Hensley, Zriebac, Preston, etc. all put out more quality product or anything, but just rather to ask why in the hell a writer and owner of a little known website would get insider information that those aforementioned writers, who all work for more profitable and well known outlets, didn't.

Like, what advantage would Lombardi have that those others don't as far as gaining something like that?

RSR is pretty well respected by the franchise and the local media, even compared to more established folks like WNST. Tony probably still gets access to staff. He and RSR have been around and producing quality content long enough to where people in the FO know who Tony is. I'm pretty sure even Bisciotti knows and has talked positively about RSR. I mean, the site's PR team link to his site's work routinely. I'm not sure it's fair to call RSR "little known." They're pretty well known in the Baltimore media landscape. I have my qualms with Lombardi but the site is deservedly held in pretty high regard.

And, I think the "establishment" folks may know or have caught wind of the retirement rumor, but they're shying away because 1: don't rock the boat and 2: it's not kosher for folks at the Sun to report rumors as big as this one.

The easiest way to put it is that Tony has never been beholden to any other masters and Tony's gonna be Tony, whereas Zrebiec and Hensley just feed the PR beast. I mean, Zrebiec and Hensley get beat by national reporters who don't exclusively cover the Ravens. They're honestly just not that good. Tony isn't good but he's aggressive and he's probably well sourced. His aggressiveness is the difference maker between his org and the others. He'll print what other people wouldn't, because his org isn't held to the same journalistic standard as the Sun.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
RSR is pretty well respected by the franchise and the local media, even compared to more established folks like WNST. Tony probably still gets access to staff. He and RSR have been around and producing quality content long enough to where people in the FO know who Tony is. I'm pretty sure even Bisciotti knows and has talked positively about RSR. I mean, the site's PR team link to his site's work routinely. I'm not sure it's fair to call RSR "little known." They're pretty well known in the Baltimore media landscape. I have my qualms with Lombardi but the site is deservedly held in pretty high regard.

And, I think the "establishment" folks may know or have caught wind of the retirement rumor, but they're shying away because 1: don't rock the boat and 2: it's not kosher for folks at the Sun to report rumors as big as this one.

The easiest way to put it is that Tony has never been beholden to any other masters and Tony's gonna be Tony, whereas Zrebiec and Hensley just feed the PR beast. I mean, Zrebiec and Hensley get beat by national reporters who don't exclusively cover the Ravens. They're honestly just not that good. Tony isn't good but he's aggressive and he's probably well sourced. His aggressiveness is the difference maker between his org and the others. He'll print what other people wouldn't, because his org isn't held to the same journalistic standard as the Sun.
I live in Virginia now and it took me several, several years to actually find that RSR was even a news outlet. Would I have known who they were from living in Baltimore? I don't know; maybe. I just probably don't keep up with media in the same way that you do (for obvious reasons). I just know that I rarely frequent their site other than to look for Filmstudy articles or find statistics that Lombardi has compiled.

With regards to the site gaining traction on the Ravens own LFW articles (which is the only place I have seen them referenced), LFW has also referenced Baltimore Beatdown in the LFW articles. I don't think Baltimore Beatdown is exactly a great outlet for reliable information.

That is a really fair point, though, with regards to Lombardi being his own boss and not having to cater to anyone else. The only reason I'm skeptical is that Lombardi has never been one to break big news before anyone else, so why would this be a change all of a sudden?

The Raven

Veteran
I live in Virginia now and it took me several, several years to actually find that RSR was even a news outlet. Would I have known who they were from living in Baltimore? I don't know; maybe. I just probably don't keep up with media in the same way that you do (for obvious reasons). I just know that I rarely frequent their site other than to look for Filmstudy articles or find statistics that Lombardi has compiled.

With regards to the site gaining traction on the Ravens own LFW articles (which is the only place I have seen them referenced), LFW has also referenced Baltimore Beatdown in the LFW articles. I don't think Baltimore Beatdown is exactly a great outlet for reliable information.

That is a really fair point, though, with regards to Lombardi being his own boss and not having to cater to anyone else. The only reason I'm skeptical is that Lombardi has never been one to break big news before anyone else, so why would this be a change all of a sudden?
That's a very valid point, and one that I've reiterated time and time again. Lombardi's never broken real news. Maybe this changes that. Who knows? As Tony's said since the site's inception, the focus has always been analysis, not news breaking. Maybe this turns out to be their first break.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

At least he brought his ass out of the booth so he can yell at him once in awhile.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
That's a very valid point, and one that I've reiterated time and time again. Lombardi's never broken real news. Maybe this changes that. Who knows? As Tony's said since the site's inception, the focus has always been analysis, not news breaking. Maybe this turns out to be their first break.
Well, I will say, they've done much better about getting quality writers that offer good analysis.

I remember not too long ago they had a middle schooler writing articles for them. It was really poor quality, too.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I agree pees has a good scheme. Very complicated and takes high iq players and are key players hold an immense amount of responsibility, and it works often, but if you're facing higher end talent you simply need to put the best 11 players on the field that the situation calls for and sometimes just let your guys win rather than be too creative.
I agree with this and I think going into playoffs with a new co-ordinator might do us world of good when it matters. No need to wait for his retirement.
It worked once with offense, why it couldn't on the defensive side?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Well, I will say, they've done much better about getting quality writers that offer good analysis.

I remember not too long ago they had a middle schooler writing articles for them. It was really poor quality, too.
We have a 19 year old writing for us on occasion when he's not working on finals..... Fuck this week..

That writer sucks so we should not be talking