• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 14 Edition

One thing that drove me crazy going back this past Sunday was the space bell got out of the back field. The inability to predict Bell as a blocker or receiver is very tough, but this guy had space to work with over and over again in the back field, if he is someone you say cannot beat you, then I don't understand why you allow him to continuously give him and opportunity to make plays there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing that drove me crazy going back this past Sunday was the space bell got out of the back field. The inability to predict Bell as a blocker or receiver is very tough, but this guy had space to work with over and over again in the back field, if he is someone you say cannot beat you, then I don't understand why you allow him to continuously give him and opportunity to make plays there.
Because Jesse James and Vance McDonald would work our asses right on down the field so we leave Bell alone

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's a product of having multiple play makers that the defense must account for, something the Steelers have and unfortunately, the Ravens don't.

arnie_uk

Veteran
I dont remember ever seeing an admission like this before from ravens coaches but per Jeff Zrebiec:

"Dean Pees admitted in hindsight, he should’ve had Marlon Humphrey shadow Antonio Brown."
Or shadow weddle to his side at least. At least he's seen his mistake.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Or shadow weddle to his side at least. At least he's seen his mistake.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Now if the situation arises again do you change your approach accordingly. That is the real test.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I dont remember ever seeing an admission like this before from ravens coaches but per Jeff Zrebiec:

"Dean Pees admitted in hindsight, he should’ve had Marlon Humphrey shadow Antonio Brown."
Two things stand out.
1) Good on a coach for owning up to a mistake they made, unlike Harbaugh who kinda just... I don't even know.
2) That's REALLY high praise to say, "Yeah, our rookie should shadow the best receiver in football."

NYSE5

Practice Squad
You're desperately trying to be funny/sarcastic/clever. I wish someone else read the board and got rid of Pees long time ago.
Steve Bisciotti is a very intelligent businessman and very personable, easy to talk with. You do not run an NFL franchise aka a billion dollar business from a message board.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
do you reckon marlon shadows gordon or hilton or aj green these last 3 weeks?
I would doubt it, but it's a lot easier to game plan for that a week out instead of on the fly like on Sunday.

I think it will be in their back pockets if things start going sour, though.

One really understated effect Jimmy has had on this defense is that he allowed the Ravens to play so much single high coverage on every play and just shade help over the top of Carr. On Sunday, the Ravens had to play two high on most snaps.

With that said, you might be able to get back to that single high look with Humphrey shadowing and I don't think Green and Hilton offer any tougher a match up than Brown, but I am terrified of Gordon.

Because Jesse James and Vance McDonald would work our asses right on down the field so we leave Bell alone
Still, all the Raven talked about was limiting Bell and making sure that he didn't beat him. I don't think we expecting James and McDonald to completely rip us the way we did, I was very irritated and frustrated with Mosley and Judon in coverage. This arguably could be Mosley's worst career game in coverage. I still think you have to try hard not to allow Bell to be in those type of situations.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Still, all the Raven talked about was limiting Bell and making sure that he didn't beat him. I don't think we expecting James and McDonald to completely rip us the way we did, I was very irritated and frustrated with Mosley and Judon in coverage. This arguably could be Mosley's worst career game in coverage. I still think you have to try hard not to allow Bell to be in those type of situations.
Most of the time it was due to blitzing with couple guys, leaving lot of empty middle. Their TEs always had a head start on our LBs who would have to come back all the way from the other side of a scrimmage line. Again bad scheming.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Most of the time it was due to blitzing with couple guys, leaving lot of empty middle. Their TEs always had a head start on our LBs who would have to come back all the way from the other side of a scrimmage line. Again bad scheming.

weve also notably been blitzing a lot of dbs and leaving the linebackers to hold up in coverage - that feels like its a move that works best when we dial it up in specific places rather than as often as we seem to - cj mosley is pretty good rushing if he's struggling in coverage at the moment id have half a mind to dial up some blitzes that try and get him some space and penetration in the backfield