• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 14 Edition

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
weve also notably been blitzing a lot of dbs and leaving the linebackers to hold up in coverage - that feels like its a move that works best when we dial it up in specific places rather than as often as we seem to - cj mosley is pretty good rushing if he's struggling in coverage at the moment id have half a mind to dial up some blitzes that try and get him some space and penetration in the backfield
this. idk how the fuck pees thought, that while mosley was getting his shit wrecked in coverage, that we should LEAVE him in coverage with less security blanket and blitz our dbs instead. like dude, blitz mosley and make him less of a liability for one snap, and let weddle fucking hold up in coverage instead, seems obvious considering one is a pro bowl safety and the other is a ILB who has always been horrid in man and great at blitzing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this. idk how the fuck pees thought, that while mosley was getting his shit wrecked in coverage, that we should LEAVE him in coverage with less security blanket and blitz our dbs instead. like dude, blitz mosley and make him less of a liability for one snap, and let weddle fucking hold up in coverage instead, seems obvious considering one is a pro bowl safety and the other is a ILB who has always been horrid in man and great at blitzing

exactly - the safety blitz should be a deceptive blitz that the offence doesnt expect (which weddle and jefferson are both good at disguising) but it seems counter productive to put your players in bad spots repeatedly... mosley and weddle are good at different things and yet pees this year has made them repeatedly play the strength of the other player rather than their own - pees is getting too clever at times he's bluffing when he shouldnt be overthinking it

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I feel that there's a misconception about out coverage against Pittsburgh. Let's take the first half for example. We rarely came with more than a 4 man rush. On 28 passing plays, we had 5 rushers on exactly 5 of them. Furthermore, Mosley was far more often in zone than not. Not only that, but he was asked to take ridiculously deep drops. The amount of space we allowed underneath was very much alarming. Here's Mosley on a 3rd and 2 (Link), which ended up as an inevitable successful scramble by Roethlisberger. Here is Mosley almost 15 yards down the field with 10 yards to gain (Link). He was dropping back 10+ yards before the throw on a consistent basis, flipping his hips and backpedaling from the snap. He did slip badly against Jesse James for an 11 yard gain early on, and he had another similar hesitation for a solid gain later in the game. But the issue wasn't that he was tasked with man coverage. It was that both our hook and curl drops were so deep by design that we basically made it untenable to cover underneath. It was a design flaw that was evident throughout the game. With respect to Weddle, he's unlikely to man either of the four zones considering how often he plays single-high. That's mostly because Jefferson isn't someone who you'd prefer to consistently play 10 yards off the ball. By sheer virtue of having Jefferson on the field, you're likely to keep your FS in the middle third.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I feel that there's a misconception about out coverage against Pittsburgh. Let's take the first half for example. We rarely came with more than a 4 man rush. On 28 passing plays, we had 5 rushers on exactly 5 of them. Furthermore, Mosley was far more often in zone than not. Not only that, but he was asked to take ridiculously deep drops. The amount of space we allowed underneath was very much alarming. Here's Mosley on a 3rd and 2 (Link), which ended up as an inevitable successful scramble by Roethlisberger. Here is Mosley almost 15 yards down the field with 10 yards to gain (Link). He was dropping back 10+ yards before the throw on a consistent basis, flipping his hips and backpedaling from the snap. He did slip badly against Jesse James for an 11 yard gain early on, and he had another similar hesitation for a solid gain later in the game. But the issue wasn't that he was tasked with man coverage. It was that both our hook and curl drops were so deep by design that we basically made it untenable to cover underneath. It was a design flaw that was evident throughout the game. With respect to Weddle, he's unlikely to man either of the four zones considering how often he plays single-high. That's mostly because Jefferson isn't someone who you'd prefer to consistently play 10 yards off the ball. By sheer virtue of having Jefferson on the field, you're likely to keep your FS in the middle third.
I keep telling people

FIRE DEAN PEES!!!

Most of the time it was due to blitzing with couple guys, leaving lot of empty middle. Their TEs always had a head start on our LBs who would have to come back all the way from the other side of a scrimmage line. Again bad scheming.
I still don't see a reason why you give him that space in any type of situation. Bell carried the ball 13 times for 48 yards yet finished the game with 125 yards total...

If we're going to let McDonald and James kill us then that's honestly something I can't get at Pees for. I don't think you can anticipate Mosley and Judon underwhelming so badly the way they did, but Bell's free releases and space in the back field is kind of something that I had an issue with in regards to the way the game was called. I will have to look ball at the film and see for myself because I find Mosley and Judon much more liable for their poor coverage then anyone else after Sundays game.

Great post,

I noticed that Bell had tons of space out of the back field, does that have to do with how deep Mosley is? On some plays did you see Mosley deep in coverage often when Bell had the ball in his hands out of the back field? I just find it odd why the Ravens would want to drop Mosley that deep so often when they were dead set on stopping Bell.