• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pass rushers

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I wouldn't love a DT pick but I wouldn't hate it either. Oddly taven Bryan is by far my favorite, but I think it's the pick that would upset me the most, just because I have a lot of questions about his transition to the pros and I don't like the idea of taking a player with big questions. His ceiling is great, and if he reaches it with us then I'll be happier than a pig in shit, but I feel the same about Bryan in the first as I feel about DJ Moore in the second, just too risky for my liking due to the development that needs to happen.
Yeah I get that. TBH it'll depend on Wink's scheme. Is he ready to say to his DTs "Fuck this, rush all you want, go wild"? If he is, Bryan is my choice. If he still preaches some containment (I know he won't ask for that as much as Pees but still) then Hurst or Payne should be our guys. I'm not really excited if that's the pick but it so well could be.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mata'Afa is a really strange evaluation. There's no question that he's a good football player and that his burst off the line and his uncanny ability to knife his way between two lineman as routine will jump out at you.

He plays with relentless effort, he's physical and he tackles well in space. The question is how he fits. The tendency here would be to wonder, based on his body type, if he fits as a 34 OLB.

My initial guess, is no....at least not for a year or two if at all. I've seen him drop in man once in five games and was flagged for PI. It didn't appear natural and I don't suspect it was.
In terms of edge pressure, I see nothing to suggest that he has the bend or strength or the diversity of pass rush moves to threaten an NFL tackle.

Because of his athleticism, straight line speed and ability to tackle, some might see him as a fit inside. He's not seen on film working in this capacity and he would need to show he could cover and that's likely a process.

He lines up all over the defensive line and manages consistent interior pressure, despite giving up 30-50 pounds. This is worth investigating...Perhaps his best role is as 43 DE?

Is he able to gradually gain weight and not lose his burst....could he gain fifteen pounds and be used situationally here...inside next to Pierce? I don't know...I've not seen a player his size with his skill set that I recall.I

He has work to do in any case. Getting up field fast is so clearly a part of his game that he completely loses the football on certain running plays...head down with not much awareness.

You have to have conviction that you can fit this guy, otherwise he ends up on teams...forever.

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant returned back to school, considering I've seen them in the first round of mock drafts it's a very interesting decision.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
For an interior pass rusher, I'd love to get Taven Bryan. He's a natural at getting penetration, with great acceleration and is always the first person off the line on defense. He also has the football IQ and awareness to actually do something after he gets into the backfield. Here's some highlights.

In some of these plays he makes beating double teams look easy.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
For an interior pass rusher, I'd love to get Taven Bryan. He's a natural at getting penetration, with great acceleration and is always the first person off the line on defense. He also has the football IQ and awareness to actually do something after he gets into the backfield. Here's some highlights.

I hate him forever. Don't want him on my team.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

That wasn’t even that bad. Meh

Also, just curious, how are you a Bama fan and a Ravens fan? Seems like an unusual combo. Are you from Bama now live in Bmore or something like that?

Last edited:

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't have a problem with his play there. A bit dumb since he knew it was going to cause a penalty, but I've seen Ravens' defenders from our defense's heyday do the same type of thing. The only really dirty thing there was the guy trying to hit the player while Taven had him in the air.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I would love Bryan here. He's so disruptive, the guy is going to push QB out of their confort zone on every play. Put him anywhere on the line on passing downs and he'll wreak havoc. Put him at 5tech on running downs and he'll clean up a ton of plays.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Where do you see him going.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That wasn’t even that bad. Meh

I don't have a problem with his play there. A bit dumb since he knew it was going to cause a penalty, but I've seen Ravens' defenders from our defense's heyday do the same type of thing. The only really dirty thing there was the guy trying to hit the player while Taven had him in the air.

It's 40-16 with 10min to go. You've been manhandled like a ragdoll all game by the O line and then you'll show how tough you are with a facemask and body slam on the smallest guy on the field??

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant returned back to school, considering I've seen them in the first round of mock drafts it's a very interesting decision.
Clelin Ferrell was likely going before 16 too, so that takes one of our targets away

I took another look and I just see the same thing as before. Unrefined, skinny, and for his size you would really wanna see a better first step and general quickness. He's got an average first step, long lumbering strides, I haven't seen any quality edge bending, disengages, nothing. I don't understand why this guy ever had hype.
This.
He looks like an absolute absolute nonesense. Like Mingo over and over, and not just because he's a former Tiger.
I wouldn't touch him until late 3rd, in all seriousness. We already have Timmy as a pure pass rusher who can barely play on run situations and at least he has a lower center of gravity to maintain any sort of leverage and stuff a runner. He had a few crazy games last year, starting with that 4.5 sacks on day 1 but I'm just as low on him as I was with Ogbah.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I feel like this is spot on https://mobile.twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/963438483548397568

I do think Landry will run better but they are very similar in how they win pass rush wise. I think Barnett was a better run defender however
I think that's off. Idk what he means by better athlete, maybe Barnett being bigger means his athleticism is more impressive? But in terms of standalone athleticism I'd say Landry is better, Barnett had good hands coming out, and I also would say landrys first step is scarier than barnetts who relies on timing a bit more.

Really I couldn't compare the two other than to say Barnett is flat out better. He's bigger and stronger, better pass rusher, better instincts and more refined, better run defender, an elite dip and bend the likes of which I haven't seen since I started following the draft, I just didn't see that with Landry last year when I watched him heavily, I saw a pretty good bend and a bursty guy who could buy himself enough room to shorten the edge with quickness. Barnett was a different animal, far more complete and pro ready.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that's off. Idk what he means by better athlete, maybe Barnett being bigger means his athleticism is more impressive? But in terms of standalone athleticism I'd say Landry is better, Barnett had good hands coming out, and I also would say landrys first step is scarier than barnetts who relies on timing a bit more.

Really I couldn't compare the two other than to say Barnett is flat out better. He's bigger and stronger, better pass rusher, better instincts and more refined, better run defender, an elite dip and bend the likes of which I haven't seen since I started following the draft, I just didn't see that with Landry last year when I watched him heavily, I saw a pretty good bend and a bursty guy who could buy himself enough room to shorten the edge with quickness. Barnett was a different animal, far more complete and pro ready.
I think Landry has a variety of moves. His coach worked with some of the best ever with Taylor and Watt leading that list. I think they compare in how they win outside with bend so consistently. I agree with you on Barnett being bigger and better vs the run but as pass rushers i think they are very similar in how they win