• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Frustrating, The Bad and The Ugly - Lions Edition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Have we been sitting on a stud RT this whole time?!

not a stud but I’ve always said mekari would be fine as a T coming in as a replacement in-game because he’s so technically proficient with his feet and his hands

he just significantly lacks length and doesn’t have an amazing anchor which means that you can gameplan for him as a defence

he got absolutely blown up by power on 1 play by the lions but otherwise did fine

I’m surprised that he hasn’t been game-planned around better by opposing defences but maybe because of Villanueva they haven’t had to

either way he’s proving that he’s not just an in-game swing tackle but that he’s genuinely an all 5 spot backup

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

lol

such a bullshit statement lol - no coaches would be calling and asking because they'd be able to see it on the tape of the game

absolutely and they didn't stop anything. It was Hollywood that gave the assist. Anyway, have no doubt he gets back on track.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
absolutely and they didn't stop anything. It was Hollywood that gave the assist. Anyway, have no doubt he gets back on track.
So.... I thought they did about as well as anybody with stopping the run. I'm not going to pretend like they "solved" the problem, just like the Raiders didn't, but they had a pretty strong gameplan for stopping the run, and they executed it pretty well.

That being said... they also led pass catchers roam freely all day long, and give up chunk play after chunk play consistently in the passing game, which is almost certainly at least significantly contributable to an emphasis on stopping the run.

So while I agree with rossi that any decent coach can see this on film anyway, theoretically, if you found a team that could play the same style of run defense AND have sufficient talent in the secondary to play much better coverage than they did, then yes, you could, theoretically, have something.

That's also a gigantic task to ask of any defense in the league, and I don't really see any that have the talent to do both.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So.... I thought they did about as well as anybody with stopping the run. I'm not going to pretend like they "solved" the problem, just like the Raiders didn't, but they had a pretty strong gameplan for stopping the run, and they executed it pretty well.

That being said... they also led pass catchers roam freely all day long, and give up chunk play after chunk play consistently in the passing game, which is almost certainly at least significantly contributable to an emphasis on stopping the run.

So while I agree with rossi that any decent coach can see this on film anyway, theoretically, if you found a team that could play the same style of run defense AND have sufficient talent in the secondary to play much better coverage than they did, then yes, you could, theoretically, have something.

That's also a gigantic task to ask of any defense in the league, and I don't really see any that have the talent to do both.

it's also worth pointing out that a "contained" ravens run game still went for over 5 ypc - but it does point to Roman adjusting and taking the most efficient option to gash a team rather than being strictly beholden to the running game which we've seen in the past - the lions sold out vs the run and even though we were getting 5 ypc in the running game we were getting nearly 18 ypc in the passing game (and over 9 ypa despite the drops)

Lions were only in this game because the ravens missed some opportunities and struggled on 3rd down (1/10)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's also worth pointing out that a "contained" ravens run game still went for over 5 ypc - but it does point to Roman adjusting and taking the most efficient option to gash a team rather than being strictly beholden to the running game which we've seen in the past - the lions sold out vs the run and even though we were getting 5 ypc in the running game we were getting nearly 18 ypc in the passing game (and over 9 ypa despite the drops)

Lions were only in this game because the ravens missed some opportunities and struggled on 3rd down (1/10)
Correct.... with one caveat. Saw some posts on Twitter from the all-22 viewers. The Lions job in the run game was actually more appealing, given that Lamar had 52 yards rushing on non-designed runs, i.e. designed passing plays where he just fled the pocket. One of those was that big 31 yard run in the first quarter.

If you factored those out, the Ravens were 17 for 64 on designed running plays, which is less than 4.0 YPC. That's a really bad performance by any rushing attack, and double bad for the Ravens.

Now those scramble plays are obviously a part of the offense and shouldn't really be ignored, but they're also outside of the structure of the offense and defensive players can't really scheme or defend non-structured plays like that as well, for obvious reasons.

Now, as you and everybody else has suggested, we punished them in the passing game. Would have been well over 300 yards passing on only about 30 attempts if we had more catches and less drops.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Correct.... with one caveat. Saw some posts on Twitter from the all-22 viewers. The Lions job in the run game was actually more appealing, given that Lamar had 52 yards rushing on non-designed runs, i.e. designed passing plays where he just fled the pocket. One of those was that big 31 yard run in the first quarter.

If you factored those out, the Ravens were 17 for 64 on designed running plays, which is less than 4.0 YPC. That's a really bad performance by any rushing attack, and double bad for the Ravens.

Now those scramble plays are obviously a part of the offense and shouldn't really be ignored, but they're also outside of the structure of the offense and defensive players can't really scheme or defend non-structured plays like that as well, for obvious reasons.

Now, as you and everybody else has suggested, we punished them in the passing game. Would have been well over 300 yards passing on only about 30 attempts if we had more catches and less drops.

oh for sure - the lions ran their scrape exchanges better than most teams we've played since Lamar became QB to deal with both options and also deal with motion etc.

i was merely pointing out that despite that, in the accounting, the ravens still were able to move the ball on the ground (maybe should have phrased it that way rather than talking about it as the running game because you're right that the scrambles aren't a part of the running game)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty much all the haters and trolls..

D6850E05-5CE2-4274-BA71-743A43128E4E.jpeg