• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Frustrating, The Bad and The Ugly - Lions Edition

Simba

Staff Member
Ugly game but got the W. Offense actually had a lot going in the passing game but Hollywood dropped the ball literally and figuratively. Not much going in the running game today but they also didn't have much a commitment to it with how the game was playing out. Lamar did look a little more antsy in the pocket than usual but he put together a really good day throwing the ball sans the INT and a few misses.

Defense did alright all things considered. Thought the young guys (particularly Washington and McKenzie) did well filling in. Edge guys were shorthanded and you could tell that impacted what they were able to do. ILBs were pretty bad today. Secondary was eh.

But JUSTIN MOTHERFUCKING TUCKER saves the day!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
A few things.

Teams are likely going to try and play us similarly, just totally selling out to stop the run. We proved we are CAPABLE of beating teams that play like that. I would just say we're not polished in that area and need to get better. Which we will with practice.

The defense just needs to find a way to be be better all around. It's not just this game. I understand fully we had lots of guys out, but the first 2 weeks as well have been bad. Yes 2 good offenses those other weeks, but they need to be better.

Marquise Brown will be ok, but the Ravens have gotta try and help him get back on track ASAP.

Freeman isn't it, but neither is Tyson. Murray is ok. Hopefully Bell has something in the tank.

Bateman and Boykin could be back next week. I have no interest in seeing Miles Boykin at all. I fear they would get too comfortable and throw him back out there. It's Bateman time.

As far as I can tell, Proche got more snaps this game than he ever has. Had 1 good pickup. I'm not sure Duv deserves the snaps he's getting.

Elliot is hurt with a Quad. We gotta do something to help Stephens out if he's taking on a starting role in his absence. Chuck Clark is a monster though.

Tucker is still the GOAT.

Broncos don't scare me. We just gotta play our game and not shoot ourselves. If we can do that, we'll role past them.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
  • Lamar should've had a much better game today. Most of his throws were money throws. Terrible INT and a few missed throws but for the most part, he was money. He could've popped off for one of his bigger games had Hollywood made those catches.
  • Marquise Brown can never have another game like this ever again. I don't think the 2nd drop was a TD but the other two were catches he absolutely should have made. I don't think I've ever seen a player with more pivotal drops in a game.
  • Patrick Queen is off to a disappointing start this season. He was awful in this game with some of his angles and gap disciple. It doesn't seem like his I.Q is there and he plays undisciplined. I'm worried about him.
  • Sammy Watkins has been a fantastic signing and a massive upgrade, he made a couple of big catches there and his 4th-19 catch was massive, I just wish he got out of bounds but given the win, I'll gladly accept the big play.
  • Defense played well overall given how depleted they are. I can't complain too much outside of the terrible angles and tackling.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
A few things.

Teams are likely going to try and play us similarly, just totally selling out to stop the run. We proved we are CAPABLE of beating teams that play like that. I would just say we're not polished in that area and need to get better. Which we will with practice.
I don't think this is a recipe for teams. We would be having a different discussion if Hollywood made those catches. Even without those, we had some big plays today. I thought Roman called a really good game personally but players failed to execute. I hope

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that was before both drops - yeah after that big gainer he had it looked like he took himself off the field - but then he rinsed the Lions CB on the next drive (iirc) on the first drop
I thought that tackle looked ugly af and I think the ankle played a part, he got rolled up good and immediately limped off and was back like 2 plays later and the drops began

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar was really good today. His stats are not indicative of how well he played. Amazing what happens when he has time to throw the ball. We give the O line a lot of grief but that’s two straight weeks of good football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Hall of Famer
I swear I saw Hollywood limping a tiny bit at one point during the game.
First catch he made along the sidelines the defender fell on his ankle, Hollywood took himself out after the play. Didn’t seem to hamper his play though.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
That game was a rollercoaster of emotions. I do believe the struggles of our defense is because the defensive line just isn't overpowering the offensive lines. Then obviously when you lose several of those defensive linemen, it hurts more which was why they were successful on the ground with Swift. It did seem our defense didn't really struggle but as soon as Hayes got injured and left, it opened the door for the Lions offensively. I do think once our defensive line gets healthy, we'll be even better and Queen will play better. A linebacker is only as good as the defensive line is. When the line takes control of the game it opens the door for linebackers to make plays. Hopefully Marquis just had a bad game and once Bateman and Boyd get back, our offense really opens up. I said it last week, if not for the injuries I think this season was heading toward something special. Not saying it can't be still but 2-1 with half the team on IR, I'll take it.

Oh and.... You can't spell MVP without JUSTIN F'N TUCKER! NEW NFL RECORD....

giphy.gif

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I need Hollywood focused. With him it's not a matter of IF because we've all seen his big games and potential play out. He needs to fucking focus

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
These are the close wins that we had to win. Last week, our running game was not to be trifled with. Not the case today. I don't expect these kind of performances to repeat themselves week after week.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ugly game but got the W. Offense actually had a lot going in the passing game but Hollywood dropped the ball literally and figuratively. Not much going in the running game today but they also didn't have much a commitment to it with how the game was playing out. Lamar did look a little more antsy in the pocket than usual but he put together a really good day throwing the ball sans the INT and a few misses.

Defense did alright all things considered. Thought the young guys (particularly Washington and McKenzie) did well filling in. Edge guys were shorthanded and you could tell that impacted what they were able to do. ILBs were pretty bad today. Secondary was eh.

But JUSTIN MOTHERFUCKING TUCKER saves the day!

Washington for sure was really good especially with how many snaps he had to play
McKenzie had that 1 nice play

guys stepped up in difficult circumstances - and eeked out the win

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On Twitter :

I’m worried about Queen . Mosley was much better

While Mosley was a raven he was 100% the most underappreciated Raven by the fanbase - he was constantly ragged on because he occasionally lost to TEs in man coverage (as if that doesnt happen to every LB including the best lol) but he was exceptional - one of the smartest guys to play for the ravens ever and always did the unsung stuff that made everyone else around him better - he had that Ray Lewis-esque ability to affect crossers and be physical over the middle to make the lives of the DBs a million times easier

it's notable that when we finally had a secondary with him at LB in 2018, that defence was awesome in Wink's first year... he literally designed that defence with CJ and Weddle and Suggs's input and around their skillsets

i really wish the jets hadn't thrown that market resetting contract at CJ because Wink's defence is 100% designed for a guy like CJ to feast especially with his ability to disguise and drop perfectly in zone

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The defense just needs to find a way to be be better all around. It's not just this game. I understand fully we had lots of guys out, but the first 2 weeks as well have been bad. Yes 2 good offenses those other weeks, but they need to be better.

I think you answered your own questions here - first 2 weeks they played 2 of the most high-powered offences in the NFL and this week they were completely depleted in terms of personnel

and even so they held the Lions to 17 points which you'd assume should have been enough (and in the end was just about lol)

and they made enough plays against the chiefs to end the game

they capitulated against the raiders in the 2nd half and you'd hope they'd be better after that

they need to be able to adjust to 2nd half adjustments better but the sky's not falling on defence