• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Passing Game, The Running Game and another OL Injury

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yeah im not fussed about who plays where... we use our guys as matchup weapons anyway - only really marcus peters who's tethered to a particular spot on the field at this point

so many teams's best weapons are TEs or slot receivers anyway - you trust marlon to take away the most important guy on the field on high leverage downs etc. no matter what position they play - just look at the raiders game where we saw him matched up vs waller and renfrow and edwards and ruggs at different points

or look at the chiefs game where averett was left 1v1 in the slot vs Tyreek on 3rd down and blanketed him

if we can find a way to keep all 3, who cares who's playing in the slot...

this offseason i think we get Lamar done and then bozeman, averett and ricard and see where that leaves us after cutting tavon
it'll be tough i think on the cap next year to get all those deals done depending on how we structure lamar's deal

just looking at how much base salary is in MP's deal in the final year - i do wonder whether he's a candidate to be extended depending on how much money he's looking for too...

i dont envy being EDC and Pat Moriarty trying to figure all these deals out
great problem to have.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Would love if we could re-sign Averett, but any chance we could trade him away or tag and trade him.

Curious what trade value we could get back, maybe a 1st? Could be used on a new OLB pass rusher to pair with Oweh or a high level DT to pair with Madubuike to balance out the defense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would love if we could re-sign Averett, but any chance we could trade him away or tag and trade him.

Curious what trade value we could get back, maybe a 1st? Could be used on a new OLB pass rusher to pair with Oweh or a high level DT to pair with Madubuike to balance out the defense.

why would we not keep the corner in this scenario?
and we definitely wont get a 1st round pick for a tagged Averett because he comes with the tag contract which would be a 1 year cap hit for 17m

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

his contract his over at the end of the year. To trade him you'd have to tag him first. You certainly aren't trading him before the trade deadline.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I'm gonna poke the dog a little more on the bringing Ingram back idear. It's not because I think he's any better than what we have, but what we have has no upside. Ingram has upside if he wants to prove something and if you don't think suddenly playing for a team that he feels "dissed" him and is a Playoff team - unlike the outer ring of Hell he's in now, I think you all are mistaken about a Pro athletes desire. Desire - and in his case experience with our club could do wonders for both of us.

Ross - you are not allowed to comment! ^_^ I know you disagree. You disagree with virtually everything I say. lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm gonna poke the dog a little more on the bringing Ingram back idear. It's not because I think he's any better than what we have, but what we have has no upside. Ingram has upside if he wants to prove something and if you don't think suddenly playing for a team that he feels "dissed" him and is a Playoff team - unlike the outer ring of Hell he's in now, I think you all are mistaken about a Pro athletes desire. Desire - and in his case experience with our club could do wonders for both of us.

Ross - you are not allowed to comment! ^_^ I know you disagree. You disagree with virtually everything I say. lol.

haha love that you prefaced it like that lol - i'll stay out of it then except to say i think Murray and Bell have got some juice

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
why would we not keep the corner in this scenario?
and we definitely wont get a 1st round pick for a tagged Averett because he comes with the tag contract which would be a 1 year cap hit for 17m

Mostly cap reasons, Young will be cheaper to keep around than Averett and I'm guessing we may get more back in draft capital for Averett...maybe. Then we'd still have three well above average starters and more resources to spread around the rest of the team.

Having said that I would by no means be sad if they kept Averett and went overkill on our secondary. Interesting decisions for EDC!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mostly cap reasons, Young will be cheaper to keep around than Averett and I'm guessing we may get more back in draft capital for Averett...maybe. Then we'd still have three well above average starters and more resources to spread around the rest of the team.

Having said that I would by no means be sad if they kept Averett and went overkill on our secondary. Interesting decisions for EDC!

i think we've seen that corner is the most important position on this defence since Wink took over - i just think if we can find a way to keep those 3 together that we should do it - and tbh idk that other teams will give us draft capital for someone that we'd have to tag in order to trade... and to even get to that spot we've probably had to cut tavon by then already to accommodate the tag

i dont think a trade can really come into it at that point

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think we've seen that corner is the most important position on this defence since Wink took over - i just think if we can find a way to keep those 3 together that we should do it - and tbh idk that other teams will give us draft capital for someone that we'd have to tag in order to trade... and to even get to that spot we've probably had to cut tavon by then already to accommodate the tag

i dont think a trade can really come into it at that point
Yeah at that point, give me the best cb trio in the league

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

You think a team in the league is giving up a first round pick + a market value contract extension for Anthony Averett?
Like Peters was shipped for a 5th in practically the same situation. And Peters is better than Averett.

If you want trade value that is higher than a comp pick would be (middle round), the time to trade Averett is in the next few weeks, not after the season. His trade value goes to practically zero once the season ends.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You think a team in the league is giving up a first round pick + a market value contract extension for Anthony Averett?
Like Peters was shipped for a 5th in practically the same situation. And Peters is better than Averett.

If you want trade value that is higher than a comp pick would be (middle round), the time to trade Averett is in the next few weeks, not after the season. His trade value goes to practically zero once the season ends.
and he probably ends up being at maximum a 4th round comp, more like a 5th if you ask me. He's not getting Marcus Peters money. I think we are looking at 12m per season.

Maybe they will just try and sign him mid season.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad

and he probably ends up being at maximum a 4th round comp, more like a 5th if you ask me. He's not getting Marcus Peters money. I think we are looking at 12m per season.

Maybe they will just try and sign him mid season.

Good stuff, 12m is less than I thought tbh, not too bad! If we can keep him under the cap (and also keep at least Bozeman) then I'm all for it!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good stuff, 12m is less than I thought tbh, not too bad! If we can keep him under the cap (and also keep at least Bozeman) then I'm all for it!
I'm not convinced he'll get $12M either. Candidly, I don't know what his value is, but I do know that, historically, when we have players like this who are largely unknown league wide, they tend to have less open market value than Ravens fans give them credit for. It'll have a lot of factors, including what the FA Corner market looks like come March.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not convinced he'll get $12M either. Candidly, I don't know what his value is, but I do know that, historically, when we have players like this who are largely unknown league wide, they tend to have less open market value than Ravens fans give them credit for. It'll have a lot of factors, including what the FA Corner market looks like come March.
this is very true, but by the end of the season he could very well be more well known with all the prime time games we are playing this season. Just because it's one season starting doesn't mean he isn't well known outside of Baltimore.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
this is very true, but by the end of the season he could very well be more well known with all the prime time games we are playing this season.
From what i remember, most guys get a pretty penny during free agency regardless if theyre known or not, so long as theyre playing good. other fans may not know them but best believe gm do.. rick wagner, jensen, kruger and even zsmith. Kruger had a few sacks in our playoff run and had his career high in sacks that year i think, so he got paid a decent amount.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From what i remember, most guys get a pretty penny during free agency regardless if theyre known or not, so long as theyre playing good. other fans may not know them but best believe gm do.. rick wagner, jensen, kruger and even zsmith. Kruger had a few sacks in our playoff run and had his career high in sacks that year i think, so he got paid a decent amount.
good point, these players got paid very well and Jensen only started at center for one season and got top dollar.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is very true, but by the end of the season he could very well be more well known with all the prime time games we are playing this season. Just because it's one season starting doesn't mean he isn't well known outside of Baltimore.
Right but that requires him to a) play well in those games and b) typically, make splash plays.

My basis for the thought process is mostly the prices in the market currently. The Peters and Gilmore's and Bradberry's of the world, who I think are clearly better and are more established, are making $14-15M a year. Even Joe Haden is under $12M.

The salary cap certainly isn't going to shoot up that high, because they're still going to be clawing back losses from 2020 with no fans, so I'm not expecting this massive cap increase that's going to drive prices way up.

In addition, I would argue that it's probably never been easier to find good Corners in the draft. The draft in the last 5-6 years has churned out a TON of really good Corners. You're seeing them drafted early and often, and a lot of them are succeeding and doing so quickly. If you compare/contrast that to, for example, offensive lineman, it's night/day. If I'm an NFL franchise, I'm willing to overpay an Olineman much more than I am a Corner, because I like my chances a lot more of getting solid play for the latter than the former, based on the quality of product coming out of college.