• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Passing Game, The Running Game and another OL Injury

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If any good thing came out of the RB situation, its that the Ravens have been forced to develop more of a passing game. And it's working! And with all the various injuries on the team as a whole, they're being forced to play their 2nd yr guys and rookies, which Harbaugh always seems reluctant to do- and for the most part, that's also working. Proche would never be out there catching passes if the running game was intact. And they'd trade him away next year and he'd be a star for another team.

I mean harbs has been pretty good over the last 3-4 years of getting guys in the team earlier and earlier or at least getting them reps and especially being open to guys improving through the year which is why you get guys like Chuck Clark taking over the dimebacker role as a 6th round rookie... he was slow to get Orlando in the lineup and it took Joe's injury to get Lamar in (which tbf is a very difficult decision to make to bench the superbowl hero for the rookie) but otherwise he's been good at getting rookies involved early...

look at Tyre and Madubuike and even Harrison and broderick washington last year - as well as giving JK the reins at RB after midseason
look at brandon stephens and the rotation we've got going with ben cleveland this year

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I mean harbs has been pretty good over the last 3-4 years of getting guys in the team earlier and earlier or at least getting them reps and especially being open to guys improving through the year which is why you get guys like Chuck Clark taking over the dimebacker role as a 6th round rookie... he was slow to get Orlando in the lineup and it took Joe's injury to get Lamar in (which tbf is a very difficult decision to make to bench the superbowl hero for the rookie) but otherwise he's been good at getting rookies involved early...

look at Tyre and Madubuike and even Harrison and broderick washington last year - as well as giving JK the reins at RB after midseason
look at brandon stephens and the rotation we've got going with ben cleveland this year
Do you think Cleveland would be in there if Tyre wasn't hurt? Do you think Harrison would play as much if Fort was healthy? Or Wahington replacing Wolfe? Or Stephenson replacing Elliot?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do you think Cleveland would be in there if Tyre wasn't hurt? Do you think Harrison would play as much if Fort was healthy? Or Wahington replacing Wolfe? Or Stephenson replacing Elliot?

i think harrison was starting over LJ Fort and Fort would be part of the rotation in the same way that josh bynes and chris board are getting snaps...
washington is getting used sporadically but he was playing in week 1 of the 2020 season despite being a 5th round pick
i dont think cleveland's playing if Tyre isnt hurt but I don't think he should be either... my point is that harbs is giving cleveland snaps to help him get ready quicker despite the fact that he's clearly not ready yet...
and brandon stephens has been playing dime in all the first 3 games and replaced elliot against the broncos but he's still been playing 20 snaps a game on defence even after jimmy came back from injury...

what more do you want?

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
i think harrison was starting over LJ Fort and Fort would be part of the rotation in the same way that josh bynes and chris board are getting snaps...
washington is getting used sporadically but he was playing in week 1 of the 2020 season despite being a 5th round pick
i dont think cleveland's playing if Tyre isnt hurt but I don't think he should be either... my point is that harbs is giving cleveland snaps to help him get ready quicker despite the fact that he's clearly not ready yet...
and brandon stephens has been playing dime in all the first 3 games and replaced elliot against the broncos but he's still been playing 20 snaps a game on defence even after jimmy came back from injury...

what more do you want?

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I couldn't agree more. With truly competent receivers now and proper usage of them, I think it's time to force Lamar to use his vision, brain and arm. I saw Steve Young going nuts talking about how truly great Lamar could be if he was forced to do such a thing.

Personally I prefer the run game, it's just so much more satisfying to run the ball through and around another team. But, I suspect the answer here is that we are best (as with most things) with a balance of the two, with both sides of the offense running at full tilt. I'm guessing we won't see that until next season, but daaamn it'll be a show!

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Steve Young's a massive hater of lamar and has been for ages - he's only saying that stuff because he doesnt want to give lamar as he is right now credit as a passer

One of the things I've seen was the day after the Chiefs game. He was talking about how his own focus on passing drastically improved his game. He said Lamar could become an/the (I can't remember which article he used) "all time great" if he focuses more on his passing. Suzy Kolber was talking about all of the great players that were on the field for both teams and that Lamar was the best of all. Young replied, "by far. By far!" I'm not sure what you've seen to think he's a Lamar hater. I've seen just the opposite that and other times.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I don't have much of a problem with what they have been doing in the passing game. I think if that continues to develop and the running game and the RB's continue to grow too, by the time we get to December, we may have an OFF that no one knows how to deal with.

I still think Ingram is a trade target, if for nothing else than his experience with the option game and his familiarity with Lamar. Plus, given the boost of confidence in obtaining him, I think he'd show a lot more - - - some more - - - than what he's showing now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One of the things I've seen was the day after the Chiefs game. He was talking about how his own focus on passing drastically improved his game. He said Lamar could become an/the (I can't remember which article he used) "all time great" if he focuses more on his passing. Suzy Kolber was talking about all of the great players that were on the field for both teams and that Lamar was the best of all. Young replied, "by far. By far!" I'm not sure what you've seen to think he's a Lamar hater. I've seen just the opposite that and other times.

i mean that's this time but every time before this he's ever been asked to talk about lamar he's been hating on him as a passer and talking about the same "sustainability" stuff that everyone else touts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't have much of a problem with what they have been doing in the passing game. I think if that continues to develop and the running game and the RB's continue to grow too, by the time we get to December, we may have an OFF that no one knows how to deal with.

I still think Ingram is a trade target, if for nothing else than his experience with the option game and his familiarity with Lamar. Plus, given the boost of confidence in obtaining him, I think he'd show a lot more - - - some more - - - than what he's showing now.

we saw what ingram looked like in this running game last year - and he's an extra year older now...

he doesn't have it - there's no point running the option with him if he doesnt have the ability to burst out of the mesh point

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

I am fully against trading for Ingram. I'd even be against signing him at all. He's done.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
How do you feel about the Freeman signing?

Freeman is either on or past the same level of “doneness” that Ingram is on. All the injuries robbed Freeman of what had been/could have been a pretty dang good career

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No idea why but keyvon seymour was playing snaps on the last drive lol - not sure but maybe i missed something but he replaced Tavon for the last snap of the previous drive and then played the whole final drive

but also interestingly is that jimmy smith didnt play a single snap on that final drive either...

for some reason marlon was playing the slot and seymour was playing outside corner

i dont get it haha

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
No idea why but keyvon seymour was playing snaps on the last drive lol - not sure but maybe i missed something but he replaced Tavon for the last snap of the previous drive and then played the whole final
but also interestingly is that jimmy smith didnt play a single snap on that final drive either...

for some reason marlon was playing the slot and seymour was playing outside corner

i dont get it haha
Possible trying to give Seymour experience,and preventing injuries to Smith, just in case....