• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Defense and The Comeback

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also worth noting that probably the biggest criticism i had of Oweh through the first couple of weeks was a bit of a later get-off at times

looks like he worked hard on it before this colts game - he was timing up that snap count and was frequently flying off the snap

He timed that shit perfectly and was immediately all over Wentz. I almost thought he was offsides with how well he timed it. This kid is looking special.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He timed that shit perfectly and was immediately all over Wentz. I almost thought he was offsides with how well he timed it. This kid is looking special.

wasnt the only time he had a great get off

i think what's most exciting about him is that each game it seems like he's adding something else to his repertoire

week 1 we saw some speed and hands and outside arc but his counters were late or unplanned or ineffective
week 2 we saw him work on and bring in a spin move and inside move
week 4 we saw him use his length and long-arm to get a sack
week 5 we saw him time the snap and time his get-off

keeps adding tools to his toolkit

Old Bay

Veteran

wasnt the only time he had a great get off

i think what's most exciting about him is that each game it seems like he's adding something else to his repertoire

week 1 we saw some speed and hands and outside arc but his counters were late or unplanned or ineffective
week 2 we saw him work on and bring in a spin move and inside move
week 4 we saw him use his length and long-arm to get a sack
week 5 we saw him time the snap and time his get-off

keeps adding tools to his toolkit

I'm starting to think that it's a blessing that he didn't have any sacks his last year at Penn State. He's obviously a physical freak, and I believe if he had better numbers, he might not have even been available at our selection.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Also worth noting that probably the biggest criticism i had of Oweh through the first couple of weeks was a bit of a later get-off at times

looks like he worked hard on it before this colts game - he was timing up that snap count and was frequently flying off the snap
He learns so fast it’s insane, he just decides he wants to improve on something, and the next week it seems like he’s doing it at a solid pro level.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to think that it's a blessing that he didn't have any sacks his last year at Penn State. He's obviously a physical freak, and I believe if he had better numbers, he might not have even been available at our selection.
I think just 2 sacks would’ve had him in the top 20 easy

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar's pocket movement to create time for himself yesterday was incredible - he had the 1 play where he took a fraction too long and his arm got hit on the release but otherwise his poise and pocket movement was elite - he's always had an innate feel and good footwork but in 2020 at times looked uncomfortable with a poor OL - well he still hasnt got a great OL but I think his understanding of where the weak-points are and where the pressure's going to come from are much improved

JAAM

Hall of Famer

saw this one live - not sure ty'son has any role on this team - he's just not seeing the field well enough

I had such high hopes for the Python :(

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why such a dropoff in run blocking from

BB, PM, BP --> BP, BB, KZ?

orlando brown jr at tackle on 1 side and flicker/Phillips on the other

we use our tackles to down block a ton when running power and then comboing to the 2nd level but we’re just not getting guys moved off the ball

also it’s partly down to the way teams are defending us too

I think also we’ve lost something with Bozeman at C - we’re not pulling the LG so much with as much efficiency although powers has been ok at it - but also it’s about missing nick Boyle

but mostly I think it’s more about our tackles - both of our current tackles are much less ferocious and aggressive run blockers than last year’s season ending pair

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
orlando brown jr at tackle on 1 side and flicker/Phillips on the other

we use our tackles to down block a ton when running power and then comboing to the 2nd level but we’re just not getting guys moved off the ball

also it’s partly down to the way teams are defending us too

I think also we’ve lost something with Bozeman at C - we’re not pulling the LG so much with as much efficiency although powers has been ok at it - but also it’s about missing nick Boyle

but mostly I think it’s more about our tackles - both of our current tackles are much less ferocious and aggressive run blockers than last year’s season ending pair

The news on Stanley and Boyle has been literally radio silence. Don't love that.

Also, does Tyree have the ability to be THAT guy at LG or is it still speculation?

If Stanley does come back, what happens at RT? Keep Mekari and AV becomes swing, or AV back to RT and Mekari back to jack of all trades?

Does Colon have the ability to be an upgrade at LG?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think - as with every week so far - we over-reacted a little on Patrick Queen - he only missed 1 tackle I think the whole game yesterday... despite that we were ragging on him for missing tackles all day lol

As I’ve thought throughout the early part of the season he’s much better in coverage than last year

yes he’s still too hesitant at times and occasionally misreads but I can say with confidence he was not the problem vs the colts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The news on Stanley and Boyle has been literally radio silence. Don't love that.

Also, does Tyree have the ability to be THAT guy at LG or is it still speculation?

If Stanley does come back, what happens at RT? Keep Mekari and AV becomes swing, or AV back to RT and Mekari back to jack of all trades?

Does Colon have the ability to be an upgrade at LG?

stanley is completely absent and no idea what’s going on with him - we’ll see when we see I guess - not seen anything of him yet

but nick Boyle I have to think is not too far away given that he’s on the sideline and in the locker room conspicuously all the time at the moment - feels like he must be closeish to coming back

tyre it is speculation somewhat because we hardly saw any of him at guard in preseason and he went out halfway through week 1 - I think he will be an upgrade there but not convinced the coaches will trust him to stay healthy

i was impressed by the few snaps colon played in relief of Zeitler when watching the broadcast but haven’t watched the coaches film of the OL yet

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Freeman came in clutch on those catches last night. Him and Lamar were on a roll. I’d still like to see a trade for someone cheap though. I see Marlon Mack on here a lot. That would be fantastic