• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Defense and The Comeback

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Thought it was funny when they were talking about the DPI that they kept going to Parry and he just wasn’t replying for the most part. Think he had a couple of quick like 3-4 word answers. No analysis at all lol

i wonder if he was unable to say anything because he had the same visual feed as the rest of us - i got the impression on the DPI that they went to him and he hadnt seen the play (just like us)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love how ppl say Lamar can’t do it in the playoffs tho and josh allen beat him as if allen didn’t score just 10 points at home

and as if he literally was 1 OL breakdown and 1 poor decision away from tying that game up

3 consecutive turned and ended that game - the Dobbins/Tyre protection muck up that stopped lamar getting the ball to hollywood for the TD, the pick 6, the bad snap that knocked lamar out of the game

and even then we were a yard away from huntley connecting with hollywood on a TD bomb that would have got the game close at the end

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For real, does this mean we’ll be seeing Bell more?

i hope so - feels like that was ty'son's last chance

and especially if we're gonna be this pass heavy it makes sense for Bell to be up - Freeman did well yesterday but Bell also offers something on 3rd down with pass pro and route running but also looked like he had some juice in his cuts against the broncos

id be surprised if bell's not up against the chargers

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
and as if he literally was 1 OL breakdown and 1 poor decision away from tying that game up

3 consecutive turned and ended that game - the Dobbins/Tyre protection muck up that stopped lamar getting the ball to hollywood for the TD, the pick 6, the bad snap that knocked lamar out of the game

and even then we were a yard away from huntley connecting with hollywood on a TD bomb that would have got the game close at the end

Yea my god, Lamar didn’t even play the last quarter

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

And as if multiple early drives didn’t stall due to well placed dropped balls that bounced right out of their hands. And as if we didn’t have 3 missed field goals.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And as if multiple early drives didn’t stall due to well placed dropped balls that bounced right out of their hands. And as if we didn’t have 3 missed field goals.

it's like the titans game all over again - people are like lamar couldnt do anything in the playoffs and yes he threw the 2 picks but he also 500+ yards of total offence despite his receivers dropping crucial balls

when people watch lamar lose it's like the stop actually being able to comprehend what they're watching - like a fog comes over their brain and they start seeing stuff that's not there

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think this game (and the first 5 games this season as a totality) are showing us that we should have absolutely no doubts about lamar's ability to adapt and change his game to match his athleticism - absolutely no one should be worried about giving him a majorly long-term deal at this point

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok so I think the “ ran out of gas” argument deserves more merit when you look at our offensive drives. Even the FG was not a lengthy drive.
1. 3 plays punt 1:38
2. 3 plays punt 1:40
3. 5 plays punt 3:31
4. 6 plays punt 3:57
5. 9 plays FG 2:49

I also think it’s fair to judge the defense differently than the offense as they have no X factor like Lamar. No one expected this defense to be great. We all knew coming in there would be minimal pass rush and then on top of that lost an all pro CB

I felt the only reason we’re in a position for a come back was the defense. No argument they were terrible in the 2nd half but it certainly didn’t surprise me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ju
But they also didn't score a lot after those drives. Most of the scoring drives came at well rested points. Two of their TDs came on play #3 to start the game, and play #2 after halftime. Also accounted for like 1/3 of their total yardage. If anything, the argument is that rested vs not rested didn't matter to the defense last night.

I don't expect the defense to be great. It also doesn't require greatness to do better than what they showed last night, and against what has been a very limited offense. I would expect all 32 NFL defenses and about half of College DI programs to be able to execute fundamental tackles, which we didn't do last night. I'm not sure anybody can argue that's not a reasonable expectation.

Good, fundamental tackling is the baseline just to be average. Not to be great. Just to be average. The only legitimate "wins" for this defense is that they held their opponents to less points than their yardage output would probably expect, which was also attributable to a miss kicked and a great ST play by Campbell, and a couple individual great plays on defense.

And, in terms of defensive expectations, there's a good chunk of $ being spent on defensive lineman who got owned up front last night, and on the secondary in particular, who have not lived up to those marks last night or even all season.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I SEEN THE DOUBT IN SOME OF YALL FINGERS LAST NIGHT WHEN TYPING.

TRUST....OUR BOY....

Offense came alive once we just let Lamar run the show and stop running the ball the way we normally would. Oddly enough.

Tank

Hall of Famer
For whatever reason I think Lamar was way off his game in the first half, even stumbling and lacking awareness when running. I knew things would get better 2nd half.

The opponent “injuries” after big plays are becoming too common place not to be noticed. Obvious attempts to break rhythm and momentum.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yet again Pat Mekari grading out well according to PFF - he's been a revelation at RT in this swing role
We've come a long way from week 1 where all anybody was worried about was protecting Lamar.
It may not be a team strength, but we've got much bigger issues that I see than pass protection at this point.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I'll bang on Lamar last night a little bit also. Ball security needs to improve. Its one thing to get punched out by a defender making a great play. His lost fumble last night was just carelessness. And it's not the first.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also, I'll bang on Lamar last night a little bit also. Ball security needs to improve. Its one thing to get punched out by a defender making a great play. His lost fumble last night was just carelessness. And it's not the first.

it was frustrating for 2 reasons - 1) because it was careless as you say but 2) because it was the wrong read in the first place and the OL had finally got a push and murray probably strolls in behind that IOL