• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Bad, The Ugly - Chargers Edition

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is what I said. He got hurt. Missed some series. Came back. Then they had him out for at least the drive in the 4th once the game was over (likely out of safety).
Ahhh maybe I misread you then, no worries! Sounded differently when I read it.
I wish Lamar had another big day with his arm but I’m happy with the dub
He should have it not for the egregious drop from Brown but it happens with every QB.
Maybe it was the 17, lol
That may be it honestly. It still doesn’t feel right

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
8 while certainly not terrible, didn’t play so hot either.
Lamar was deadly in the first quarter, after that it seemed like the chargers changed up defensively to bring more pressure and the line was folding in pass pro, and earlier in the game Lamar was scrambling well, in the second he suddenly stopped.

one thing I wish Lamar would stop doing is trying to step up into a collapsed pocket instead of rolling out. He really does try too hard to be a pocket passer sometimes

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Brandon Stephens looks like he’s gonna be really special, if he looks like this as a first year safety and only 2nd year defender, his first year in the nfl, then man once he actually develops he’s gonna be dirty af

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Snap counts from yesterday indicate a couple things:
1. Not much "easing" of Bateman back in. He played 65% of snaps. Only six snaps less than Hollywood, and 11 snaps more than Duvernay. Will see how they balance when Watkins comes back, but it's pretty clear he's the #2-3 WR in this offense right away.
2. Ravens aren't waiting around to improve the inside linebacking performance. Josh Bynes played 77% of snaps (among the highest in the front seven) and both he and Board played more defensive snaps than Harrison (14) and Queen (19). Some of this could be gameflow specific, with Queen missing part of the game with injury and the Chargers being basically pass-only in the 2nd half, but the noticeable drop in playing time for Queen should be a wake up call, especially against pass-heavy offenses.
Also slightly concerned about the high snap counts for Campbell, who played 44 snaps yesterday. I get why it's needed, but I don't want to see him wear down as the season goes on. Would probably prefer to see a better distribution of snaps on the Dline. Madubuike only saw 25 snaps, for example.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Not much "easing" of Bateman back in. He played 65% of snaps. Only six snaps less than Hollywood, and 11 snaps more than Duvernay. Will see how they balance when Watkins comes back, but it's pretty clear he's the #2-3 WR in this offense right away.
2. Ravens aren't waiting around to improve the inside linebacking performance. Josh Bynes played 77% of snaps (among the highest in the front seven) and both he and Board played more defensive snaps than Harrison (14) and Queen (19). Some of this could be gameflow specific, with Queen missing part of the game with injury and the Chargers being basically pass-only in the 2nd half, but the noticeable drop in playing time for Queen should be a wake up call, especially against pass-heavy offenses.
Also slightly concerned about the high snap counts for Campbell, who played 44 snaps yesterday. I get why it's needed, but I don't want to see him wear down as the season goes on. Would probably prefer to see a better distribution of snaps on the Dline. Madubuike only saw 25 snaps, for example.
I think we will see more of Bynes and Board and less of Queen for awhile. Queen played better yesterday but still the dude was a 1st round pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we will see more of Bynes and Board and less of Queen for awhile. Queen played better yesterday but still the dude was a 1st round pick.
Board is the wildcard. Coaching staff pretty much indicated they're skeptical of seeing high defensive snaps for Board because he's such a core ST player and they don't want to risk injury.
Bynes will be seeing high snaps it seems going forward.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean Queen was playing his normal snap count until he got hurt then came back in the second half and they kept him out for the long drive the Chargers had in the 4th when the game was out of reach. As much as I do not like Queen this was basically the equivalent of the team pulling an older starter when the game is over except in this case its a sore starter who you want for next week.

Whether you believe in him or not (I do not) there is zero sane reason to actually play Queen in that game once it has become out of reach.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Although Queen only played 19 snaps, he had a very good game. Here are his PFF numbers.

He was in on 6 run defense snaps, 12 coverage snaps and 1 snap where he provided pressure. We need to stack these good games.

• 90.5 was his overall defensive grade
  • 66.3 is his run defense grade (60 is considered avg)
  • 76.8 was tackling
  • 60.0 is his pressure grade
  • 86.9 coverage

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean Queen was playing his normal snap count until he got hurt then came back in the second half and they kept him out for the long drive the Chargers had in the 4th when the game was out of reach. As much as I do not like Queen this was basically the equivalent of the team pulling an older starter when the game is over except in this case its a sore starter who you want for next week.

Whether you believe in him or not (I do not) there is zero sane reason to actually play Queen in that game once it has become out of reach.
I'd have to look at the breakdown of snaps. He didn't appear to be out that long with the injury to me. I understand the notion of potentially resting him late in the game, BUT, I'm also not really buying that too much either, considering we rested virtually nobody else late in the game either, including guys like Elliott, who had been out with injuries already.
I was actually advocating for us to put guys like Harrison and Queen back out there in late in the game so they could get reps in pass coverage, because that's where they've been primarily struggling. Only a one game sample, but I didn't see a stark increase/decrease in production between Queen, Harrison, or somebody like Bynes being more involved. That tells me I'm not shying away from a player late in a game out of fear of injury, because I'd argue they're simply not that critical to the defense at this point.

Simba

Staff Member
I know we all get on Queen but Harrison has probably been the worse player in recent weeks. He just doesn't catch as much heat because he's not a 1st rounder. But anyways, it very well could be that replacing Harrison with Bynes paid off a bit more. Queen didn't play as much yesterday obviously, but looked significantly better and I wonder if having the vet next to him instead of another young guy taking his lumps was a real godsend.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lamar was deadly in the first quarter, after that it seemed like the chargers changed up defensively to bring more pressure and the line was folding in pass pro, and earlier in the game Lamar was scrambling well, in the second he suddenly stopped.

one thing I wish Lamar would stop doing is trying to step up into a collapsed pocket instead of rolling out. He really does try too hard to be a pocket passer sometimes
I was telling my self the same shyt yesterday man.. especially when chargers were doing that little delayed blitz with the lb.. once playoffs come, i wanna see him scramble more. He needs to take what they give him that way it keeps thr defenders on their toes

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am really hoping once Wolfe comes back we can reduce Campbell's snap count some & rotate him & Madubuike more with a starting line-up of Wolfe | Williams | Campbell and then rotate the other guys in more. Feel like we have to rotate other guys and play other guys more without Wolfe. Any idea on when he returns?

I know we all get on Queen but Harrison has probably been the worse player in recent weeks. He just doesn't catch as much heat because he's not a 1st rounder. But anyways, it very well could be that replacing Harrison with Bynes paid off a bit more. Queen didn't play as much yesterday obviously, but looked significantly better and I wonder if having the vet next to him instead of another young guy taking his lumps was a real godsend.
Harrison has definitely been worse, Queen just gets more attention because of his draft pedigree as you say.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don't disagree. Just nobody generally cares if you bench a 4th round LB who was never great in pass coverage anyway. They do care when you have to discuss reduced snaps or benching both him AND a first round linebacker, who's playing worse this year than he has the previous two years.
Again, one game sample of Bynes, but Bynes playing better than Harrison isn't that surprising. Bynes playing better than Queen is a problem long-term.
One thing I'm certain of is that upgrading at LB is very much going to be a priority in the offseason. Doesn't mean they'll get rid of Queen, but I expect that, barring some surge by him, they will by no means just hand him a starting job again this offseason. He'll have to earn it through competition with probably both draft picks and veterans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

He also needs to learn how to throw the ball away sooner. He took at least one, and maybe two sacks yesterday, where he had ample time to throw the ball away and not take a huge loss. I understand he's going to scramble more than most QBs and try to get his way out of a sack situation, but there's times where he clearly needs to see that he's not escaping, and he's either getting sacked or the ball needs to be thrown away.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think a lot with queen and Harrison just has to do with offenses being ahead of their learning curves, queen and Harrison are both one dimensional players, and queen is also very inexperienced in general, they put out a years worth of film and offenses see things from 2 young and incomplete players and are targeting them.

it’s now on them to adjust, and our coaches as well, it’s part of the ebbs and flows of football sometimes, young players take their lumps. I’m not writing them off just yet, queen was encouraging yesterday especially.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think a lot with queen and Harrison just has to do with offenses being ahead of their learning curves, queen and Harrison are both one dimensional players, and queen is also very inexperienced in general, they put out a years worth of film and offenses see things from 2 young and incomplete players and are targeting them.

it’s now on them to adjust, and our coaches as well, it’s part of the ebbs and flows of football sometimes, young players take their lumps. I’m not writing them off just yet, queen was encouraging yesterday especially.

I just think Queen feels much more comfortable and thus doesn't think nearly as much when there's a veteran out there with him. He hunts more instead of hesitating.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Deshon Elliott is a goddamn fool btw, he said “we were gonna give it all to them, pause” in his press conference lmfaooooo