• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Bad, The Ugly - Chargers Edition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know we all get on Queen but Harrison has probably been the worse player in recent weeks. He just doesn't catch as much heat because he's not a 1st rounder. But anyways, it very well could be that replacing Harrison with Bynes paid off a bit more. Queen didn't play as much yesterday obviously, but looked significantly better and I wonder if having the vet next to him instead of another young guy taking his lumps was a real godsend.

he just looked more confident

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is the big thing. He didn't play poorly by any stretch but he missed a couple of easy throws that would have turned this into another really good game for him. Not his best but far from his worst.
Agreed, had it been a close game those misses could have been the difference between winning and losing.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean that's just one of those things you have to accept will happen with lamar - because sometimes that's where the big play comes from his ability to hold the ball longer than other QBs - it's the same with deshaun watson who takes a lot of sacks too
Right, but I guess my point is there's times where taking a sack is inevitable, and there's times where he has the ability to get rid of the ball, and he opts not to. It's about knowing what limitations you have and what you don't have.
Like there's times where guys like Lamar and Watson will get "sacked" because they flee the pocket, go backwards, then scramble their way back towards the line of scrimmage before being tackled for a small loss (like 2-3 yards). I'm 100% OK with those.
I'll go back and isolate, but I believe the one I'm probably thinking of was right after the Chargers failed 4th down attempt on their own 40 about halfway through 2nd quarter. Lamar takes like a 10 yard sack on 1st down, which not only now makes it 2nd and 20, but also pushes you out of FG range. We ended up getting that yardage back and getting the FG anyway, but that's one of those things against a better defense that's going to be the difference between points or no points, or maybe a TD vs no TD.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i wonder if some of it was down to him playing a lot of "x" which has predominantly been sammy watkins in previous games - duvernay and proche don't really play that position and while boykin had some snaps on offence this week they dont trust him at that spot either

think the snaps are partly related to game flow - noticed that campbell was coming on the field a lot for passing downs and many times subbing in for madubuike - think that was partly just a byproduct of the heavy passing game
Agreed on Bateman. Zero percent chances he plays that many snaps in his first game if Watkins is available. Just interesting though that he played more than Duvernay, even if Duvernay isn't a typical X receiver.

I agree Campbell was probably playing more in passing downs, but I guess that's kind of my point... I don't know that I want him playing that high level of snaps, especially as a pass rusher. Just felt like our Dline rotation was quite a bit off in this game for some reason. I guess once they go Dime late they're likely in 2 Dlineman packages anyway.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
they think board is the best coverage linebacker on the team right now - he's playing mostly in dime packages
Interesting thing to read for those that read Ken's weekly defensive notes and reactions:
https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/defensive-notes-week6-2021-chargers/

Basically, he thinks Queen may be headed for gameday inactivation, possibly as soon as this week.
  • He was the guy who didn't hustle enough to get off the field on that 12 man penalty (I didn't see who the culprit was live in-game), but I do recall John being super pissed about it.
  • It's clear Bynes is going to take over as the primary ILB, with Board playing on obvious passing downs.
  • They value Welch as a core ST, meaning he likely keeps a gameday roster spot.
  • He doesn't think the Ravens will continue to activate 5 ILBs each week. They only dressed 4 DLineman and 4 actual Corners on Sunday, and that could have been gameplan/opponent specific.
Factoring in all of that, it would seem possible that either Queen or Harrison is a gameday inactive. And Queen is the only one of those two who doesn't play ST.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right, but I guess my point is there's times where taking a sack is inevitable, and there's times where he has the ability to get rid of the ball, and he opts not to. It's about knowing what limitations you have and what you don't have.
Like there's times where guys like Lamar and Watson will get "sacked" because they flee the pocket, go backwards, then scramble their way back towards the line of scrimmage before being tackled for a small loss (like 2-3 yards). I'm 100% OK with those.
I'll go back and isolate, but I believe the one I'm probably thinking of was right after the Chargers failed 4th down attempt on their own 40 about halfway through 2nd quarter. Lamar takes like a 10 yard sack on 1st down, which not only now makes it 2nd and 20, but also pushes you out of FG range. We ended up getting that yardage back and getting the FG anyway, but that's one of those things against a better defense that's going to be the difference between points or no points, or maybe a TD vs no TD.

but partly that's why i think he can take those chances - because in many cases we're ripping off chunks especially when teams back off to the sticks on those long down and distances on early downs

but also i dont think we saw any of those types of sacks against the chargers...

if the sack you're talking about is the one i think it is then it's the one that starts at 4:11 in this video

and there's nothing lamar can do there except try and escape and the defender does well to corral him

he even saved a sack earlier in the game (his first incompletion) by managing to the throw the ball away while being nearly sacked

Simba

Staff Member
Interesting thing to read for those that read Ken's weekly defensive notes and reactions:

Basically, he thinks Queen may be headed for gameday inactivation, possibly as soon as this week.
  • He was the guy who didn't hustle enough to get off the field on that 12 man penalty (I didn't see who the culprit was live in-game), but I do recall John being super pissed about it.
  • It's clear Bynes is going to take over as the primary ILB, with Board playing on obvious passing downs.
  • He doesn't think the Ravens will continue to activate 5 ILBs each week. They only dressed 4 DLineman and 4 actual Corners on Sunday, and that could have been gameplan/opponent specific.
Factoring in all of that, it would seem possible that either Queen or Harrison is a gameday inactive. And Queen is the only one of those two who doesn't play ST.

While I don't completely disagree, Ken does sometimes overthink things. Not always strictly a numbers game... we had times just a few years ago where we had like 12 active DBs and went super light at other positions. But again, I also wouldn't be completely shocked if Queen is in street clothes soon.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed on Bateman. Zero percent chances he plays that many snaps in his first game if Watkins is available. Just interesting though that he played more than Duvernay, even if Duvernay isn't a typical X receiver.

I agree Campbell was probably playing more in passing downs, but I guess that's kind of my point... I don't know that I want him playing that high level of snaps, especially as a pass rusher. Just felt like our Dline rotation was quite a bit off in this game for some reason. I guess once they go Dime late they're likely in 2 Dlineman packages anyway.

harbs said in his presser today that they weren't planning on him playing that many snaps but it just happened with the game flow

in terms of substitutions - partly that's going to be about being short at DL and EDGE (by choice) with the inactives: ellis, washington and ferguson inactive

and i dont mind that many snaps for campbell if there're lots of pass rushing snaps in there - it's much less physically tiring rushing upfield than it is trying to hold your ground vs run blocks - obviously you'd like the load to be less but unless he's stuck in the game in lots of no huddle/hurry up then im not too concerned when we're playing high volume passing

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hell of a game. Nice to see Bateman. Looks like we got a 3 headed safety monster. Our oline was super and TCC showed he can handle center very well. And what can you say about Josh "Super Glue" Bynes. Nice to sit and watch a blowout that I thought was gonna be super close.

My only nitpick besides Lamar missing a couple throws was the 1st half 2 minute drill. 2 sacks and my man The Porsche not getting a duly deserved TD. Also what was up with the Chargers coach and his analytics? Lucky only 2 FG's were scored cuz of his stupididness.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I would bet my house that he isn’t inactive next week.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
harbs said in his presser today that they weren't planning on him playing that many snaps but it just happened with the game flow

in terms of substitutions - partly that's going to be about being short at DL and EDGE (by choice) with the inactives: ellis, washington and ferguson inactive

and i dont mind that many snaps for campbell if there're lots of pass rushing snaps in there - it's much less physically tiring rushing upfield than it is trying to hold your ground vs run blocks - obviously you'd like the load to be less but unless he's stuck in the game in lots of no huddle/hurry up then im not too concerned when we're playing high volume passing

I thought I seen Ellis in the game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if they're deactivating queen or harrison it's 100% the guy who's not the starting LB...

Queen's snap counts were only down because he missed basically 2 quarters of time due to injury

he's not getting benched after his best game of the season

looks like bynes to play mike and queen to play will which already seems to have helped him

ken's work can be really interesting but he sometimes loses sight of the larger picture when he becomes fixated on specific things and can lose some of the context

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While I don't completely disagree, Ken does sometimes overthink things. Not always strictly a numbers game... we had times just a few years ago where we had like 12 active DBs and went super light at other positions. But again, I also wouldn't be completely shocked if Queen is in street clothes soon.

maybe if he regresses back to how he's been at times in the first 5 weeks - but if he plays like this week then he's not going anywhere

id be shocked if PQ's in street clothes next week

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hell of a game. Nice to see Bateman. Looks like we got a 3 headed safety monster. Our oline was super and TCC showed he can handle center very well. And what can you say about Josh "Super Glue" Bynes. Nice to sit and watch a blowout that I thought was gonna be super close.

My only nitpick besides Lamar missing a couple throws was the 1st half 2 minute drill. 2 sacks and my man The Porsche not getting a duly deserved TD. Also what was up with the Chargers coach and his analytics? Lucky only 2 FG's were scored cuz of his stupididness.

the analytics were fine - aggressive but fine - the playcall really damaged them both times - they went after marlon in pretty weak situations where they were trying to out-physical one of the most physical and strong press-man corners in the league

im not sure even i would have gone for it on my own 19 but at that point they were down 3 scores anyway

Simba

Staff Member
maybe if he regresses back to how he's been at times in the first 5 weeks - but if he plays like this week then he's not going anywhere

id be shocked if PQ's in street clothes next week

If they do sit him down, it'd be a reset type of thing and not an ongoing thing if you ask me.