• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bye Week

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
i genuinely thought bell had something - but without Murray in front of him it was starkly obvious that he has zero explosion (i thought he had a little juice left at least in short areas)

Thing with Bell he does those dancy steps looking for a hole instead of trust in the system and just blast thru the hole. Right now we're totally lacking an Edwards type.

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Really hope they can rest up, take advantage of the bye and go back to winning

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So what do you think happens at the Bye? Any word on Mekari? We need to make some legit changes. As far as I can see we have issues at OL, RB, CB, S, DL, LB. Maybe if we get Wolfe back he solves our DL issues and also LB issues. I’m not sure how CB gets better but maybe with more pressure it does, which maybe Wolfe will h help with by freeing up others who knows. I know getting back Boyle will be a huge boon but by then it may be too little too late if we lose Mekari. We really can’t keep sustaining these OL injuries. Bell sucks, so does Williams. Both should be gone especially Williams. I wasn’t super impressed by how Roman called our game today either. Tackling needs to improve a LOT. Our tackling has been really bad all year and I am convinced it is because guys are trying too hard to force fumbles out there and just need to ball.

Simba

Staff Member
So what do you think happens at the Bye? Any word on Mekari? We need to make some legit changes. As far as I can see we have issues at OL, RB, CB, S, DL, LB. Maybe if we get Wolfe back he solves our DL issues and also LB issues. I’m not sure how CB gets better but maybe with more pressure it does, which maybe Wolfe will h help with by freeing up others who knows. I know getting back Boyle will be a huge boon but by then it may be too little too late if we lose Mekari. We really can’t keep sustaining these OL injuries. Bell sucks, so does Williams. Both should be gone especially Williams. I wasn’t super impressed by how Roman called our game today either. Tackling needs to improve a LOT. Our tackling has been really bad all year and I am convinced it is because guys are trying too hard to force fumbles out there and just need to ball.

I think you'll see a couple of shakeups.

RB - the most likely to me. Comb PSs. Sign someone off the street. Whatever. The current group isn't working.
OL - I think they'd love to improve here but not sure it's doable. Just keep adding bodies to the PS.
CB - another one where I assume they'd add a body to the PS at most
S - is what it is
DL - Wolfe is the likely answer here
LB - I think they already tried to answer this by adding Joe Thomas to the PS.

So all in all, I think RB would be the big change on the 53. OL and CB are just cycling warm bodies through the PS and using them as needed.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
To be honest, this defense isn't good as we think it is personnel-wise and I think it's time we accept that.

The edges are led by Justin Houston(Who is past his prime) and Odafe Oweh who, even though has made big plays is a rookie. Bowsers play has been inconsistent and was out of position plenty today. Averette probably had the best game on the entire defense given how many times he was targeted today. Chuck Clark played an awful game and while he is still a good player, is not spectacular or elite. Same can be said for Elliot, it's a good duo but they can have their moments of inconsistency and that doesn't compensate for how vanilla of a push rush we have unless we blitz we can't put any pressure on the QB and get them out of position. Let's hope they rebound and quickly because man, this has been a terrible unit overall, three games where an opposing QB had more then 400 yards passing.

Next years defense will look very different given how many players are FAs.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
At CB Marlon had a pretty terrible game and tackling played a big role into how poor they played. I just think the intangibles have to improve, better tackling, better angles, and Marlon returning to form, this was a terrible game by him, I think he mentioned himself that he gave up over 200 yards.

LB to me is a huge concern, Queen has shown flashes but he also has a lot of issues to work on his own, I think he was supposed to drop back into zone coverage and might have been confused on the play and was out of position which caused a massive completion over the middle on 3rd down.

I think the season so far has shown that the Ravens, injuries considered, are a mediocre tier roster bring carried by an elite QB. They'll probably be up and down all year and will go as far as Lamar's superhero abilities will allow. At least he has the receivers now, if nothing else.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think the season so far has shown that the Ravens, injuries considered, are a mediocre tier roster bring carried by an elite QB. They'll probably be up and down all year and will go as far as Lamar's superhero abilities will allow. At least he has the receivers now, if nothing else.

Yeah this is sad because the roster plus JK, Gus, Ronnie, Peters, Boyle, Wolfe is probably substantially better.

Yeah this is sad because the roster plus JK, Gus, Ronnie, Peters, Boyle, Wolfe is probably substantially better.
Seeing them listed like that really puts into perspective what we've lost tbh. Just praying Mekari's injury isn't too bad because that could prove to be a real Jenga piece now.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hope EDC can make some moves to improve this team over the Bye week because this roster, as currently constructed, is not a championship-worthy team.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Please cut Ty'son, who the fuck steps out of bounds on 4th down, at least have a go you bloody spanner.
I wouldn't cut him for it, but I didn't like how this wasn't being talked about. Like this is a guy who's in a weekly dog fight to even put a jersey on for gamedays, and he's just ho humming along the sideline and then steps out like he just got 15 yards in the first quarter.
That one rubbed me the wrong way too.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think you'll see a couple of shakeups.

RB - the most likely to me. Comb PSs. Sign someone off the street. Whatever. The current group isn't working.
OL - I think they'd love to improve here but not sure it's doable. Just keep adding bodies to the PS.
CB - another one where I assume they'd add a body to the PS at most
S - is what it is
DL - Wolfe is the likely answer here
LB - I think they already tried to answer this by adding Joe Thomas to the PS.

So all in all, I think RB would be the big change on the 53. OL and CB are just cycling warm bodies through the PS and using them as needed.
Well here's what I would say:
1. IF we add a RB, it's not going to be a world-beater. It's mostly just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. Like even if you managed to get Marlon Mack, who would be on the very, very, very high end of people we'd be going after, I'm not sure he's that much of a difference maker. Better than the guys we have, but not a massive upgrade. I don't see RBs available, or who will be made available, that are going to turn this rushing attack into a 2020 or 2019 version. It's just not happening.
2. If there's a personnel upgrade, my money would be at LB or somewhere on the defense, likely in the secondary. Not even a 1-6 team is going to trade a solid Olineman, and we certainly can't afford anybody of note anyway.

Bye week should be about a) getting some injured players back (Wolfe, Boyle, Watkins) and b) spending every second of every day learning how to fucking tackle people.

If this defense could actually execute on tackling consistently, they'd be at least average. And an average defense, especially in this division and conference, is going to win A LOT of football games.

Offensively, we're pretty much stuck with what we got. We've got some injured players who will come back, and the positions we could use upgrades are probably unrealistic to be upgraded. The defense is where I see some talent issues that will, of course, be addressed in the offseason, but I'm not seeing many options now.

For all the complaining we do about the Oline and the running game and the offense... this defense has basically played two good football games in 7 weeks. They played probably a good half against KC, I didn't even really think they were great against Detroit, even though they held them in check on the scoreboard pretty well, and they played great against the Chargers. Defense was bad against the Raiders, bad against the Colts, bad against the Bengals. And all three of those teams are playoff contenders at the moment.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd also remind people, like I do every week, to not overreact to only the last thing you saw. 7 days ago we were 5-1, an NFL powerhouse that just beat a very hyped (and still very good) team, and we were arguably kings of the AFC. One less to Cincinnati doesn't mean we're now all of the sudden hot garbage who are guaranteed to be one and done in the playoffs. It was a loss and a bad loss. It happens. Now you feel what Chargers fans felt last week.

Honestly, if the Ravens beat the Bengals by double digits in Cincinnati later in the season, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. That's football.

Every team I've seen, especially in this division and this conference, has MAJOR issues. Bills, Chargers, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, etc. Doesn't matter who it is. They've got problems. So do we.

Simba

Staff Member
Well here's what I would say:
1. IF we add a RB, it's not going to be a world-beater. It's mostly just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. Like even if you managed to get Marlon Mack, who would be on the very, very, very high end of people we'd be going after, I'm not sure he's that much of a difference maker. Better than the guys we have, but not a massive upgrade. I don't see RBs available, or who will be made available, that are going to turn this rushing attack into a 2020 or 2019 version. It's just not happening.
2. If there's a personnel upgrade, my money would be at LB or somewhere on the defense, likely in the secondary. Not even a 1-6 team is going to trade a solid Olineman, and we certainly can't afford anybody of note anyway.

Bye week should be about a) getting some injured players back (Wolfe, Boyle, Watkins) and b) spending every second of every day learning how to fucking tackle people.

If this defense could actually execute on tackling consistently, they'd be at least average. And an average defense, especially in this division and conference, is going to win A LOT of football games.

Offensively, we're pretty much stuck with what we got. We've got some injured players who will come back, and the positions we could use upgrades are probably unrealistic to be upgraded. The defense is where I see some talent issues that will, of course, be addressed in the offseason, but I'm not seeing many options now.

For all the complaining we do about the Oline and the running game and the offense... this defense has basically played two good football games in 7 weeks. They played probably a good half against KC, I didn't even really think they were great against Detroit, even though they held them in check on the scoreboard pretty well, and they played great against the Chargers. Defense was bad against the Raiders, bad against the Colts, bad against the Bengals. And all three of those teams are playoff contenders at the moment.

As far as RB goes, I don't think we're getting some instant upgrade. And I would also opine that an addition is much more likely to come via a PS addition (maybe even internally) than some meaningful trade. From my side, my expectation/hope is more that they swap some of these older guys out for someone with more explosion. I think Murray stays, but beyond him, I can't see how we're a better team with this throwback Thursday crew over some young guy taking his lumps... not Ty'Son though.

But for the rest... that's my problem. I think you can add guys at certain spots but are they difference makers? Is adding a 6th ILB really the best use of resources when you already like all of them in certain situations? At CB you'd be adding depth. At S you'd be adding depth. If I have one move left, I want it to be more impactful. Just not sure there's a lot that makes a lot of sense here, but never say never of course. Just think RB is the most likely to be changed and it doesn't necessarily have to be a trade.

Couldn't agree more - this is the aspect that will have the biggest impact on our chances going forwards. It's been utterly shocking so far. If the defense can stop putting the offense in a hole then they might be able to play a more balanced game. Improved tackling (or ANY tackling) could make a difference on both sides of the ball.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As far as RB goes, I don't think we're getting some instant upgrade. And I would also opine that an addition is much more likely to come via a PS addition (maybe even internally) than some meaningful trade. From my side, my expectation/hope is more that they swap some of these older guys out for someone with more explosion. I think Murray stays, but beyond him, I can't see how we're a better team with this throwback Thursday crew over some young guy taking his lumps... not Ty'Son though.

But for the rest... that's my problem. I think you can add guys at certain spots but are they difference makers? Is adding a 6th ILB really the best use of resources when you already like all of them in certain situations? At CB you'd be adding depth. At S you'd be adding depth. If I have one move left, I want it to be more impactful. Just not sure there's a lot that makes a lot of sense here, but never say never of course. Just think RB is the most likely to be changed and it doesn't necessarily have to be a trade.
Agreed. It's mostly just a product of they saw how we go and add Peters mid-season, so now all of the sudden that means every season Eric is going to spring some mid-season wonder trade and land a stud for cheap. That doesn't happen every year, and I don't think it happens this year either. Last year it was Yannick, which turned out to be really not that beneficial for us. And we've had more financial resources in prior years than this one.

Simba

Staff Member
Agreed. It's mostly just a product of they saw how we go and add Peters mid-season, so now all of the sudden that means every season Eric is going to spring some mid-season wonder trade and land a stud for cheap. That doesn't happen every year, and I don't think it happens this year either. Last year it was Yannick, which turned out to be really not that beneficial for us. And we've had more financial resources in prior years than this one.

The financial is the biggest thing this year. You're almost forced into trade for (a) someone still on their rookie contract which would likely cost more in capital but could be a longer term option or (b) some veteran on the minimum that likely isn't a difference maker anyways if they're playing for the minimum. The reality is that any meaningful addition via trade is going to cost a premium. The only position I'd be willing to do that for on the current team is OL and I don't think teams are in the business of giving up quality OL.