• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 OL Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like all 3 of Neal, Ekwonu and Cross

my guess is Neal and Ekwonu probably end up higher on the ravens board (as long as stanley is healthy) just because they're more developed in the running game and have some positional versatility - Neal has played RT (and also guard) which helps given we're likely looking for him to play RT long-term but might also be asked to play LG in year 1 to get him on the field if James and Stanley are good to go, Ekwonu has played LG as well as LT which again makes it somewhat easier to envision him playing in year 1 albeit if he's in the RT competition he would have to change sides which is not completely devoid of risk - Cross I think is probably the clearest and most obvious LT of the 3 and would not be surprised if he's OT1 for a team looking specifically for a franchise LT but think he's less obvious of an instant fit at RT (with the way team's around the league think about RT) - i think he'll be great and could easily be a RT just hasn't shown that versatility in college which is fine

would be ecstatic to get any of those 3 at 14... they're the 3 highest graded players on my board so far

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nicholas Petit-Frere is no bueno

pass sets are a complete mess - bad with his hands, bad with his feet, not overly big or powerful, not flexible and bends at the waist, has decent length and an impressive get-off out of his stance in the running game and does a few decent things as a run-blocker and has some quickness to him

having watched 3 games i have absolutely no idea what anyone sees in him - to me he looks like a day 3 guy

he's probably the first major surprise ive had so far - based on where id seen him in mocks and boards when working out which guys to watch i assumed he'd be much better - seen people say he could sneak into the backend of the 1st and that makes absolutely zero sense to me

can somebody explain to me what im missing?

right now he's got the lowest grade of anyone ive studied so far

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
One late rounder that deserves a look is Matt Waletzko from North Dakota. A giant of a man with incredibly heavy hands, and a frame that could still add some more bulk if need be (6'7" and 305). Not a top tier athlete, bit better than you'd think for a guy that size. With his decent lateral movement and length speedy edge rushers would have to take a long way to get around him. He has the grit and mauler mentality to punish bull rushers that try to go through him.

Honestly the only drawback is his technique being pretty rough, and getting by somewhat with just his strength and aggression. Everything you can't coach is there, and we've actually been decent at coaching up lineman when they actually have some movement ability.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm a lot higher on Jamaree Salyer than the consensus it seems based on what ive seen on various boards

it's somewhat frustrating that we're not really in need of a guard because he looks the part of a ravens guard - obviously we took Cleveland last year but i think Salyer's nastier and also a better lateral athlete - and bonus is that he has 5 position flexibility - probably not best suited to tackle but can certainly play there in a pinch (and demonstrated at georgia not only positional versatility but also the ability to change side and position effectively mid-game)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
DJ mocked this kid to us. My god

JAAM

Hall of Famer
"kid"
Btt: This weekend i want to start watching OTs. Who are the guys i should focus on?
I'm 30 now and anyone in college is still a kid to me :lol:

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
"kid"
Btt: This weekend i want to start watching OTs. Who are the guys i should focus on?
Evan Neal
Ikem Ekwonu
Charles Cross
Daniel Faalele
Trevor Penning
Bernhard Raimann

probably those guys the most obvious 6

maybe Nicholas petit-frere who some have put in that group too but who, fair warning, I thought is nowhere near this group
To add to this list:

Daniel Faalele
Rasheed Walker
Andrew Stueber
Matt Waletzko

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
One late rounder that deserves a look is Matt Waletzko from North Dakota. A giant of a man with incredibly heavy hands, and a frame that could still add some more bulk if need be (6'7" and 305). Not a top tier athlete, bit better than you'd think for a guy that size. With his decent lateral movement and length speedy edge rushers would have to take a long way to get around him. He has the grit and mauler mentality to punish bull rushers that try to go through him.

Honestly the only drawback is his technique being pretty rough, and getting by somewhat with just his strength and aggression. Everything you can't coach is there, and we've actually been decent at coaching up lineman when they actually have some movement ability.

How bout another one from the FCS.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cordell-volson-ndsu-ot-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

If we're looking strictly RT you can find value in the later rounds. For the 14th pick it's either a starting LT in case Stanley doesn't come back or Linderbaum on oline. Can't reach after Cross or Neal.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
100% - got a couple of questions with faalele with his pass sets that could affect his grade a fair amount negatively but hopefully they get answered at the senior bowl
I’ve seen enough of faalele and his pass sets to not be concerned tbh, I’ve seen plenty of very impressive, natural and comfortable pass sets from him. He crosses his feet sometimes when he has to work back upfield on inside counters, with repetition I believe he fixes this, and with that I think he’s a fairly complete RT.

I can’t overstate this… I really want Daniel faalele in Baltimore. I just don’t see how.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve seen enough of faalele and his pass sets to not be concerned tbh, I’ve seen plenty of very impressive, natural and comfortable pass sets from him. He crosses his feet sometimes when he has to work back upfield on inside counters, with repetition I believe he fixes this, and with that I think he’s a fairly complete RT.

I can’t overstate this… I really want Daniel faalele in Baltimore. I just don’t see how.

to be clear - i like the pass sets that i see from him - just want to see how he is with vertical pass sets of which ive seen only maybe 1 on his tape and it was a bit awkward - think he can overset a little too

when i say it might change his grade i mean he might go from a late 1st to a mid-2nd type of drop (most likely worst case) if i dont get to see it - like you i love what i see on his horizontal sets - i just want to see what he looks like getting depth especially vs some faster guys - really want to see him challenged in the senior bowl practice 1v1s by ebiketie and mafe and myjai sanders who are all on his roster

would be one of the most obvious no-brainer type picks at 45 if he's there

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Evan Neal
Ikem Ekwonu
Charles Cross
Daniel Faalele
Trevor Penning
Bernhard Raimann

probably those guys the most obvious 6

maybe Nicholas petit-frere who some have put in that group too but who, fair warning, I thought is nowhere near this group
To add to this list:

Daniel Faalele
Rasheed Walker
Andrew Stueber
Matt Waletzko
Ty for your input
I try to change my scouting philosophy this year. I started with going back and i have studied Slater's tape again to see why his transition was successful. Technically sound, good hands, flexibility but he wasn't the most athletic guy and lacked the ideal type of body.
1st impression:
I'm not sure Ekwonu will play OT in the NFL. Was getting beat vs clemson and they have average guys on their DL - altough he has shown to recover nicely.
Cross: hard to evaluate because of scheme. I like OT who are comfortable out of 2 and 3 point stances. I'm getting Tunsil vibes - who played at Ole Miss but it took him 2 years to settle. I'm not sure if thats what we're looking for right now. We need a starting OT.
When it comes to Penning and faalele it depends on whether we look for a LT or RT. But if both are available, i'll take Faalele. Idk why but i feel he's going to be special, he's raw compared to some of the other guys above and it shows when compared to especially Penning who knows how to play and deal with stunts etc.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ty for your input
I try to change my scouting philosophy this year. I started with going back and i have studied Slater's tape again to see why his transition was successful. Technically sound, good hands, flexibility but he wasn't the most athletic guy and lacked the ideal type of body.
1st impression:
I'm not sure Ekwonu will play OT in the NFL. Was getting beat vs clemson and they have average guys on their DL - altough he has shown to recover nicely.
Cross: hard to evaluate because of scheme. I like OT who are comfortable out of 2 and 3 point stances. I'm getting Tunsil vibes - who played at Ole Miss but it took him 2 years to settle. I'm not sure if thats what we're looking for right now. We need a starting OT.
When it comes to Penning and faalele it depends on whether we look for a LT or RT. But if both are available, i'll take Faalele. Idk why but i feel he's going to be special, he's raw compared to some of the other guys above and it shows when compared to especially Penning who knows how to play and deal with stunts etc.

for what it's worth i thought slater was supremely athletic just not quite as long as Sewell - with slater it was clear with the way he dealt with chase young that he was athletic and unafraid of speed rushers or length - i think the biggest indicator with slater for how good he would be (at least in pass pro) is just how comfortable, balanced an unhurried he looked against all-comers - rarely lunged, never got shocked or surprised and everything just seemed to be happening around him in slow motion - and you saw it in his athletic testing scores where he was elite (just not quite as elite as sewell's)

and regarding Ekwonu just fyi Clemson have a likely future top 5 pick at EDGE on their DL
if you want to see why everyone loves Ekwonu - have a look at his mississippi state tape although tbh i thought he was pretty great against clemson as well apart from a couple of reps where he overset

in terms of RT - the easiest guys to project there of the top guys are Evan Neal and Daniel Faalele because they're the only guys who've actually got reps there