• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Browns Edition

Another W by the way. Let's get to the dance and keep doing this weird skin-of-their-teeth tight game winning shit that somehow keeps happening despite half the team being on the treatment table. This is house money.

Also, I don't want to see Murray any more. Someone on here already said it, but for a thumper he has zero leg drive. Any contact and he just stops dead, never breaks a tackle - it's almost physics breaking. Freeman is the only back I trust and that's kind of depressing.

(Yeah we need Murray in the rotation, I know - we're running on scraps)

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
the best: the Defense at all its levels, the defensive front was a nightmare putting pressure and closing gaps, the lbs covering and finishing the job against the rb, the secondary the same.
mvp: Bowser, Oweh and Queen
2 concerns: the teams are attacking Marlon more, today he had good and bad, it is not good news when the teams attack your best cb.
We continue to allow easy and profitable catches to the TEs, they only have to look for the middle of the field and everything flows, this is a problem for a long time.
the bad: the Attack, doubtful play calling, doubtful execution, qb with bad decisions, the first 2 interceptions are the same play only Bateman / Watkins changes.
rb who have no legs, murray runs towards rivals, and Freeman is a little better, but his best days are past.
the offensive line is bad, but today it did not cause so many problems, lamar had time.
It is nice to see Villanueva taking the trouble to continually see how the grass on the playing field is doing, great quality control, length of leaves, hardness of the soil, desired color and others ...
mvp: Andrews
good bateman and marquise game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No matter how ugly it is a win is a win so I will take it. However I'm going to lay a lot of the blame on this being a close game on the clearly biased officials, I don't know how the fuck you can call two plays where the ball clearly touches the ground and is moving a catch. Hell I don't know how that first interception that bounced off Bateman didn't get reviewed, it looked questionable to me and should have had a full review done.
The Bateman int there was nothing to even review, that was clear. But the third int and the TD needed to come back, they both clearly touched the ground and moved substantially as a result.

and it’s weird I was thinking to myself in the fourth that if it wasn’t for those 2 calls then I’d say the refs called a good game, letting them play, not getting trigger happy with flags, but then I remembered the missed facemask on andrews and then they called a hold on powers that really hurt and then there was 3 blatant holds on the closing possession by Cleveland that went uncalled. Yeah they let them play a little too much at times and fucking blew it at every key moment

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It’s gonna suck when Micah Parsons wins DROY award over this guy just because of the team he plays on.

Oh how I was so wrong about you, Oweh. I love you.

View attachment 2975
Oweh has been a saving grace and I can’t wait to watch his career here, but parsons is pretty clearly DROY and Christian barmore is probably runner up and both rightfully so

and barmore… as much as I like oweh, barmore is who I wanted most at that pick and god dammit he’s a stud

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the best: the Defense at all its levels, the defensive front was a nightmare putting pressure and closing gaps, the lbs covering and finishing the job against the rb, the secondary the same.
mvp: Bowser, Oweh and Queen
2 concerns: the teams are attacking Marlon more, today he had good and bad, it is not good news when the teams attack your best cb.
We continue to allow easy and profitable catches to the TEs, they only have to look for the middle of the field and everything flows, this is a problem for a long time.
the bad: the Attack, doubtful play calling, doubtful execution, qb with bad decisions, the first 2 interceptions are the same play only Bateman / Watkins changes.
rb who have no legs, murray runs towards rivals, and Freeman is a little better, but his best days are past.
the offensive line is bad, but today it did not cause so many problems, lamar had time.
It is nice to see Villanueva taking the trouble to continually see how the grass on the playing field is doing, great quality control, length of leaves, hardness of the soil, desired color and others ...
mvp: Andrews
good bateman and marquise game
Typically I hate the blitz heavy gameplan because of the reasons you listed, we allow the easiest completions ever when it’s picked up, but I think it was all part of playing such a strong run game and an injured baker, we knew baker wasn’t gonna stand tall against the rush and that we needed to stop the run, baker couldn’t beat us with his arm, and it proved true.

now we gotta get it together against other qbs who can stand strong and deliver easy throws

That game was like the ghost of Ravens past ie low scoring game of garbage offense bailed out by strong defense.

Lamar still my boy though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Also, I don't want to see Murray any more. Someone on here already said it, but for a thumper he has zero leg drive. Any contact and he just stops dead, never breaks a tackle - it's almost physics breaking. Freeman is the only back I trust and that's kind of depressing.

I said this when we signed him. He broke the 5th least tackles in the league last season, compared to JK and Gus who were right up near the top in the league in broken tackles and leg drive is the reason or lack thereof in Murray's case.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I said this when we signed him. He broke the 5th least tackles in the league last season, compared to JK and Gus who were right up near the top in the league in broken tackles and leg drive is the reason or lack thereof in Murray's case.
If you touch Murray ,he drops to the ground. Freeman is so far the best of the new running back group. It not like we have anything close to the Jonathan Taylor level sadly.

It's honestly crazy - you see him get up a head of steam, then hit the tackler/pile and just stop on the spot. Totally stuffed, every time.

If you touch Murray ,he drops to the ground. Freeman is so far the best of the new running back group. It not like we have anything close to the Jonathan Taylor level sadly.
The whole situation has proven what little I know, because Freeman was the only one of the three I was sure was done when we signed him. Not that he starts anywhere else in the league of course.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
The whole situation has proven what little I know, because Freeman was the only one of the three I was sure was done when we signed him. Not that he starts anywhere else in the league of course.
I know. I thought Murray would be the best of the group but its clearly Freeman .

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Murray is the exact type of back you want when you're up like double digits in the fourth quarter and trying to pound out time of possession and grind the opposing defense down to a victory.
Problem is our running game isn't good enough for the first three quarters to have such leads, so yes, he's kind of useless.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I still think GRo is getting off to easy for the play calling of this game. He consistently ran the ball on first down for no gain whatsoever.

Often on second down, we'd either get an incompletion or only a modest gain.

We were in 3rd and long ALL game. Then on 3rd downs, we just so often threw the ball to a receiver well short of the sticks and usually without blockers. The one I remember working was the one to Hollywood where he had to zoom in between 2 guys to barely get it. It didn't work plenty of other times.

There is also been a sub pattern that is undeniable that we've seen all season. When we're not playing well, like we were yesterday, we get this sense of desperation mode and ALWAYS go for a deep ball even if it's not there. If I recall correctly Lamar has 5 interceptions almost half of them in that exact situation.

There is no threat of any play action. I understand that traditionally you use the run to set up your passing game, but this OL plus group of running backs isn't capable of setting the tone early in games. We need to pass early to set up the running game and actually develop play action.

Finally we still always have around 2 running plays that are obviously DOA regarding a pitch or option to Freeman outside. He can't do it. Stop making him do it.

As people were saying yesterday about the sacks, Lamar is literally asked to carry the weight of the entire team and that's why he holds on so long. We saw him effectively win the game by getting that TD off a crazy breakdown. I just think it would be easier on him if the play calling wasn't either actively inhibitory or just goofy.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, its pretty simple. Our offense will be limited the rest of the year because we're not really that effective running the ball. In a vacuum, our rushing stats look favorable league wide. But that's almost entirely Lamar, and a lot of the bigger gains are on unscripted plays.

Lamar has more than double the rushing yardage of ANY RB on this team. The two RBs we actually play and give carries to (Murray and Freeman) average 32 yards/game each and combine to average 3.8 YPC, which is well below replacement level in the NFL.

In 5 of our 11 games this year, RBs have failed to eclipse 75 rushing yards TOTAL, for the whole group, in a game. They've only gone over 100 yards 3 times in total, and not surprisingly, we won all three games (KC, LAC, MIN). They've been held under 40 yards rushing three times.

This offense isn't going to dramatically improve I don't think. I'm not sure what else they can do to improve it. There's no extra resources coming, and there's more coaching I see that is going to improve it. It is what it is.