• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Browns Edition

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I love the ownership he takes, especially with how young he is

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Many here regularly beat up on BWill, but it’s no accident that the run D is 1000% better with a healthy Brandon in the game.
this has been true for most seasons, but this season he has fallen off a cliff. He did have a good game yesterday, but so did our entire defense yesterday. Madubuike, Queen, Bowser, Houston all had good to very good games.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Oweh was on the edge for mostly all his snaps correct?
Looked like it, and of course he seemed to be in Baker’s face all night. Stop getting cute with him and let him do his thing

marklar

Pro Bowler
Regarding Roman, I have one point to make. Consider ifStefanski had been calling our plays. He got 40 yds out of what many claim is the best OL and RBs in the league. Think of that when you ask for a new OC, because that would be a likely outcome in terms of talent.

Simba

Staff Member
Many here regularly beat up on BWill, but it’s no accident that the run D is 1000% better with a healthy Brandon in the game.

Id argue this was his best game in the last couple of years. We’re certainly better against the run with him in there but last nights performance hasn’t been the norm recently. Hope he can keep it up though because that was shades of prime BWill.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, its pretty simple. Our offense will be limited the rest of the year because we're not really that effective running the ball. In a vacuum, our rushing stats look favorable league wide. But that's almost entirely Lamar, and a lot of the bigger gains are on unscripted plays.

Lamar has more than double the rushing yardage of ANY RB on this team. The two RBs we actually play and give carries to (Murray and Freeman) average 32 yards/game each and combine to average 3.8 YPC, which is well below replacement level in the NFL.

In 5 of our 11 games this year, RBs have failed to eclipse 75 rushing yards TOTAL, for the whole group, in a game. They've only gone over 100 yards 3 times in total, and not surprisingly, we won all three games (KC, LAC, MIN). They've been held under 40 yards rushing three times.

This offense isn't going to dramatically improve I don't think. I'm not sure what else they can do to improve it. There's no extra resources coming, and there's more coaching I see that is going to improve it. It is what it is.
It’s called winning UGLY !

Tank

Hall of Famer
this has been true for most seasons, but this season he has fallen off a cliff. He did have a good game yesterday, but so did our entire defense yesterday. Madubuike, Queen, Bowser, Houston all had good to very good games.

Id argue this was his best game in the last couple of years. We’re certainly better against the run with him in there but last nights performance hasn’t been the norm recently. Hope he can keep it up though because that was shades of prime BWill.

I think much like Haloti did, BWill tends to play through injuries that would sideline most and doesn’t advertise it. What is often perceived as poor play is him trying to still help the team while playing injured. Hopefully the lay off helped and he can stay healthy.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is it time to put Tyree in at LG?

Is there any circumstance where we're stronger with BB at LG and Colon at C?

Is there a chance Tyree is a better LT than AV?

Should Clevland be getting snaps?

All I know is the left side of the OL is straight up trash and I really doubt there isn't some better combination.

I know they want consistency and maybe they feel it's too late to make a change, but boy does that left side suck

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What you're saying is not wrong. I also tried to state that you can't have play action without fear of the running game. However, see @rossihunter2 reply to me above. We had far more success throwing on first down than running it.

We all know that the RBs are limited. But we are still looking for ways to improve. My very naive fan thought is to try and use the passing game to set up the run. Because right now as you said most teams know on first down, more likely than not we're running it. They're not afraid of either one up the gut and they really aren't afraid of either bouncing outside. So they know if they just play disciplined against Lamar we're talking about a 1 yard gain at most.

I think as uncomfortable as it may be and especially so for Roman, this has gotta be a pass first team. We just don't have the resources to justify trying to be a run first team.

The only way would be if we went back to having Lamar carry it 4 times a drive. If there was a greater threat to Lamar running each running play, it might help out the running backs. But we all know the consequences of doing that.

But that's what I see. Start passing more or start running Lamar more.
Well, me personally, I have zero percent interest in seeing more designed runs for Lamar. Love the guy, and he's not your prototype QB by any stretch, but there's a reason why QBs don't get hit 15-20 times a game like he does. They're not built like RBs and they aren't designed to take those hits. We've been playing with fire all year in this regard.

I fully agree we're a pass-first offense this year. My points were, in some ways, pointing out the hypocrisy of the fanbase, which is to stay that if Lamar drops back 45-50 times to throw, and we lose, the 10000% first criticism is a lack of emphasis in the run game and bad play calling because of it.

Because the reality is that's kind of guaranteed to happen when you throw more on first down. Even assuming like a normal 60-65% completion rate, that means at least 1/3 of the time, you're staring at 2nd and long, which means you turn into a throw the ball on 3 downs kind of team. And that will ebb and flow with game flow and situations.

I don't know that the answer is to simply run the ball less. I'm not convinced that will yield more points scored.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well, me personally, I have zero percent interest in seeing more designed runs for Lamar. Love the guy, and he's not your prototype QB by any stretch, but there's a reason why QBs don't get hit 15-20 times a game like he does. They're not built like RBs and they aren't designed to take those hits. We've been playing with fire all year in this regard.

I fully agree we're a pass-first offense this year. My points were, in some ways, pointing out the hypocrisy of the fanbase, which is to stay that if Lamar drops back 45-50 times to throw, and we lose, the 10000% first criticism is a lack of emphasis in the run game and bad play calling because of it.

Because the reality is that's kind of guaranteed to happen when you throw more on first down. Even assuming like a normal 60-65% completion rate, that means at least 1/3 of the time, you're staring at 2nd and long, which means you turn into a throw the ball on 3 downs kind of team. And that will ebb and flow with game flow and situations.

I don't know that the answer is to simply run the ball less. I'm not convinced that will yield more points scored.

I also have no interest in running Lamar more. That's why the only option I see is to pass more. You either do nothing different and you are what you are, that was basically your initial post. Or you try and pass more and hope there are higher highs in that strategy. Obviously idk if it will work, but it seems like the only alternative to me.

I'll personally go on record and say I will not criticize GRo if we lose when the game plan was to just have Lamar dropback 40 times if the running game is totally nonexistent.

I'll criticize him if he never tries. If you literally never try, you are committing to what you see is failing. In some games we'll be able to get the running game going. In others we won't. We should be trying to find ways to adapt. Just my opinion

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Regarding Roman, I have one point to make. Consider ifStefanski had been calling our plays. He got 40 yds out of what many claim is the best OL and RBs in the league. Think of that when you ask for a new OC, because that would be a likely outcome in terms of talent.
Baker is injured and we have the best run defense in nfl. Shit im banking on them going after wrs and even maybe a qb this offseason

Simba

Staff Member
Position by position thoughts:

QB: Lamar was obviously off last night but we still pulled out the W. Even then, he still manages to do things that make you go wow. I'm not worried. He'll be back.

RB: Pretty much the same as it has been all year. Freeman has the most juice but it's not enough to be a true threat, but he's been great in a rotation. Murray is alright and shows some burst on occasion but not enough as well. Still can't believe they're looking at this group and not trying anything else. They clearly don't trust Ty'Son and not sure what value he's providing if they aren't doing anything with him.

WR: Not much to say here. They did alright with the opportunities they had but they were limited. I love that Hollywood is getting more volume and fighting for extra yards.

TE: Andrews took over when he needed to. Probably would have been the star if Lamar was more accurate, because he had so many other opportunities. Boyle is clearly still working his way back but nice to have him out there.

OL: Villanueva is still very bad and spent a lot of time on his back, but somehow Garrett still didn't take over like I thought. Powers is still eh at best. Bozeman and Zeitler have been fine. Mekari probably had one of his worst games at RT but still not bad by any means. The left side is the big issue.

DL: Bravo to them. I know we stacked the box but BWill, Madubuike, Washington, and Ellis held down the first. BWill pulled his best game in years. Madubuike was a threat all night. Washington is filling that "unsung" role that Wolfe had last year in the sense that he's playing smart and gutsy football even if it doesn't show in the stat book.

OLB: This was wild. Oweh, Bowser, and Houston all running on all fumes. Sack numbers didn't indicate how much pressure they got. Oweh is a star in the making and Bowser might be one of the best second contract bargains in football with how he's been playing in recent weeks.

ILB: If you had told me that Welch and Board would be the ILBs at points in this game, I'd have laughed like crazy. But everyone here played well. Queen is starting to come into his own for sure and it's nice that Bynes and Welch are providing that downhill presence so Queen can roam free. Also fun note: Welch stands out like crazy as the token white dude on the defensive side of the ball.

CB: They came to play last night. Averett was lockdown. Humphrey was a split second away from avoiding that PI but otherwise played well. Young is still super feisty and has quietly put together a really good season.

S: Communication was much better. Stephens still shows some rawness but has so much to like. Clark needs to reel in those gift INTs. Stone is getting limited run but playing like a missile when he's out there.

ST: Tucker is the GOAT