• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Recovering from a torn pec takes about 6 months so Marlon should be ready for the start of the season. Training camp might be iffy because I don’t think he can continue upper body weightlifting or at least benching by month 9

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
send @rmcjacket23 to the pit of misery @Dom McRaven
Nah. He's absolutely correct. We were winning "nonsensically" while the Steelers lost two straight while Big Ben announced that this may very well be his last season with the Steelers. Add that to the fact that their season was (still is) on the line AT HOME with that crowd? Yeah, the handwriting was on the wall.

You know what really sucks about the steeler loss? NE has moved into the #1 seed. Lol. It’s like a double whammy.

I’m not giving up on this team or LJ. We’ve all seen how LJ can turn it around on a dime. He’s making bad throws and bad decisions right now but don’t count him out. The coaches have to figure out how to counter what defenses are doing to neutralize him. Romo mentioned how teams are blitzing allot from the slot which is causing him to step up in the pocket and forcing him to throw or take the sack. And as bad as the O line is right now sacks are coming in bunches. They’ll figure it out. If they don’t this season is trash. And if Humphrey is down for the remainder it may be trash anyway.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is the play where <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MarlonHumphrey?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#MarlonHumphrey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Ravens?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Ravens</a> tears his right pect tendon trying to stop the touchdown. Season over with surgery. Too bad. <a href="https://t.co/tmtFRtKzO2">pic.twitter.com/tmtFRtKzO2</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="">December 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nah. He's absolutely correct. We were winning "nonsensically" while the Steelers lost two straight while Big Ben announced that this may very well be his last season with the Steelers. Add that to the fact that their season was (still is) on the line AT HOME with that crowd? Yeah, the handwriting was on the wall.
The loss isn't the issue. The fact that we have yet more significant injuries, which now leaves us a ravaged secondary (with four strong opponents who have WRs who can beat us) is what has me concerned.

I've officially thrown in the towel on this being a SB contending team. Just too many injuries for that. I'm not yet throwing in the towel on this being a playoff team, but the margin for error is getting smaller.

10-7 I think gets you a playoff spot in the AFC, meaning we need to win 2 more games. 3 wins I think will get us the division title and a home game.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Watched the clip again and noticed that besides 3 players blocking absolutely no one the damn dt has his hand damn near on the ball and nothing is called.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
The loss isn't the issue. The fact that we have yet more significant injuries, which now leaves us a ravaged secondary (with four strong opponents who have WRs who can beat us) is what has me concerned.

I've officially thrown in the towel on this being a SB contending team. Just too many injuries for that. I'm not yet throwing in the towel on this being a playoff team, but the margin for error is getting smaller.

10-7 I think gets you a playoff spot in the AFC, meaning we need to win 2 more games. 3 wins I think will get us the division title and a home game.

It's depressing to think what this team could have done if they'd dodged even just 2 or 3 of the major injuries they've had with the conference being as weak as it is. Worst part is that I don't think the team will be this talented again for a while with Lamar's 5th year option and impending new contract starting next season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's depressing to think what this team could have done if they'd dodged even just 2 or 3 of the major injuries they've had with the conference being as weak as it is. Worst part is that I don't think the team will be this talented again for a while with Lamar's 5th year option and impending new contract starting next season.
I wouldn't say that. Depends on what happens in the draft. We need youth and speed on defense, so I expect the FO to address that. Oline and defense are the priorities.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Watched the clip again and noticed that besides 3 players blocking absolutely no one the damn dt has his hand damn near on the ball and nothing is called.

The missed blocks really had nothing to do with the play failing, no question 57 is lined up in the neutral zone, big miss.
Painful to watch, just a bit of float, touch on the pass and it's completed.

Simba

Staff Member
Was only able to catch the second half on a tiny bar TV in the airport but from what I saw, it looked like much of the same. Defense with communication issues spoiling what could have been a decent day. Offense with poor execution and no trust in anyone and couldn't finish. Lamar is just pressing too much. He's feeling the pressure of being essentially the only playmaker on offense AND doesn't trust the OL to hold and is making bad decisions as a result.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't say that. Depends on what happens in the draft. We need youth and speed on defense, so I expect the FO to address that. Oline and defense are the priorities.

It's probably a discussion for another forum, but they've got a lot of heavy contributors to replace and even with the cap space and draft picks they have, expecting them to fill every hole at an equal or higher quality is statistically unlikely.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lamar needs to play better. He has to take his game to the next level now and that is all between the ears at this point. I have seen enough to know he can do it. The next step is taking the easy short stuff quickly and living to play another down.
I dnt think we have the minds on our offensive staff for lamar to really up his game. We need someone that can show him the correct way to prepare, read defenses and make better presnap reads.. i think his best bet is to reach out to someone for help. His throwing inconsistency gonna always be there but everything else can really up his game like crazy

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I can't even put into perspective how bad losing Marlon is. Pretty much the only reliable CB left in terms of leaving 1v1. Averett has had his own issues with communication and he can struggle against bigger WRs. This is similar to 2014 but even worse, far worse. At least in 2014 we had the best pass rush in the league where you can rush four or five alongside a bevy of blitz packages. You had BWill and Ngata who can push the pocket and Sizzle/Doom who can crash down the edges, McPhee and Jernigan were fantastic rushers as well. Even though the secondary was a complete liability you had to force QBs to get the ball out quick, that and you had a good LB duo in CJ Mosley and Daryl Smith.

You have none of that this year, there isn't really a four-man rush comparable to that. I think Justin Houston and Odafe Oweh have had pretty good years but I don't think it's enough. The secondary is going to get torn to shreds. It's going to get ugly real soon.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like the one play we could of used a Lamar fade away back foot floater was on the 2 point conversion

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I dnt think we have the minds on our offensive staff for lamar to really up his game. We need someone that can show him the correct way to prepare, read defenses and make better presnap reads.. i think his best bet is to reach out to someone for help. His throwing inconsistency gonna always be there but everything else can really up his game like crazy

I don't know anything anybody else doesn't, but it seemed like having a backup QB to mentor Lamar (RGIII) and be in a teaching role had a good effect on him. Nothing against Huntley, but he doesn't really bring much to the table in this regard.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's probably a discussion for another forum, but they've got a lot of heavy contributors to replace and even with the cap space and draft picks they have, expecting them to fill every hole at an equal or higher quality is statistically unlikely.
Agree that's borderline impossible. We're going to get weaker at some positions to get stronger at others. That's how it works.