• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know anything anybody else doesn't, but it seemed like having a backup QB to mentor Lamar (RGIII) and be in a teaching role had a good effect on him. Nothing against Huntley, but he doesn't really bring much to the table in this regard.
If we're talking about being a role model in terms of having him learn how to read defenses, be a pocket passer, etc., then RGIII wouldn't fit that category at all, since he was never good at either. A role model in terms of like how to carry yourself, work ethic, practice routines, taking care of your body, film study, etc.? Sure, I'm fine with RGIII.

At the end of the day, I'm not big on the "lets make sure our backup QB is a great mentor" mentality. I want a backup QB who can come in, run the same or similar offense to what the starter can run, and not make the ship sunk if he has to play a few games. That's what Huntley is to me. Whether he's younger or older than Lamar doesn't really matter to me, because a lot of teams bring in these "mentor" guys and they end up sucking when they're called upon to play.

If they need a mentor for Lamar, hire one as a consultant.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh just mentioned the guy lined up in neutral zone.

The loss is whatever. The loss combined with losing Marlon has me fucking heated. We don't get that PI and we most likely still have our top CB. Also, Wink now is going to have to call coverage cause there's no way in hell we're sending these cbs out in man. Defense might look a lot worse in upcoming weeks, not even considering the level of competition we're going to be up against.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
If we're talking about being a role model in terms of having him learn how to read defenses, be a pocket passer, etc., then RGIII wouldn't fit that category at all, since he was never good at either. A role model in terms of like how to carry yourself, work ethic, practice routines, taking care of your body, film study, etc.? Sure, I'm fine with RGIII.

We definitely saw RGIII talking with Lamar after turnovers/stalled drives a lot last year (we see Urban doing it now more). I don't necessarily think that RGIII's lack of success as a pocket passer means that he wasn't effective at going over decisions with Lamar (hell there's people on this board who could probably do this effectively without being starting-quality NFL QBs). I think that having a backup who's with you all of practice, training, and during games means a lot. There's always going to be a level of separation between a coach and a player because of the nature of coach/player relationships. If having a backup QB that can relate to and discuss these issues with Lamar in ways that a coach can't, I'd take my chances with that over the best backup available.

I also agree that there's value in having a backup that minimizes drop-off in play from the starter, but in this specific situation where so much of this offense is built around Lamar being the only person on Earth (probably) that can do the things he does, I'm not sure how valuable any backup would be. Huntley did admirable against an injured Chicago defense and in the limited regular season runs he's had against other backups, but this offense isn't a top 30 offense with him behind center.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think we're at the point now where a veteran backup QB makes much of a difference. First 2 years? Absolutely. At this point, he has the tools. We've seen them. But he's panicking/feeling the pressure and losing confidence which is leading to poor mechanics and questionable decision making. No backup QB is going to help him at this point in his career.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt think we have the minds on our offensive staff for lamar to really up his game. We need someone that can show him the correct way to prepare, read defenses and make better presnap reads.. i think his best bet is to reach out to someone for help. His throwing inconsistency gonna always be there but everything else can really up his game like crazy

Then if we feel this way we should call a QB who was mobile played a lot out of the shotgun.

I have a name. That guy has been championing Lamar Jackson since he came into the league and seems to have a soft spot for the Ravens.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then if we feel this way we should call a QB who was mobile played a lot out of the shotgun.

I have a name. That guy has been championing Lamar Jackson since he came into the league and seems to have a soft spot for the Ravens.
Michael Vick ?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The loss isn't the issue. The fact that we have yet more significant injuries, which now leaves us a ravaged secondary (with four strong opponents who have WRs who can beat us) is what has me concerned.

I've officially thrown in the towel on this being a SB contending team. Just too many injuries for that. I'm not yet throwing in the towel on this being a playoff team, but the margin for error is getting smaller.

10-7 I think gets you a playoff spot in the AFC, meaning we need to win 2 more games. 3 wins I think will get us the division title and a home game.
I think the loss will be an issue. This was an NFC team we lost to? Fine. Our remaining 5 games are three divisional games with two NFC games sandwiched in between.

I could care less about the division title. We win it (we won't), cool. The issue is, I don't even know if we win two more games or not. The Browns game is where I expect their offense to play better. I don't trust this offense against their defense that's been playing well minus a couple of games.

Until Lamar and this offense fixes some of the issues, I find it increasingly difficult to believe that they can keep up with the Pack, Bengals, and Rams.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh just mentioned the guy lined up in neutral zone.

The loss is whatever. The loss combined with losing Marlon has me fucking heated. We don't get that PI and we most likely still have our top CB. Also, Wink now is going to have to call coverage cause there's no way in hell we're sending these cbs out in man. Defense might look a lot worse in upcoming weeks, not even considering the level of competition we're going to be up against.
Oh and the dropped picks. It's torture to watch on a weekly basis.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the loss will be an issue. This was an NFC team we lost to? Fine. Our remaining 5 games are three divisional games with two NFC games sandwiched in between.

I could care less about the division title. We win it (we won't), cool. The issue is, I don't even know if we win two more games or not. The Browns game is where I expect their offense to play better. I don't trust this offense against their defense that's been playing well minus a couple of games.

Until Lamar and this offense fixes some of the issues, I find it increasingly difficult to believe that they can keep up with the Pack, Bengals, and Rams.
Right, but my points are a) I expect to lose road divisional games in this division. It's a tight division, and no team is noticeably better or worse than any of the others most weeks. Plus, Pittsburgh was literally playing for its season yesterday and b) a healthy Marlon Humphrey makes a lot of difference to me as to whether we could have kept up with the Rams, Packers and Bengals. Now, I have my doubts, because I don't think those teams would have gone out and scored at will without him.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right, but my points are a) I expect to lose road divisional games in this division. It's a tight division, and no team is noticeably better or worse than any of the others most weeks. Plus, Pittsburgh was literally playing for its season yesterday and b) a healthy Marlon Humphrey makes a lot of difference to me as to whether we could have kept up with the Rams, Packers and Bengals. Now, I have my doubts, because I don't think those teams would have gone out and scored at will without him.

It's scary to think what this defense is going to look like in the next coming weeks up against those arms...

unless of course I use wishful thinking and our pass rush comes alive like it hasn't all year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nah. He's absolutely correct. We were winning "nonsensically" while the Steelers lost two straight while Big Ben announced that this may very well be his last season with the Steelers. Add that to the fact that their season was (still is) on the line AT HOME with that crowd? Yeah, the handwriting was on the wall.
I never said he wasn't right, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the pit of misery.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
With Humphrey ,Elliott and Peters out and Averett somewhat hurt I see no choice but to blitz away .

Blitz or die ! We will probably die but we are going nowhere anyway with these injuries.