• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

Seriously guys, this up and down shit is wild. We have people saying maybe Lamar's not the guy and he desperately needs to find a guru this off-season?! He was superman just 4 weeks ago. Find a happy medium, jeez.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seriously guys, this up and down shit is wild. We have people saying maybe Lamar's not the guy and he desperately needs to find a guru this off-season?! He was superman just 4 weeks ago. Find a happy medium, jeez.

he's still a member of the league's elite QBs

they've all struggled at times this year - Mahomes for example went through a similarly awful multi-game stretch earlier in the year where he was throwing terrible picks constantly

they've all struggled at times this year - Mahomes for example went through a similarly awful multi-game stretch earlier in the year where he was throwing terrible picks constantly
He's no question a top 5 QB in the league. The only guy I'd seriously consider taking over him is Mahomes and even that's a stretch because Lamar is so damn likable. I would love to see him put in the work this off-season to improve reading defences and making pre-snap adjustments because to my untrained eye that's the area it looks like he could grow the most. I think having a mental plan could cut out these lapses into poor technique and inconsistent throws we see sometimes. But he is 100% the guy and he's carried this beat up franchise to a conference-topping record almost by himself, so give him a break when the dead weight gets too much for a couple of weeks!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Further to this - just watched a load of Lamar on the coaches film and the bad throws he's made are clearly making him second guess - throws that we saw him make against the broncos etc. he's just not pulling the trigger right now and i think partly that's because the last few weeks he knows he's been missing some guys in coverage and so he's second guessing himself which is closing the throwing windows or creating more pressure

i think that pick on the first drive messed him up the rest of the game - i think if we kick the FG or we drive down for the TD there then it's a completely different game for lamar

we need him to get out of one of these games clean and then i think you'll see him instantly more confident and assured from there on in - right now he's clearly in his own head on some of these decisions

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

And Mahomes hasn't lost the huge amount of talent we have to injuries. I think the biggest offensive problem is we have bad offensive tackles(when Mekari is out) and we are missing home run hitting Dobbins.

Oh, is Boyle out for good.? Another huge loss to the offense

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad

In my case, perhaps I am a hard head and I tend to stretch the discussion to show my position, it is nothing personal or of will.
I am one of those who when I play well I will say it and when I play badly I will say it.
Obviously it is a personal perception of each one, because I am closer to soccer I do not agree that the "idol" or your mvp cannot be criticized.
About two weeks ago I asked certain things and most of them told me, stay calm, it's a matter of time, and they keep happening.
I said it before Lamar is my qb, from this day and for the rest of the days, although if he does not solve those questions it will be worse.

Further to this - just watched a load of Lamar on the coaches film and the bad throws he's made are clearly making him second guess - throws that we saw him make against the broncos etc. he's just not pulling the trigger right now and i think partly that's because the last few weeks he knows he's been missing some guys in coverage and so he's second guessing himself which is closing the throwing windows or creating more pressure

i think that pick on the first drive messed him up the rest of the game - i think if we kick the FG or we drive down for the TD there then it's a completely different game for lamar

we need him to get out of one of these games clean and then i think you'll see him instantly more confident and assured from there on in - right now he's clearly in his own head on some of these decisions
This bad stretch is definitely in his head. He needs to learn to just move on to the next play and stop beating himself up so much. Take what they give him and stop trying to do too much. Easy for me to say I know but we’ve all seen this type of thing before and it clearly is making things worse for him.

In my case, perhaps I am a hard head and I tend to stretch the discussion to show my position, it is nothing personal or of will.
I am one of those who when I play well I will say it and when I play badly I will say it.
Obviously it is a personal perception of each one, because I am closer to soccer I do not agree that the "idol" or your mvp cannot be criticized.
About two weeks ago I asked certain things and most of them told me, stay calm, it's a matter of time, and they keep happening.
I said it before Lamar is my qb, from this day and for the rest of the days, although if he does not solve those questions it will be worse.
I think you're fine - it was just a comment on the general tone of discussion, which has shifted from "Lamar might literally be Jesus" to "man this guy needs work bad". I think the truth is that he's a top 5 QB going through a rough patch for reasons that are his fault and others that are out of his control. I have no problem with his play being criticized, I was just commenting on the size of the swing in opinion.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
I think you're fine - it was just a comment on the general tone of discussion, which has shifted from "Lamar might literally be Jesus" to "man this guy needs work bad". I think the truth is that he's a top 5 QB going through a rough patch for reasons that are his fault and others that are out of his control. I have no problem with his play being criticized, I was just commenting on the size of the swing in opinion.

you just don't have to read twitter

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

id say mahomes down stretch was far worse and also less excusable than lamars. mahomes was making some of the absolute worst decisions ive ever seen from a qb, let alone an elite one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This bad stretch is definitely in his head. He needs to learn to just move on to the next play and stop beating himself up so much. Take what they give him and stop trying to do too much. Easy for me to say I know but we’ve all seen this type of thing before and it clearly is making things worse for him.

I think it’s more than that though - he started doing that a bit against the Steelers but there were some more aggressive throws that he seemed to turn down that he wouldn’t have 2 months ago

rossihunter2

Staff Member
id say mahomes down stretch was far worse and also less excusable than lamars. mahomes was making some of the absolute worst decisions ive ever seen from a qb, let alone an elite one.

I mean if I’m honest Lamar’s mistakes the last 2 weeks are definitely very reminiscent to some of mahomes’s

The fade away pick he threw on the 1st drive against the Steelers I just don’t understand what he was doing or seeing - literally no idea

I think it’s more than that though - he started doing that a bit against the Steelers but there were some more aggressive throws that he seemed to turn down that he wouldn’t have 2 months ago
Yeah I would agree. I just think he (and Roman) need to figure out how to counter the pressure he’s seeing now vs. a few weeks ago. He was sacked 7 times and pressured allot and you could sense the frustration. IMO he’s always going to have these moments of hesitation and bad throws, but with him he has always overcome them with amazing throws and runs, and figured out how to win games. And TBH he made a great TD throw to get within a point, and a shot at winning or tie the game. I’ve learned to accept the bad with the good with him as long as he doesn’t become THE problem.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've watched the 2 point conversion try multiple times and JJ Watt really disrupted the throw big time. Lamar had to twist and turn and throw at a unusual angle to not get the pass tipped.
Was Watt really supposed to be completely unblocked on this play?
Lamar had a very difficult throw to make there and almost made it. Andrews probably should have caught it but he slowed down a little.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've watched the 2 point conversion try multiple times and JJ Watt really disrupted the throw big time. Lamar had to twist and turn and throw at a unusual angle to not get the pass tipped.
Lamar had a very difficult throw to make there and almost made it. Andrews probably should have caught it but he slowed down a little.
He should have did the jump no look hook shot pass, it was there

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lamar could have made a better pass there. He side stepped himself a passing lane. He just didn't put enough touch on it, or throw it accurately enough for Andrews to get to. A better pass and we win.