• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

Chiefs offense have been awful for the past month or two, they had a great game against the Raiders but have you seen them outside of that? They've had problems of their own and struggling against Denver right now.

I think Roman has his issues for sure but I don't think you replace him, he can't control the abomination of the OL neither can he control the injuries that this team suffers from.

You are correct but I think what people are frustrated about is the lack of adjustments. Excuse my ignorance of play calling terms but why not use quicker throws like if you know our oline sucks. The steelers oline sucks too and Ben's arm strength is definitely gone but look how quick he was getting the ball out. Did we even sack him once? I'm just saying change something lol.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think the question would be, if Joe played behind this offensive line, what would the result be?

It'd probably be 2015 to a T.
2013 had a combination of the worst OL and run game and he was pretty bad on top of getting sacked 48(?) times. I think the Dolphins might have been the only team to give up more sacks.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
You are correct but I think what people are frustrated about is the lack of adjustments. Excuse my ignorance of play calling terms but why not use quicker throws like if you know our oline sucks. The steelers oline sucks too and Ben's arm strength is definitely gone but look how quick he was getting the ball out. Did we even sack him once? I'm just saying change something lol.
Steelers OL sucks but they had a few problems with some of the cover 0 looks we gave them, I think Ben nearly threw two INTs on two cover 0 looks from the defense. We didn't sack him because he had plenty of ATS when we rushed four or five and did a great job of blitz pick ups, something our OL struggle to do. It's not just cover 0 looks, this OL is awful even against four or five man rushes.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
2013 had a combination of the worst OL and run game and he was pretty bad on top of getting sacked 48(?) times. I think the Dolphins might have been the only team to give up more sacks.
I think 2013 gets overrated for how bad they were because of Gradkowski. He was cheeks and then some, but I think if the Ravens didn't have mobile quarterbacks that they'd be in David Carr on the Texans territory.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I don’t think awful is enough. Lamar is gonna get flattened at some point. Myles is gonna tee off next week.
That's this entire OL and Lamar has done a lot to cover how terrible it is, I don't think people realize that enough, it's that bad. I think a traditional pocket QB gets sacked 45+ times behind this OL.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
In training, when wink's blitz 0 is pitted against the offense, "I don't know how the heck to cope with roman's blitz 0".
Who will win? the existential doubt arose

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes, who says we don't get the ball first and score a TD?? Why are yall assuming they get the ball first. I know this is all hypothetical and what ifs but I don't hate the call but I don't like it either.

ok but that's a big if... we needed to win the toss and then have a non-2 minute TD drive (something we hadnt put together since the first half) - a lot of stuff there that's up to chance...

when we had the ball with a chance to score from 2 yards away - that's in our hands and you back yourself to get 2 yards there

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think the question would be, if Joe played behind this offensive line, what would the result be?

It'd probably be 2015 to a T.

We've had a glimpse. People seem to forget that when Lamar started the OL didn't look that good. Couldn't run block and pass blocking was shaky. The team got by on scheme and a huge jump from Jackson in 19. Then what seemingly becoming an annual ritual, the OL fails in the playoffs. A real investment needs to be made there this year and I'm pretty sure the FO agrees.

I can't describe how incredibly hard it is to understand this season. Lamar has played like shit for weeks. The offense as a whole has just been inconsistent or shot themselves in the foot. That said, this is probably at BEST a 3 win team right now without him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well coach... that's on you to coach him to throw it away. He does this every week, he waits in the pocket all day and just takes sacks for no reason.

i mean the whole quote is much more nuanced and illuminating and it ended with "but 7 sacks is too many"...

basically he said that taking sacks is a natural by-product of lamar being aggressive and making things happen but that today was too many times

it's not for no reason

Tank

Hall of Famer
and no wide receivers, lost Pitta, etc., etc., etc.. It was a bad, bad year for the home team.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think 2013 gets overrated for how bad they were because of Gradkowski. He was cheeks and then some, but I think if the Ravens didn't have mobile quarterbacks that they'd be in David Carr on the Texans territory.
They recovered a bit because of Eugene Monroe but AQ Shipley was pretty bad when he took over for Kelechi Osemele. Michael Oher was one of the worst starting Ts. Him and McKinnie were the worst tackle duo from what I can recall. I think Monroe helped improve the OL play a lot but him and Yanda were the only players on the unit that weren't a complete liability that year. It was a pretty awful OL.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Gotta look at the positives. Marlon will have more time for the pod with Stanley. Should make for great content.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
The Ravens drew a good DPI penalty. That was new. Maybe Roman really has pulled out all the stops.
People won't like this but Minkah had great coverage on Brown and was step for step with him, if that ball is placed ahead of Brown then Minkah has a good chance of making the play, the under throw turned Brown around and attracted a PI with Minkah turning Brown by grabbing him.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Is it ridiculous to put some blame on the conditioning coaches, or have all these injuries just been an anomaly?
Anomaly. 2019 we were relatively healthy compared to other teams. It's almost like the Madden Curse had an extended stay......an unwelcomed one at that.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We have Hollywood, Andrews, Watkins, Bateman, Duvernay, we have the playmakers for a good passing game but for some reason we can't get a good passing game going. That is a lot of talent for us to have very low results, an Andy Reid or Sean Payton would have found ways to utilize them and spread out defenses. Like someone said, Roman needs to stick to the run game and let someone else work on the passing game.

I don’t disagree but none of the guys you or I mentioned play OLine and that is huge. Everything starts in the trench’s. Look at Reid last year in the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
They recovered a bit because of Eugene Monroe but AQ Shipley was pretty bad when he took over for Kelechi Osemele. Michael Oher was one of the worst starting Ts. Him and McKinnie were the worst tackle duo from what I can recall. I think Monroe helped improve the OL play a lot but him and Yanda were the only players on the unit that weren't a complete liability that year. It was a pretty awful OL.
I agree- it was pretty atrocious. But they had Osemele for seven games and Monroe for at least half the season. And of course, Yanda.

With this Ravens offensive line, I can't even point to an above average player (which Monroe and Yanda were) at any point this year. I think Bozeman and Zeitler are the best and they're pretty much league average.

And yes, Shipley, Gradkowski, and Oher were cheeks with Gradkowski being one of the worst offenders, but I mean, Powers, Villanaueva, and Phillips are right there with them.