• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

Tank

Hall of Famer
He has to do it all with a suspect O line. The pressure of carrying the team has clearly gotten to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that he has choked under pressure, but there’s been plenty of opportunities there regardless of O line play. Lamar just hasn’t been executing, and yeah it’s between his ears.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I thought Freeman played well today.

2013 O line was the worst ever, much worse than this year. RR bulked up and checked out. It was so frustrating to watch him just fall down even before contact. His head was up his a$$.
2013 wasn't this bad. And the Ravens at least tried to help out by trading for Monroe, who was actually good in 2013.

The 2013 just had a statue to block for and that makes a significant difference.

It feels like we've passed a critical point with Oline health now. Lamar covered up a lot early season, but like we all feared, he couldn't keep it up all year. He's been bad lately - it's related to the line and a natural fluctuation in form. If Marlon really is out now as well then we'll do well to limp into the playoffs even with the headstart we have.

Nurps

MVP
Fuck……. Just…….. FUCK

You folks have a nice evening. I gotta go watch a movie or grill some chicken thighs or some shit. FUCK.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It feels like we've passed a critical point with Oline health now. Lamar covered up a lot early season, but like we all feared, he couldn't keep it up all year. He's been bad lately - it's related to the line and a natural fluctuation in form. If Marlon really is out now as well then we'll do well to limp into the playoffs even with the headstart we have.
I think people mega underrate how much Lamar covers up for the line.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Romo’s primary complaint about Lamar was he needed to get the ball out earlier on several passing plays . This was true but really Lamar is saddled behind the worst oline possibly in the NFL with Mekari out and AV at LT. Lamar is rightly very frustrated and he is making some poor decisions but he is the least of my worries about our team.

Romo was pointing out hot routes that were open on several plays. A continuing theme for Lamar. This tells me he doesn’t understand what the defense is giving him or he is trying to hard for the big play.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
how could you not be? even with a lackluster oline Lamar had been able to figure it out up until a month ago.

it's no secret that the oline is bad, but our best player and unanimous MVP is playing awful for the last month
He took a lot of those throws that people have been asking him to take at the start of the game, but people act like Pittsburgh and other teams are blitzing on every single play, that's not what's happening. They're sending more cover 0 looks than they're accustomed to, but OL has a big problem with communication and blitz pickups and that's where teams have consistently taken advantage of. I mean you can say take the hot reads and yes, he's been inconsistent at it but it goes deeper then that, especially when different guys are dropping into coverage and adjusting to your reads.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Romo’s primary complaint about Lamar was he needed to get the ball out earlier on several passing plays . This was true but really Lamar is saddled behind the worst oline possibly in the NFL with Mekari out and AV at LT. Lamar is rightly very frustrated and he is making some poor decisions but he is the least of my worries about our team.
I know people don't want to hear this but QBs are bound to play rattled when the run game becomes minuscule and the OL starts to play like garbage.

Romo was pointing out hot routes that were open on several plays. A continuing theme for Lamar. This tells me he doesn’t understand what the defense is giving him or he is trying to hard for the big play.

The big plays will happen more often if he takes opportunities early. Even I know that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he pointed it out like 3 times - he also pointed it out when lamar got it right a couple of times too...

but dont let that get in the way of your narrative

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Bad line and good rival rushers, even I (who did not touch a soccer ball in my life) know that we either run or throw the ball fast.
Lamar only sees Brown and Andrews, before he was the only one he had, now he has more weapons, but he looks at them less, he must understand that after 3 years, if he does not diversify the plays, there will be 2 following them, the linebackers waiting Let him start running and the rushers chasing his head, today he gave watt several sacks.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
he pointed it out like 3 times - he also pointed it out when lamar got it right a couple of times too...

but dont let that get in the way of your narrative

What narrative ? That Lamar didn’t play well? He didn’t ….

Early on he took off for some scrambles I haven't seen him attempt lately, including fighting for yards and not getting down. I was thinking to myself he's out for the big play today.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The big plays will happen more often if he takes opportunities early. Even I know that.

Yea he needs to calm down and stop overthinking this stuff. Just take the easy ones.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He took a lot of those throws that people have been asking him to take at the start of the game, but people act like Pittsburgh and other teams are blitzing on every single play, that's not what's happening. They're sending more cover 0 looks than they're accustomed to, but OL has a big problem with communication and blitz pickups and that's where teams have consistently taken advantage of. I mean you can say take the hot reads and yes, he's been inconsistent at it but it goes deeper then that, especially when different guys are dropping into coverage and adjusting to your reads.

as much of the issue has been about the OL screwing up protection when shown the cover-0 look as it has been about lamar not taking the hot read when there really are too many guys to block...

if they show 0 and the DB comes (or whoever) but then drop other guys out, you shouldn't necessarily be taking the hot read in that scenario

looked like the OL actually did pretty well adjusting to those DB blitzes and dealing with those in the 3rd quarter (lamar made some nice protection adjustments at the line and guys actually made their blocks)

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Early on he took off for some scrambles I haven't seen him attempt lately, including fighting for yards and not getting down. I was thinking to myself he's out for the big play today.

He’s an emotional dude for sure , usually for the better , but i think it’s messing him up recently