• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Inside Linebacker Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed, having one pro bowl ILB makes me pause on taking another ILB but taking him allows to us to better use all of our personnel. Mosley at middle, bowser and Evans outside, henry and idk who else at DT, and then Suggs with Judon and twill at DE. I just like a 43 attack style so much better and Evans would allow us to make a seamless transition
Seems like we talk about this every year. Not convinced it would happen.

Agreed, having one pro bowl ILB makes me pause on taking another ILB but taking him allows to us to better use all of our personnel. Mosley at middle, bowser and Evans outside, henry and idk who else at DT, and then Suggs with Judon and twill at DE. I just like a 43 attack style so much better and Evans would allow us to make a seamless transition
So you’re saying Ravens traded Jernigan for no reason? Haha

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nah. Jernigan was traded because we wanted to get at least something for him. He walks in FA, no way we could pay the market price for him.
We received 3rd round value for the tradeup, even though it was a swap of picks. He most likely gets 4th round comp value if he continues to play for us in 2017. We didn’t need him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jernigan was overrated. He was good in spurts, but took plays off. Henry played to the whistle all the time.

jernigan was obviously a great d lineman but he just wasnt a perfect fit for our system (i have to think the system has to be flawed) - obviously it helps when he's playing with fletcher cox and derek barnett but that penetrating wide 9 in philly is unbelievably good for him which is why he got paid so much

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
jernigan was obviously a great d lineman but he just wasnt a perfect fit for our system (i have to think the system has to be flawed) - obviously it helps when he's playing with fletcher cox and derek barnett but that penetrating wide 9 in philly is unbelievably good for him which is why he got paid so much
Yes, that's why I wasn't mad when he went. Philly's scheme fits him, ours doesn't at all. And I understand the FO didn't want to commit to him long term since he was getting gassed out by week 7.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
People clamouring we should've drafted Myles Jack, we've reached unprecedented levels of hypocrisy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jernigan is good, but he's inconsistent. He disappeared for long stretches. Partly due to the system, he's not a 2 gapper, which shows a fucked system, to know we have an excellent 1 gapper but we let him disappear in a scheme because we force him to do other things.

This was always my biggest gripe with pees and I'm glad he's gone for this reason.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Roquan is as good as people say he is. He's not perfect, he's not Foster, I've read here and there that his coverage skills may be overrated. But the speed, the IQ, the range, the tackling are completely insane.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Roquan is as good as people say he is. He's not perfect, he's not Foster, I've read here and there that his coverage skills may be overrated. But the speed, the IQ, the range, the tackling are completely insane.
I think he can be a solid linebacker but he isn't a guy to build around. To be honest he gets eaten up by blockers too easily. His pursuit go get them attitude is great, but if he does not have a defensive line playing at a higher level in front of him I can really really see him struggling. Can he change that? Possibly. He has the speed and athleticism to be a very good linebacker in the league. I just don't believe the top 10 hype when people say he can play 'all linebacker spots'. If you have him just go out there and pursuit and tackle he can be solid but he is not going to shed off tight ends, running backs, and extra offensive linemen alignments.

I like this guy because he stays zeroed in on a player and does not hesitate to get to the ball. And would I be mad if we took him at 16? No because next to Mosley he could do some damage. I just don't believe the top 10 hype. I think he may go high because he may run a 4.4-4.5 at the combine. But I also can see some teams passing on him early because to me his film is very mixed, and too mixed for me to take him top 10.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think he can be a solid linebacker but he isn't a guy to build around. To be honest he gets eaten up by blockers too easily. His pursuit go get them attitude is great, but if he does not have a defensive line playing at a higher level in front of him I can really really see him struggling. Can he change that? Possibly. He has the speed and athleticism to be a very good linebacker in the league. I just don't believe the top 10 hype when people say he can play 'all linebacker spots'. If you have him just go out there and pursuit and tackle he can be solid but he is not going to shed off tight ends, running backs, and extra offensive linemen alignments.

I like this guy because he stays zeroed in on a player and does not hesitate to get to the ball. And would I be mad if we took him at 16? No because next to Mosley he could do some damage. I just don't believe the top 10 hype. I think he may go high because he may run a 4.4-4.5 at the combine. But I also can see some teams passing on him early because to me his film is very mixed, and too mixed for me to take him top 10.
You're right in that he can't do anything you want. His skillset is rather restricted to a certain role. But if you put him in the right scheme he's an instant All Pro. He's basically a stronger and smarter Deion Jones. Jones was schemed open in ATL and now he's a pro bowler. You put Smith next to McMillan in Miami and your defense looks good.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
You're right in that he can't do anything you want. His skillset is rather restricted to a certain role. But if you put him in the right scheme he's an instant All Pro. He's basically a stronger and smarter Deion Jones. Jones was schemed open in ATL and now he's a pro bowler. You put Smith next to McMillan in Miami and your defense looks good.
His talent is great but very restricted that is why I am hesitant with him and a lot of teams. Here he would be good because Mosley and a good d-line but if you are expecting to build a defense around him that will not work.