• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Inside Linebacker Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Darius Leonard strikes me as extremely athletic. A ton of speed and he routinely runs down backs outside. Has good play awareness....not exactly a hitter but pretty good tackler though he at times tackles high. good feel dropping and really good athleticism generally.

Too often stands flat and allows a blocker to get into him ...needs to get stronger....does decent work getting around/off blocks. His length and athleticism overall stand out. Strikes me as a guy The ravens might like.
I'm guessing he will go in the 2nd...3rd at the latest.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I’ve started watching film a lot later this year so I only just dove into Tremaine Edmunds:

Oh my...

If that dude picks up a good tape study habit he’s gonna be incredible - length, closing speed, nice coverage ability in man, reads the qb and the route in zone, sheds blocks or disengages and avoids the wash

He’s incredible
And he’s exciting to watch on film

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So I’ve started watching film a lot later this year so I only just dove into Tremaine Edmunds:

Oh my...

If that dude picks up a good tape study habit he’s gonna be incredible - length, closing speed, nice coverage ability in man, reads the qb and the route in zone, sheds blocks or disengages and avoids the wash

He’s incredible
Yes, he’s incredible

He’s one of my favorite players in this draft. What games did you watch?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Oh my...

He’s incredible
If the motherfucker somehow falls to 16 I don’t care if Wynn or McGlinchey are there. Take him, don’t look back. He’s going to be elite at the pro level. Put him next to CJ who can do all the brain work? He’s a monstrosity

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If the motherfucker somehow falls to 16 I don’t care if Wynn or McGlinchey are there. Take him, don’t look back. He’s going to be elite at the pro level. Put him next to CJ who can do all the brain work? He’s a monstrosity
Run as fast to the podium as you can and don’t trip over Goodell

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Darius Leonard strikes me as extremely athletic. A ton of speed and he routinely runs down backs outside. Has good play awareness....not exactly a hitter but pretty good tackler though he at times tackles high. good feel dropping and really good athleticism generally.

Too often stands flat and allows a blocker to get into him ...needs to get stronger....does decent work getting around/off blocks. His length and athleticism overall stand out. Strikes me as a guy The ravens might like.
I'm guessing he will go in the 2nd...3rd at the latest.

I really like him to. However in the modern nfl throwing league. He probably won’t be available in round 2. He is similar to Telvin Smith Deion Jones and Kwon Alexander. He is tough enough to play ilb. And his hits are pretty solid to. And he has room to bulk up. I would favor trading down into round 2 and pick up an additional round2 pick for a trio round 2 picks. And pick up 3 very good to potentially great players. Leonard would be a consideration. I would draft Will Hernandez, Deon Cain and maybe Leonard or one more oline man. Tough call on that last pick. Whomever fell like Ragnow Price Leonard is consideration

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Run as fast to the podium as you can and don’t trip over Goodell

Just have Edmunds flatten him. League order restored

Forgetaboutit!! Would be cool but not a snowballs chance he is there at 16. To have a realistic chance at a date with him and Derwin James. ravens would have to trade into top10 maybe 12. Which the regime never would. Not in their programming. Going 8-8 9-7 blows!! Not a relevant team. Miss out on a top 10 player. In this case a top5 player cuz of the QBs. Would like Wynn or Hernandez at 16 but would Derwin if he fell to 16 which he wouldn’t. I’m liking Hernandez and I believe he is comparable to Nelson.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Forgetaboutit!! Would be cool but not a snowballs chance he is there at 16. To have a realistic chance at a date with him and Derwin James. ravens would have to trade into top10 maybe 12. Which the regime never would. Not in their programming. Going 8-8 9-7 blows!! Not a relevant team. Miss out on a top 10 player. In this case a top5 player cuz of the QBs. Would like Wynn or Hernandez at 16 but would Derwin if he fell to 16 which he wouldn’t. I’m liking Hernandez and I believe he is comparable to Nelson.
We both know that, btw I heard it’s snowed in Hell the other day

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is probably true, but we've seen weird and crazy slides in a lot of drafts. It seems like there's always some top tier player that somehow slides into the mid to late teens while we expected them to go top ten.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
This is probably true, but we've seen weird and crazy slides in a lot of drafts. It seems like there's always some top tier player that somehow slides into the mid to late teens while we expected them to go top ten.
2018 - Ridley. Then we pass on him.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really like him to. However in the modern nfl throwing league. He probably won’t be available in round 2. He is similar to Telvin Smith Deion Jones and Kwon Alexander. He is tough enough to play ilb. And his hits are pretty solid to. And he has room to bulk up. I would favor trading down into round 2 and pick up an additional round2 pick for a trio round 2 picks. And pick up 3 very good to potentially great players. Leonard would be a consideration. I would draft Will Hernandez, Deon Cain and maybe Leonard or one more oline man. Tough call on that last pick. Whomever fell like Ragnow Price Leonard is consideration
Pretty good chance he's there in round two. Would not surprise me if he's the pick.
It would be nice to get at least one more pick in the 2/3 or fourth round.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
So many athletic tough physical linebackers in this draft. If we are to trade Mosley and not overpay him. This is a good draft to do so. We could sign Norwell resign Jensen and maybe a couple receivers with that $10million extra cap space added to what is saved in cuts and restructures then replace Mosley in the draft with somebody like Rashaan Evans Christian Sam or Leonard. Mosley was one of 3 players I wanted with that pick. But facts are he isn’t an impact difference maker. We waited for him to get better in coverage. Got worse. And his pursuit seems a step slower than college and his rookie year. I know many have hoped for him. But can’t afford to pay one more average player franchise money. Then watch difference makers sign elsewhere while our $12mil linebacker gets cooked in coverage by average TE’s!! Then miss thee playoffs and not have the cap space to sign difference makers in free agency

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So many athletic tough physical linebackers in this draft. If we are to trade Mosley and not overpay him. This is a good draft to do so. We could sign Norwell resign Jensen and maybe a couple receivers with that $10million extra cap space added to what is saved in cuts and restructures then replace Mosley in the draft with somebody like Rashaan Evans Christian Sam or Leonard. Mosley was one of 3 players I wanted with that pick. But facts are he isn’t an impact difference maker. We waited for him to get better in coverage. Got worse. And his pursuit seems a step slower than college and his rookie year. I know many have hoped for him. But can’t afford to pay one more average player franchise money. Then watch difference makers sign elsewhere while our $12mil linebacker gets cooked in coverage by average TE’s!! Then miss thee playoffs and not have the cap space to sign difference makers in free agency
Mosely definitely didn't have that good of a year this year, but he was playing hurt. Last year he was a better overall backer than this year. He definitely deserves his extension, but he we also need another player next to him that he doesn't have to cleanup after. That makes a difference. Putting Correa on the field next to him was like having 10 men on the field.

This year he didn't deserve to go to the pro bowl, but he certainly did in his rookie year and year three.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mosely definitely didn't have that good of a year this year, but he was playing hurt. Last year he was a better overall backer than this year. He definitely deserves his extension, but he we also need another player next to him that he doesn't have to cleanup after. That makes a difference. Putting Correa on the field next to him was like having 10 men on the field.

This year he didn't deserve to go to the pro bowl, but he certainly did in his rookie year and year three.

it's slightly annoying because he was so good the first 2 games of the year as well - he looked dominant in coverage finding the zone and getting in the passing lanes

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it's slightly annoying because he was so good the first 2 games of the year as well - he looked dominant in coverage finding the zone and getting in the passing lanes
he was still plus in coverage as an overall, but game one vs. the Bengals was his best of the year by far.

He also had 3 really bad games in run coverage when Brandon Williams was out, including the game Williams came back agains the Vikings and was getting his sea legs back.